Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Did Anyone Else Get a Crazy Water Bill??

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:00 AM

Yea I don't have a meter in my basement otherwise that would be nice.  

Its hard to fight something with only one meter and the people that you pay, also installed it, and also say it works. 2151 gallons of water a day is alot of F'n water.  

I can't believe it has been years and this is still an ongoing issue.

I am no water expert but you got a real problem. Have you contacted your district rep? Now that the GA is out of session they have the time.

I imagine you like myself like to do things 'the right way' and go through the system. Unfortunately, I am finding that going above some ones head (the higher the better) generally gets almost instantaneous results. Just a suggestion.

#22 TheIcon

TheIcon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,982 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:07 AM

I am no water expert but you got a real problem. Have you contacted your district rep? Now that the GA is out of session they have the time.

I imagine you like myself like to do things 'the right way' and go through the system. Unfortunately, I am finding that going above some ones head (the higher the better) generally gets almost instantaneous results. Just a suggestion.

I haven't yet. They are suppose to come out April 27th to check the meter. However being it is the city I know they are going to shrug their shoulders and say its fine. I like to gather as much info as possible before talking to anyone. I have one or two more tests I want to perform. One filling a 1 gallon bucket and reading what the meter registers. And also I am going away for a few days. I plan on shutting the water off in the house. My wife swears our water line is connected to multiple houses.

I'm a Legend in Japan

#23 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:21 AM

I haven't yet. They are suppose to come out April 27th to check the meter. However being it is the city I know they are going to shrug their shoulders and say its fine. I like to gather as much info as possible before talking to anyone. I have one or two more tests I want to perform. One filling a 1 gallon bucket and reading what the meter registers. And also I am going away for a few days. I plan on shutting the water off in the house. My wife swears our water line is connected to multiple houses.

Good plan. I would suggest you use gallon milk jugs and fill a few. Also number them and take pictures of the filled jugs. Take pics of the reading before and after and be sure the time stamp is on for documentation purposes.

About multiple lines....if you are stand alone newer dwelling....pretty unlikely...unless there is 'space/ between the meter and your home where it could be tapped by someone else. . But if you are in a row house arrangement it is always possible. Especially an older one where water lines tended to be 'common' lines.

Not a plumber just someone with experience with older homes. And just my thoughts.  Good luck!

Edited by Guido2, 11 April 2017 - 08:23 AM.

#24 TheIcon

TheIcon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,982 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:29 AM

Good plan. I would suggest you use gallon milk jugs and fill a few. Also number them and take pictures of the filled jugs. Take pics of the reading before and after and be sure the time stamp is on for documentation purposes.

About multiple lines....if you are stand alone newer dwelling....pretty unlikely...unless there is 'space/ between the meter and your home where it could be tapped by someone else. . But if you are in a row house arrangement it is always possible. Especially an older one where water lines tended to be 'common' lines.

Not a plumber just someone with experience with older homes. And just my thoughts.  Good luck!

Yea I find it hard to believe our line is tapped by another. Especially since about 4 years ago we had our main line replaced by a plumber. Fairly certain if he saw that he would have said something to me.   But I figured I would do it anyway just to cover my bases and to please the wife :)

Good idea too about doc the jugs. Could use the outdoor spout and fill the jugs right next to the meter and get real time results. 

I'm a Legend in Japan

#25 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:53 AM

Yea I find it hard to believe our line is tapped by another. Especially since about 4 years ago we had our main line replaced by a plumber. Fairly certain if he saw that he would have said something to me.   But I figured I would do it anyway just to cover my bases and to please the wife :)

Good idea too about doc the jugs. Could use the outdoor spout and fill the jugs right next to the meter and get real time results. 

Excellent thinking. Take a shot of the meter fill a jug take another shot ....repeat. You may also want to take a picture of the meter readings as soon as you get up and then late in the evening prior to bedtime and water  usage should be down. Do that for a few days and see what you get. It should give you a good baseline to build your case. Again always time stamp.

#26 TheIcon

TheIcon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,982 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:08 AM

Fairly certain I fig out my water meter issues.  My digital meter has 9 numbers on it 000,000.000.  Over top each number is a little line indicating I assume which numbers are recorded in 100cubic feet.  My meter read 000371.000.  Only the first 4-6 numbers should be recorded based on what I read about other counties. However mine records 8 numbers. So my reading should be 371. Im charged based on every 100 cubic ft. Therefor I should be charged 371 divided by 100 = 3.71 cubic feet. However since they recorded more numbers than they should the 371 looks like 37100 divided by 100 = 371. Thus why it appears I am filling up a swimming pool. 

http://bbwsd.com/sit...ensus_iPERL.jpg

Edited by TheIcon, 12 April 2017 - 08:11 AM.

I'm a Legend in Japan

#27 Norman

Norman

Go away you little gnat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,087 posts
  • LocationCoke Butler

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:10 AM

Now try explaining that to the powers that be!

#28 TheIcon

TheIcon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,982 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:38 AM

Damn straight. lol

I'm a Legend in Japan

#29 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:13 PM

Starting at post #26

So you saying the is no ' . ' between the later 3 and the ones to the right? And treating it as a whole number? Yeah norman is correct trying to explain it to 'them' maybe a big undertaking. Especially, if who you are talking to is a product of the BC educational system. ;)  :D 

Your math and reasoning to me is sound. Now is it sound to them? :o

So you have a choice here. Go into the meeting provided they dane to give you one with what you got or put together the picture show as we discussed then go in. Maybe a powerpoint presentation might work. :D

A suggestion; contact your district rep and tell him/her what you have....that might give you some leverage before you even go to a meeting.

I am really interested to hear the results....it seems that maybe why BC is still having problems. Being a former IT programmer/etc. seems to me that you have a case of what happened to one of the Mars landers...the one where the Europeans did the math for entry in metric and the American trackers were using the English.

It is MORE than perfectly possible that several computers that track the water consumption database have two different (or more) sets of tracking code. So one could look at your numbers as XXXxxx or the other could look at it as XXX.xxx.

Sorry about rambling.... I also taught computers in the county and colleges. Does it show? :D

#30 TheIcon

TheIcon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,982 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:28 PM

Starting at post #26

So you saying the is no ' . ' between the later 3 and the ones to the right? And treating it as a whole number? Yeah norman is correct trying to explain it to 'them' maybe a big undertaking. Especially, if who you are talking to is a product of the BC educational system. ;)  :D

Your math and reasoning to me is sound. Now is it sound to them? :o

So you have a choice here. Go into the meeting provided they dane to give you one with what you got or put together the picture show as we discussed then go in. Maybe a powerpoint presentation might work. :D

A suggestion; contact your district rep and tell him/her what you have....that might give you some leverage before you even go to a meeting.

I am really interested to hear the results....it seems that maybe why BC is still having problems. Being a former IT programmer/etc. seems to me that you have a case of what happened to one of the Mars landers...the one where the Europeans did the math for entry in metric and the American trackers were using the English.

It is MORE than perfectly possible that several computers that track the water consumption database have two different (or more) sets of tracking code. So one could look at your numbers as XXXxxx or the other could look at it as XXX.xxx.

Sorry about rambling.... I also taught computers in the county and colleges. Does it show? :D

haha No worries. My main job is testing computer systems for the government and as you know the government makes alot of mistakes so Im use to testing and catching stuff.  I want to crack open my neighbors meter and see if his displays the same as mine or if it is different. 

I'm a Legend in Japan

#31 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:35 AM

haha No worries. My main job is testing computer systems for the government and as you know the government makes alot of mistakes so Im use to testing and catching stuff.  I want to crack open my neighbors meter and see if his displays the same as mine or if it is different. 

Isn't cracking open a bit extreme? :D But doing the same test on it as you do on yours might prove enlightening.

But knowing the way things work.....he will likely be screwed because his meter is under-reporting.

Yah I am cynical....life does that to some people. :cool:

#32 mrdeltoid

mrdeltoid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:01 PM

Mine was as well MM. My wife said my sons girlfriend who was staying with us made the difference. I'm kinda skeptical that she would cause it nearly triple......

Edited by mrdeltoid, 16 April 2017 - 03:02 PM.

#33 TheIcon

TheIcon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,982 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:20 PM

So the water guy came out and sure enough I was correct.  Only the first 4 digits should be recorded. They recorded the first 8 digits. However he says it is a billing issue. So I have to call again downtown and take it up with them. He says he turns in his report and says the meter works properly and the meter reading is "7" where before it was "371" (in reality it should ahve been "3"

The main question I have/had is if these new meters are digital with wifi and cars just drive by and pick up the info. How did my reading turn out incorrect? If mine was incorrect wouldn't everyone on the street be incorrect since it is software driven.  Who knows. They probably still have some dude sitting behind a 246 DX computer crunching numbers on excel spreadsheet.

Edited by TheIcon, 27 April 2017 - 12:22 PM.

I'm a Legend in Japan

#34 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:54 PM

So the water guy came out and sure enough I was correct.  Only the first 4 digits should be recorded. They recorded the first 8 digits. However he says it is a billing issue. So I have to call again downtown and take it up with them. He says he turns in his report and says the meter works properly and the meter reading is "7" where before it was "371" (in reality it should ahve been "3"

The main question I have/had is if these new meters are digital with wifi and cars just drive by and pick up the info. How did my reading turn out incorrect? If mine was incorrect wouldn't everyone on the street be incorrect since it is software driven.  Who knows. They probably still have some dude sitting behind a 246 DX computer crunching numbers on excel spreadsheet.

Thank you very much for taking the time to update. Glad for you to straightened out...well sort of....just cause the report says things in your favor....the trick is to get the pinheads to recognize the problem in the first place. Then getting them to reimburse  you, another.

Well you being read incorrectly maybe that your paricular machines hard wired circuit board had a glitch. Maybe you should walk around and knock on a few doors? Or drop off a flyer explaining your situation. With luck you will have more people that say 'what the?' that never noticed. It is always good to have numbers behind you.

Again good luck....let me know how it works out.

#35 downunder

downunder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 01:35 PM

I checked mine on line 2 weeks ago and it $1200.00 for the month ;( I just haven't got around to calling, I'm obviously not paying, I wasn't even in the country for a month!

#36 Guido2

Guido2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:33 PM

I checked mine on line 2 weeks ago and it $1200.00 for the month ;( I just haven't got around to calling, I'm obviously not paying, I wasn't even in the country for a month!

Watch it .... they will try to sell your house. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users