• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:29 AM

So why all the attention to Britton this spring?  First, Pete had Britton as the 3-1 favorite to win the fifth starter role.  Then he had two follow-on articles speculating on the impact the Jimenez signing would have on Britton's ability to make the rotation or bullpen. Really?  Did Pete watch at all last season or was he asleep?  If he was paying attention he would of seen a guy that posted a 2-3 record,  4.95 ERA, 1.725 WHIP and barely made it out of the fifth inning in any start.  The ultimate clunker came in early Sept in the heat of the wild card race when Zach went 2.1 inning , gave up 6 hits, 4 runs, and 2 walks to the Tribe.  He was unreliable at best. 

This guy has crossed into journeyman status for me.  I don't see Buck every trusting him in the rotation again.  He has worn out his chances just like Arrietta did.  The only conversation here should be whether he can win McFarland's LH long man role.  I never thought he was a legit contender for the fifth starter role even before Jimenez.  Just don't think Buck would stand to be fooled again.  Last word for Pete - Come on Man!

#2 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,719 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:24 AM

Britton is getting all this focus because it's fish or cut bait time. with no options remaining, he either does it now, or the team will need to let him go. the only other option is to use him in the BP. 

personally, I don't think he's ever going to be better than the guy we saw the past 2 seasons. I believe the league figured him out in 2011, and his poor performance since then is nothing more than a pitcher who isn't good enough to make the adjustments. 

of course, I hope I'm wrong. I hope it really was all because of nagging injuries. we'll here's his chance to prove it. he said he's 100% and ready to go. isn't that what Arrieta said last spring?

Edited by weird-O, 20 February 2014 - 08:25 AM.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#3 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,807 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:05 AM

Former top prospect, not doing so well....will get the attention.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#4 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,595 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:31 AM

Another in the pantheon of failed Orioles pitchers.
The kids are alright.

#5 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,488 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:41 AM

Another in the pantheon of failed Orioles pitchers.

Kind of ironic. Remember a few years ago when the talk of this board was how the "young guns" were going to form the best rotation in baseball. :(

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#6 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:45 AM

To me, Britton has always been the Reimold of the pitching staff. Lots of early promise, but then, not so much.

#7 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,274 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:45 AM

Kind of ironic. Remember a few years ago when the talk of this board was how the "young guns" were going to form the best rotation in baseball. :(

Young guns 2 (Gausman, Bundy) are going to form the best rotation.  ;)

#8 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:45 PM

Britton is getting all this focus because it's fish or cut bait time. with no options remaining, he either does it now, or the team will need to let him go. the only other option is to use him in the BP. 

personally, I don't think he's ever going to be better than the guy we saw the past 2 seasons. I believe the league figured him out in 2011, and his poor performance since then is nothing more than a pitcher who isn't good enough to make the adjustments. 

of course, I hope I'm wrong. I hope it really was all because of nagging injuries. we'll here's his chance to prove it. he said he's 100% and ready to go. isn't that what Arrieta said last spring?

Yeah I get it that Britton is out of options and no one wants to lose a valuable asset on the waiver wire.  But Britton has been irrelevant for two years and his trade value is about nil. How about he post 15 or 16 lights out innings in spring training before we even start this conversation.  Then write a couple articles that he is forcing the O's hand or teams are scouting him for a trade.  And yeah I hope he does well so he either is in the bullpen or we can get a mid level prospect for him. But at this point he is nothing more than a journeyman fighting for a long relief spot ala josh Stinson.  This is a classic case of the Sun writers over-valuing an Oriole asset.  Schmuck and Connally are the same guys who thought the O's would definitely bring back Roberts and McClouth and that we needed them.  Sorry, replaced by cheaper and younger talent that will do about the same job (Lough and Flaherty/Weeks/Schoop). 

All I can say is thank god we signed Jimenez so Britton is out of consideration for the rotation.

#9 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,054 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

I counseled since way back in 2009 that AM was an idiot.  Too bad it took the rest of the Board a lot longer to figure it out.

#10 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,328 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:26 PM

People gave Britton some rope because he pitched very well until he hurt his shoulder and that can be a pretty tricky thing for pitchers.  I agree that at this point it's now or never.

#11 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:05 PM

Britton is being shopped around and he's been mentioned in the Ike Davis rumors.  The Mets wanted Rodriguez and the O's countered with Britton. The Mets have no spot for Davis and his value around the league is eh.  If the O's can get the Mets to take Britton, it enables the O's to fill their DH/LF space with Ike and use the money they might otherwise spend on Morales or Cruz to bring in Santana on a 3yr, $33M deal. 

The $17M mentioned by DD was based on revenue room in the budget with no factor given to the additional MLB TV revenue.  Angelos may be historically greedy but he's not averse to a deal when he can get it.  He's got wiggle room in his wallet and Jimenez at $12M and Santana at $11M qualify as deals when held up to the light cast by the Arroyo, Burnett, Feldman, Hudson and Nolasco contracts.

#12 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:05 AM

I counseled since way back in 2009 that AM was an idiot.  Too bad it took the rest of the Board a lot longer to figure it out.

The first itme I heard the sound bite 'grow the arms, buy the bats' I knew McPhail was phoning it in.  It is not at all ironic the only draftees of value in recent years are all position players.

Pitching is a volatile resource.  But most still embrace that foolish drivel. 

The best strategy is comprehensive not selective. And by buying bats, you are foolishly discounting fielding/defense. The Ravens pick based on best available.  That's what any draft should entail.  Otherwise, you get too many Hobgoods and not enough BRobs.

But it's easy to be Mr. Hindsight.  How many saw DDs moves this offseason as prudent?  DD spent last year building depth at the major league level and this offseason he has searched far and wide for minor league depth.  He waited for the market to correct itself and watched others add guys like Feldman and Nolacso when it appeared the big three would be unaffordable.  But, once folks like Vargas, Hughes and Kazmir filled the openings elsewhere, it provided DD an opportunity and in spite of internal ownership obstacles far beyond our mortal comprehension, he managed to add both an innings eater and a project with potential.  

Now, he's still working it and as it stands, the O's are likely the best alternative Santana, Cruz, Morales or any other free agent might have at playing for a winner in 2014 and getting paid for it.  I read on another outlet that the O's are waving one deal of 2-3 yrs at $10-12M per to Santana and Morales.  Whoever bites first becomes the next O.  Bringing in both Jimenez and Santana presents intriguing possibilities but it's all about buying arms and growing bats for a change!!!  How's Dan Duquette doing??????

#13 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,054 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

The first itme I heard the sound bite 'grow the arms, buy the bats' I knew McPhail was phoning it in.  It is not at all ironic the only draftees of value in recent years are all position players.
Pitching is a volatile resource.  But most still embrace that foolish drivel. 

The best strategy is comprehensive not selective. And by buying bats, you are foolishly discounting fielding/defense. The Ravens pick based on best available.  That's what any draft should entail.  Otherwise, you get too many Hobgoods and not enough BRobs.

But it's easy to be Mr. Hindsight.  How many saw DDs moves this offseason as prudent?  DD spent last year building depth at the major league level and this offseason he has searched far and wide for minor league depth.  He waited for the market to correct itself and watched others add guys like Feldman and Nolacso when it appeared the big three would be unaffordable.  But, once folks like Vargas, Hughes and Kazmir filled the openings elsewhere, it provided DD an opportunity and in spite of internal ownership obstacles far beyond our mortal comprehension, he managed to add both an innings eater and a project with potential.  

Now, he's still working it and as it stands, the O's are likely the best alternative Santana, Cruz, Morales or any other free agent might have at playing for a winner in 2014 and getting paid for it.  I read on another outlet that the O's are waving one deal of 2-3 yrs at $10-12M per to Santana and Morales.  Whoever bites first becomes the next O.  Bringing in both Jimenez and Santana presents intriguing possibilities but it's all about buying arms and growing bats for a change!!!  How's Dan Duquette doing??????

Weenie, your perspectives are very thoughtful and you're a giant among the posters on this Board. As for DD, he has the major advantage of excellent bloodlines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users