• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 benhur

benhur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

Can someone tell me why any coach would have a HS kid sat out a season or reclassify? I just do not understand it. Isn't HS suppose to be about getting an education? There is something about this trend that rubs this old-timer the wrong way. It looks like people are saying to hell with education, school loyalty, honor, ethics, team loyalty, and etc. Whatever is going on smells! I do not think I would want to share a cubicle, huddle or foxhole with someone who would cut and run so easily.

Edited by benhur, 20 February 2014 - 09:51 PM.

#2 Buford

Buford

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

High School is NOT about education if you play sports...

At least that is what I noticed with my two sons...

College is even worse.

Awesomeness - An unmeasurable amount of awesomenimity something can produce

#3 harcohorns

harcohorns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:49 PM

Sad but true

#4 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:15 PM

Every time I see this happen I shake my head in disgrace as a parent.  It's one thing if a kid gets hurt or is struggling in school, but just to do it hoping they will grow, get stronger, or faster is very sad.   When I see this I tell people most of these parents see the child as their 401k and want the attention that goes along with it.   

#5 harcohorns

harcohorns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

Every time I see this happen I shake my head in disgrace as a parent.  It's one thing if a kid gets hurt or is struggling in school, but just to do it hoping they will grow, get stronger, or faster is very sad.   When I see this I tell people most of these parents see the child as their 401k and want the attention that goes along with it.   

Also sad but true...   You just nailed the type of parent that would send their child to a scholarship factory and give up a quality education and possible academic package...  Not only in HS but College as well...  They don't realize a degree from a school like Yale is worth more over time than going to a BCS football school getting a bull crap degree if they graduate at all...  Its all chest thumping from rec to college  In the end the kid suffers and ends up back where they came from when the sport has used up all it can from them.

What is even crazier is the whole thing is parents believe it all about free college for their kids but in reaiity many of them are not even academically qualified for college.. the reason why so many dont even get a degree,,,  The dream in reality is the NFL..  Which is nothing more than a lottery ticket

Edited by harcohorns, 20 February 2014 - 02:48 PM.

#6 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:17 PM

In some cases it is bad... reclassing for the benefit of a coach having a better team is disgusting, but if it benefits the kids by either getting gpa up or getting offers it is ok by me

#7 harcohorns

harcohorns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:31 PM

In some cases it is bad... reclassing for the benefit of a coach having a better team is disgusting, but if it benefits the kids by either getting gpa up or getting offers it is ok by me

Really?  If you don't have the GPA after 4 years of HS for college( which is not even remotely hard) or if you need a 5th year to get a scholly then are you not taking away from other kids who who are qualified and are age appropriate an opportunity as well?

Why should a kid who needs and extra year to academically qualify or to physically mature take opportunities from other kids who don't?    Oh because it "my" kids  Yeah i care about kids but only "my" kids

Its one thing to break the rules to give your kids an equal opportunity its another thing to break rules to give your kids an advantage over other kids...   

The thing about college schollys is there are only so many... for every kid that gets one there is a kid that doesn't...

As far as I  am concerned there are way too many 19 year old high school seniors taking opportunities from 17 year old high school seniors not only in Md but everywhere...

Edited by harcohorns, 20 February 2014 - 06:57 PM.

#8 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

Harco I'm right with you... I haven't been put in the situation yet of having kid with d1 offers but gpa isn't high enough.... Or d1 potential but was a late bloomer and needs a extra year to be noticed... Idk what I would do honestly.... I think if my child needed to reclassify to get 4 years of college paid for I will...

But if it's because a coach wants Him to transfer to his school and sit out a year? Hell no

#9 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:56 PM

That's why they have prep school.

#10 harcohorns

harcohorns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

That's why they have prep school.

Which is essentially a part of what ECA is...  ECA's stated goal is quite simply getting kids to college by any means athletic, academic or financial aide..  They are an alternative option to traditional high school... The football team is what it is.. They don't claim to be a traditional HS football team so really either your school chooses to play them or not.. Its not like they are taking state or league play-off spots from anyone.. They are what they are... 

if you don't like what they are then don't play them and don't send your kid there, Its that simple

Edited by harcohorns, 20 February 2014 - 06:12 PM.

#11 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:16 PM

Harco that was very well said... Great point

#12 sparky1

sparky1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:21 PM

Getting kids to college is a laudable goal. More important, in my eyes is how the students do in college. It is not an unusual situation to have a young man or woman get to college and be back at the end of the semester or first year because while they got though the door they were not equipped to deal with the college environment and requirements. 

I think the idea of alternatives to traditional schools are fine, but the goal of just getting into college is not enough, it is to be successful in college-- and when a student finds themselves in a college classroom I think they find it much more real than virtual. 

#13 harcohorns

harcohorns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

Getting kids to college is a laudable goal. More important, in my eyes is how the students do in college. It is not an unusual situation to have a young man or woman get to college and be back at the end of the semester or first year because while they got though the door they were not equipped to deal with the college environment and requirements. 

I think the idea of alternatives to traditional schools are fine, but the goal of just getting into college is not enough, it is to be successful in college-- and when a student finds themselves in a college classroom I think they find it much more real than virtual. 

Sparky  I agree,,, it has yet to be proven how the virtual schooling translates to college (as it pertains to athletes)... We wont know for a couple years.. the proof will always be in the pudding...  We do know virtual learning works for the high IQ kids in accelerating their progress but the regular kids it i is as of yet to be determined...

Edited by harcohorns, 20 February 2014 - 08:25 PM.

#14 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:27 PM

You have to remember also that unlike most online students... There are teachers in the classroom for each core subject to help...

#15 harcohorns

harcohorns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:43 PM

You have to remember also that unlike most online students... There are teachers in the classroom for each core subject to help...

Really?  My kid was there and needed help from one of the two teachers and was told... " I cant help you because I don't know the lesson"    Why?  The two teachers there were focused on the seniors and getting them qualified for NCAA...  They were not in the class rooms they were in their offices doing one on ones with the kids who  kids needed to qualify or pass the SAT... That is the real...   They have two live teachers  for 70 kids grades 6-12 and many subjects..  I don't blame the teachers for not helping my son..  No one could expect her to know all the lesson plans for 7 grades and all the subjects..  HSFB  there are not teachers in class to help the kids for each core subject .. My son told me most of the day they were in a room with no adult and pretty much most of the kids were surfing you tube or rivals reading their  pressers. 

Edited by harcohorns, 21 February 2014 - 06:34 AM.

#16 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

Harco when was this ? This may have been two years ago... And just by the sound of that I think I know the teacher you are speaking of... She has since been let go.

I know for a fact that there are 5 teachers there, the early stages were rough in those areas you speak of... And the system wasn't yet tailored for the way ECA is using it. But I'm telling you from a Parents stand point that if you walk in the school tomorrow it is a completely different sight...

Edited by HSFBLover, 20 February 2014 - 08:59 PM.

#17 harcohorns

harcohorns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:07 PM

Harco when was this ? This may have been two years ago... And just by the sound of that I think I know the teacher you are speaking of... She has since been let go.

I know for a fact that there are 5 teachers there, the early stages were rough in those areas you speak of... And the system wasn't yet tailored for the way ECA is using it. But I'm telling you from a Parents stand point that if you walk in the school tomorrow it is a completely different sight...

That may be true.. and yes it was the first semester they existed.. but is was enough to send us running...   It may be different now I will give you that as honestly I don't know,,,  So I will take your word for it..

+

Edited by harcohorns, 20 February 2014 - 09:09 PM.

#18 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:41 PM

Also I want to add...

I have no reason to defend them. My nephew is a senior and while he did not go out the way that he wanted to due to injury...

I just don't like when people bash them so harshly. I know that from the outside they may seem crazy, and football driven, and I know that that they were not anywhere near as focused on the academic side of things in the early years as they should have been. But I motley blame this on the fact that they just honestly were not prepared.

I can honestly say that they are truly trying to push academics now and turn it onto a respectable honest alternative academic program.

My nephew is far from the most talented player on that team but he was still good. And thing I love abt the staff over there is how dedicated they are to getting him to college... Even more so than the bigger named seniors on the team.

He will most likely end up going a low d1-aa or d2/d3 school but he, and us as his family are very happy because of the path that he was heading as a student and person, the program changed both.

#19 jtowne-swim

jtowne-swim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,307 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:07 PM

Can someone tell me why any coach would have a HS kid sat out a season or reclassify? I just do not understand it. Isn't HS suppose to be about getting an education? There is something about this trend that rubs this old-timer the wrong way. It looks like people are saying to hell with education, school loyalty, honor, ethics, team loyalty, and etc. Whatever is going on smells! I do not think I would want to share a cubicle, huddle or foxhole with someone who would cut and run so easily.

Luckily we don't have that problem in MD public schools cause you can't do it!
In 20 years....... when global warming causes the polar ice caps to melt....... and the whole planet floods. Swimmers will rule the World:cool: !

ACTION....ADVENTURE.....EXCITEMENT....A Jedi seeks not these things.:D
-Master Yoda

#20 harcohorns

harcohorns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:29 PM

Also I want to add...

I have no reason to defend them. My nephew is a senior and while he did not go out the way that he wanted to due to injury...

I just don't like when people bash them so harshly. I know that from the outside they may seem crazy, and football driven, and I know that that they were not anywhere near as focused on the academic side of things in the early years as they should have been. But I motley blame this on the fact that they just honestly were not prepared.

I can honestly say that they are truly trying to push academics now and turn it onto a respectable honest alternative academic program.

My nephew is far from the most talented player on that team but he was still good. And thing I love abt the staff over there is how dedicated they are to getting him to college... Even more so than the bigger named seniors on the team.

He will most likely end up going a low d1-aa or d2/d3 school but he, and us as his family are very happy because of the path that he was heading as a student and person, the program changed both.

HSFB  I appreciate the honesty but  if you ask yourself would your nephew have been just as well off attending one of the private schools ( they all get kids into college one way or another and have the clout to do so)   In the end and what I asked myself when we left.ECA is  "What will a diploma from this school be worth?"

Edited by harcohorns, 21 February 2014 - 01:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users