Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Far from home

Multiple Sources - O's close on Cruz

30 posts in this topic

Definitely not a fan of this signing, but it does make the lineup probably the longest in baseball. Are they going to play him in the OF? I hope not - Lough is far superior.

The only thing I can think is that the O's know this is their year, and that they are probably going to trade Wieters next offseason, so they want to get the most out of this team as it is constructed.

At least they are finally being aggressive.

Who? NVM

9:11am: Cruz and the Orioles have mostly been discussing the possibility of a one-year deal, ESPN's Jayson Stark tweets.

7:02am: The Orioles are close to a deal with slugger Nelson Cruz, reports Jon Heyman of CBS Sports.  Heyman adds, "There are still a couple issues to be resolved, according to sources, though a deal looks extremely likely."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

I don't know about giving up a draft pick on a 1 yr deal. His hitting numbers are decent though

Edited by bmore_ken

Who? NVM

9:11am: Cruz and the Orioles have mostly been discussing the possibility of a one-year deal, ESPN's Jayson Stark tweets.

7:02am: The Orioles are close to a deal with slugger Nelson Cruz, reports Jon Heyman of CBS Sports.  Heyman adds, "There are still a couple issues to be resolved, according to sources, though a deal looks extremely likely."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

I don't know about giving up a draft pick on a 1 yr deal. His hitting numbers are decent though

ESPN Deportes is reporting that it is a 750K/1 yr deal.

Wow.

edit: it's 8 mil with 750K incentives....

Edited by Far from home

Davis and Cruz were a nice, complementary power combo in Texas.  I expected great things from them but the Rangers gave up on Davis and now Cruz joins Crush via free agency.  Lots of dingers next summer at the Yard.

He's averaged 27 homers the last 5 seasons. He's relatively cheap and it's a one year deal. The only downside I see  is giving up a draft pick on a 1 year deal

I agree 100%. Maybe the O's figure the cost of the draft pick balances out against the salary. 

I agree 100%. Maybe the O's figure the cost of the draft pick balances out against the salary. 

Probably. Especially if they're trying to win now. Overall I like the move

The draft pick is #55. I wonder how many past #55s are major league players now. My concern is as above - is he the same hitter without the PEDs?

$8 mil for one season seems worth the risk.

I think his age poses more of a risk for his future production than the lack of PEDs... 

$8 mil for one season seems worth the risk.

I think his age poses more of a risk for his future production than the lack of PEDs...

Hitters tend to be affected by age a little later than pitchers. He's only 33, so I'm unconcerned.

Hitters tend to be affected by age a little later than pitchers. He's only 33, so I'm unconcerned.

That's not true for hitters anymore. In the post-PED era, most hitters are peaking around age 26(or earlier) and declining from that point onward. The Angels are learning this lesson the hard way with the Pujols and Hamilton contracts. The Braves appear to be investing in their younger players because the under age-30 years is where teams are getting the most value from baseball players these days.

Fangraphs - "Are Aging Curves Changing?"

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/hitters-no-longer-peak-only-decline/

With that said, a one year deal for Cruz is a good deal for the Orioles. They're not overpaying him for his decline years...

Edited by soulflower

The thing I find curious is Cruz hits right handed.  With Young and Reimold already on board, I suspect the early reports on Nolan are not good.  Otherwise, a more expensive switch hitter might have been preferred.

The thing I find curious is Cruz hits right handed.  With Young and Reimold already on board, I suspect the early reports on Nolan are not good.  Otherwise, a more expensive switch hitter might have been preferred.

Like who?

That's not true for hitters anymore. In the post-PED era, most hitters are peaking around age 26(or earlier) and declining from that point onward. The Angels are learning this lesson the hard way with the Pujols and Hamilton contracts. The Braves appear to be investing in their younger players because the under age-30 years is where teams are getting the most value from baseball players these days.

Fangraphs - "Are Aging Curves Changing?"

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/hitters-no-longer-peak-only-decline/

With that said, a one year deal for Cruz is a good deal for the Orioles. They're not overpaying him for his decline years...

There are other variables with Pujols and Hamilton though, not the least of which are injuries. There are still plenty of early 30s players that are very good hitters. Granderson, Beltran (mid-late 30s in his case), Ortiz (Late 30s there too), and a host of others are still doing very well. Also, the peak years are from 27-32 for the most part. There's no way they decline from 26 onward.