#1 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,642 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

1 year, 8 million.

I would have preferred Morales, but meh. Not bad.
The kids are alright.

#2 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,324 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:28 PM

1 year, 8 million.

I would have preferred Mike Trout. 

#3 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:33 PM

We've heard folks claim Cruz is bad in the field.  Yet, I wonder if Camden Yards is vanilla enough to enable this guy to bump Nick over to left on occasion.  I heard elsewhere he has a better arm than Nick.  In the end, he's a cheaper, more versatile alternative to Morales. 

Are they done now?  

#4 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,996 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:35 PM

Are they done now?  

Looks like it to me. I'm happy with the team as constructed. I couldn't have said that a week ago

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#5 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

Looks like it to me. I'm happy with the team as constructed. I couldn't have said that a week ago

Wow! Now that's saying something!

#6 Mr. Buzzcut

Mr. Buzzcut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,174 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

1 year, 8 million.

I guess it's decent -- though I prefered Morales -- as long as Cruz never plays in the field.

The should-have-been final out of the 2011 World Series is burned in my memory!  :o

Edited by Mr. Buzzcut, 22 February 2014 - 04:34 PM.

#7 larsanderson

larsanderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:38 PM

Strikes out often, hits into double plays, weak OBP sine he turned 30 ( and who really knows how old DRs are?) he's not wanted by his old team and he takes a pay cut to play for the Orioles. This is his last stop.

O's get the scraps and the fans think its surf and turf.

#8 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:45 PM

We've heard folks claim Cruz is bad in the field.  Yet, I wonder if Camden Yards is vanilla enough to enable this guy to bump Nick over to left on occasion.  I heard elsewhere he has a better arm than Nick.  In the end, he's a cheaper, more versatile alternative to Morales. 

Are they done now?  

Is it me but I always heard that Nick had a great arm

#9 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:46 PM

Strikes out often, hits into double plays, weak OBP sine he turned 30 ( and who really knows how old DRs are?) he's not wanted by his old team and he takes a pay cut to play for the Orioles. This is his last stop.

O's get the scraps and the fans think its surf and turf.

27 homeruns and 76 rbi's in 106 games but yeah, whatever...

#10 larsanderson

larsanderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

27 homeruns and 76 rbi's in 106 games but yeah, whatever...

the rest of baseball was knocking down his door to offer him multiple year contracts but he wanted to take a short contract with a team with a rich history of rewarding performance and a winning tradition over the last 30 years

Edited by larsanderson, 22 February 2014 - 08:23 PM.

#11 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:02 PM

the rest of baseball was knocking down his door to offer him multiple year contracts but he wanted to take a short contract with a team with a rich history of rewarding performance and a winning tradition over the last 30 years

Does he bolster the lineup of a team that came up short offensively in the playoffs in 2012 and almost made the playoffs in 2013? Yes. 

#12 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,996 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:04 PM

Does he bolster the lineup of a team that came up short offensively in the playoffs in 2012 and almost made the playoffs in 2013? Yes. 

Stop making sense

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#13 larsanderson

larsanderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:18 PM

who knows how he will do if he's not cheating any more and tells his true age?

You mean is he the cheapest option to bolster the lineup? There were better players but they weren't scraps and cheap.

You get what you pay for,

#14 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,413 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

So this guy turned down a qualifying offer (~14 million) and then accepted 8 million? Well done.

#15 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,413 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:37 PM

We've heard folks claim Cruz is bad in the field. Yet, I wonder if Camden Yards is vanilla enough to enable this guy to bump Nick over to left on occasion. I heard elsewhere he has a better arm than Nick. In the end, he's a cheaper, more versatile alternative to Morales.

He is that bad in the field. RF has the scoreboard and the garage door thing. I don't want to see him even try to master that stuff. Make him the every day DH.

#16 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:14 AM

He is that bad in the field. RF has the scoreboard and the garage door thing. I don't want to see him even try to master that stuff. Make him the every day DH.

Interesting.  I've heard the pundits make mention of how easy right is at the Yard.  The corner is reputedly difficult but the scoreboard is short and Jones as the backup allows Nick to gamble.  The ricochets are allegedly easy to anticipate.  I've heard others say all you need in right is an arm since the range is modest and predictable.

I always heard how left was far more demanding.  It makes me wonder if Nick is at some point the logical choice in left.  If Delmon Young makes the club, they'll have to find a means of accommodating him in the lineup.  IMO, Young is worse than Cruz with the glove and only fits as a DH.  But Cruz is too valuable to be a platoon guy.  If he plays in the field would he fit in better in left or right?

#17 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:07 AM

I know the draft is a crap shoot, and I don't really mind this signing, but the Orioles first pick in June will be the 91st overall pick.

#18 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,898 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:56 PM

Interesting.  I've heard the pundits make mention of how easy right is at the Yard.  The corner is reputedly difficult but the scoreboard is short and Jones as the backup allows Nick to gamble.  The ricochets are allegedly easy to anticipate.  I've heard others say all you need in right is an arm since the range is modest and predictable.

I always heard how left was far more demanding.  It makes me wonder if Nick is at some point the logical choice in left.  If Delmon Young makes the club, they'll have to find a means of accommodating him in the lineup.  IMO, Young is worse than Cruz with the glove and only fits as a DH.  But Cruz is too valuable to be a platoon guy.  If he plays in the field would he fit in better in left or right?

The way people downplay OPACY is the reason that the OFers have such a hard time looking good on paper.
It's all baloney.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#19 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,866 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:39 PM

aside from playing inter-league games in a NL park, I can't imagine why they would ever use him in a defensive position. and even then, I would take it on a game by game basis. if the team hits an NL town and is scuffling offensively, then put him out there. otherwise, I'd rather have the better D and use him to PH.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#20 justforfun

justforfun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

So he choose the O's....lol.lmao.rolmao

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users