Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Will this be our opening day 25-man roster?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,906 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:19 PM

SP1 - Tillman
SP2 - Jimenez
SP3 - Chen
SP4 - Gonzalez
SP5 - Norris

RPRH - Yoon
RPRH - O'Day
RPRH - Webb
RPLH - Matusz
RPLH - Britton
CP - Hunter

1B - Davis
2B - Flaherty
SS - Hardy
3B - Machado
DH - Cruz
 C - Wieters
LF - Reimold
CF - Jones
RF - Markakis

IF - Almanzar
IF - Weeks
OF - Lough
OF - Pearce
 C - Clevenger

#2 Morgan208

Morgan208

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

Swap Lough for reimhold in the lineup and young for pearce on the bench.

#3 babylinux

babylinux

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,956 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

Hopefully swap E. Santana for Norris also

#4 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,835 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

SP1 - Tillman
SP2 - Jimenez
SP3 - Chen
SP4 - Gonzalez
SP5 - Norris

RPRH - Yoon
RPRH - O'Day
RPRH - Webb
RPLH - Matusz
RPLH - Britton
CP - Hunter

1B - Davis
2B - Flaherty
SS - Hardy
3B - Machado
DH - Cruz
 C - Wieters
LF - Reimold
CF - Jones
RF - Markakis

IF - Almanzar
IF - Weeks
OF - Lough
OF - Pearce
 C - Clevenger

Until Reimold goes down, we move Cruz to Left and have to hunt for a DH. I'm guessing 5 games  :D

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#5 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,695 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:34 AM

Lough is going to be in there. He doesn't have to hit that well to get the nod. I also don't think Yoon, Machado and Britton will be on the ML roster to start the season. Yoon will probably need more time in the minors, Machado will still be in recovery, and Britton will be on another team barring a major injury in the rotation. This is a pretty good lineup and a decent rotation.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#6 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:37 AM

Second base and left field is going to be ongoing nightmares

#7 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,868 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:56 AM

Hopefully swap E. Santana for Norris also

I'd be shocked to see that move. 5th starters don't need to do much more than give you innings and a reasonable chance to win. it's almost a waste of money to have an expensive 5th starter, because they get bounced from starts due to all the off days in the early part of the season, and then with rainouts and the AS break later in the season. if they signed Santana, they would literally be overcrowded with starting pitchers (I can't believe I can type that about the O's). :huh:  

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#8 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,695 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:56 AM

??
Flaherty was the best 2b on the team last year. The only reason why he didn't start full time is because of BRob's contract.
Lough is a GG caliber outfielder. He's not a power bat, but he's replacing Nate, not Torii Hunter. He will be fine.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#9 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,868 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:04 AM

defensively speaking, 2b is set. Flaherty will provide +D. with the addition of Cruz, they can accept less of a stick at 2B. especially since they have a power hitting CFer. most teams don't have that luxury. Lough is a big mystery since he doesn't have any real track record to look at. but there must be something to him, since they gave away Valencia. if the D is solid, they don't need to maximize offense at every position. good D will reduce an opposing team's run totals. and a player's D doesn't tend to go into extended slumps the way a bat can.    

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#10 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:28 PM

??
Flaherty was the best 2b on the team last year. The only reason why he didn't start full time is because of BRob's contract.
Lough is a GG caliber outfielder. He's not a power bat, but he's replacing Nate, not Torii Hunter. He will be fine.

IIRC Flaherty was heating up at the plate just before Roberts returned, and he's far better defensively than BRob at this late stage in his career.

#11 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,868 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:47 PM

IIRC Flaherty was heating up at the plate just before Roberts returned, and he's far better defensively than BRob at this late stage in his career.

Flaherty is in the prime of his career. and for the first time ever, he looks like he is in a position where 2B his his to lose. that's never been the case for him before, and it probably made him press too much at the plate. 

it looks like the conservative approach to Manny's recovery is going to keep him out for the first 3 weeks. so Ryan is most probably going to play 3B during that time. if he can start off well, not necessarily explode, he should be handed the 2B job when Manny returns. I like Flaherty. I never understood why Buck would use Castilla over him. I think regular playing time will make him a solid contributor to the offense.

#12 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,835 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

If those are the only two issues we're in good shape

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#13 daravenator

daravenator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,076 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

I'm pulling for Jemile Weeks a couple years ago he put up good numbers and can steal bases. Lets hope he gets his swing back, he was doing ok in the minors last year.

#14 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

I'm pulling for Jemile Weeks a couple years ago he put up good numbers and can steal bases. Lets hope he gets his swing back, he was doing ok in the minors last year.

Weeks is the current best choice IMO to leadoff against lefties while Lough slots into the leadoff spot against righthanded pitchers. Both can steal bases and serve as table setters. Flaherty bats 9th versus righthanders and Reimold will hit ninth against lefties until he breaks down and gets nudged aside for Young.

#15 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,549 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:47 PM

I don't think I'll be able to take much of Tommy Hunter as closer.

#16 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

Not defensively. Flattery is very solid at 2b and David Lough is a very good defender.

Offensively, the O's seem to think that Flattery is going to pop but I am dubious.

#17 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:40 PM

I see Stinson and Peguero forcing their way on to the 25 man roster.  Along with the Cruz signing, I see Nolan being DFA'd.  Maybe traded for a low level prospect if he can show something in spring training.  So I got Yoon going to Norfolk for awhile. Patton's return, McFarland in the wings and anything out of Dela Cruz put Britton on bubble by May if he even makes it that long.

#18 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,868 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:49 PM

I think Reimold is here until he gets hurt. if they DFA him, it won't be until later in the season to make room for a mid-season trade, or to call up someone who is blowing up in the minors. either way, Nolan is most certainly entering his last season with the O's. I can't see them committing any real money to sign him as a FA. and if all he's going to get is a few $100K, he'll likely go someplace were he thinks he can be a starter.

I don't have anything real positive to say about the guy, but I don't dislike him. he seems to have the skills, but he's a china doll.

#19 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

I think Reimold is here until he gets hurt. if they DFA him, it won't be until later in the season to make room for a mid-season trade, or to call up someone who is blowing up in the minors. either way, Nolan is most certainly entering his last season with the O's. I can't see them committing any real money to sign him as a FA. and if all he's going to get is a few $100K, he'll likely go someplace were he thinks he can be a starter.

I don't have anything real positive to say about the guy, but I don't dislike him. he seems to have the skills, but he's a china doll.

Does Peguero have any options left?  If he doesn't and plays well he will be on team.  DD loves this guy and his versatility.  If they have that much attachment to Nolan, (million bucks he is getting will help) then maybe Pearce is in trouble.  I guess it depends on what Almanzar shows if he can play first and makes the team.  The one thing Pearce has over Reimold is the first base defense.  And he is a bench player.  Both seem injury prone.

#20 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:46 PM

IMO Reimold's biggest competitors for a spot are Peguero and Young.  But the O's are most unsettled at 2nd and at closer.  The early reports on Weeks are disappointing and Flaherty is ideally suited for the utility role.  The closer role will work itself out via a competition between Norris and Hunter but 2nd has less resources.

I have not yet given up on the notion Britton is viable in trade.  Cincy still wants to dump Phillips and he intrigues me if the Reds throw some cash in the deal.  A lineup of Phillips, Machado, Jones, Davis, Cruz, Wieters, Markakis, Hardy, Reimold/Lough/Young will crush and break records! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users