13 replies to this topic

#1 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,423 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:50 AM

http://www.baltimore...,0,287019.story

Well...no one can say this has been a boring offseason, that's for sure.

#2 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,218 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:55 AM

The amount of "pot" use in the NFL, compared to the number of players who get busted for it, would probably shock most people.

Remember when McAlister got in some trouble very early in his career... the police entered his place for some reason (I forget) and found some, he said it was a friend's, and nothing ever happened again.  Consider this... there probably wasn't a week that went by in his ENTIRE Ravens career where #21 didn't use a little, a lot, something... and he never got caught for it.

It's probably the main reason why Goodell and the NFL are considering changing their drug policy when it comes to pot.  One less charade they'll have to keep up. :)

Edited by Ravens2006, 23 February 2014 - 09:55 AM.

"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#3 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,423 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:34 AM

That's all well and good. But the policy HASN'T been changed, the NFL players KNOW what the current policy is, and yet they still can't tow the line. Sorry. This isn't about whether pot SHOULD be legalized or not; it's about players not adhering to the current rules. And getting busted. And paying the consequences.

#4 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,218 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:26 AM

I'm not saying they shouldn't be punished.  I think pot sucks and I loathe the legalization push.  But I hate all mind-altering drugs, including alcohol, and wish we lived in a world where none of them existed.  :)  Just saying... if the league really tested in a way that would catch offenders, a STUNNING number of players would be getting suspended all the time.  Maybe if they were getting nailed as often as they COULD for it, the amount of use would decrease.  Maybe it wouldn't.  Some would be stupid enough to not stop.

Notice Thompson wasn't nailed by the league for it... he was arrested in "the public" for it.  Point is... the league doesn't really enforce the rules they've set when it comes to marijuana.  You could safely bet your house that he used in college, and he's used throughout his NFL career... he didn't just "make a mistake" the same day he got arrested.  They haven't been enforcing their own rules on marijuana because they don't want all the bad P.R. that would undoubtedly come with it if they did.  Hence why Goodell and company are considering officially standing down on enforcement, and using the national push for legalization as an excuse.  I think it's disgusting...

Edited by Ravens2006, 23 February 2014 - 11:31 AM.

"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#5 Hoot

Hoot

Not A Mod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,609 posts
  • LocationRavenstown

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:33 AM

I bet the FO is tearing their hair out right now.. we need to get this negative spotlight off us. :(

#6 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,423 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

I'm not saying they shouldn't be punished.  I think pot sucks and I loathe the legalization push.  But I hate all mind-altering drugs, including alcohol, and wish we lived in a world where none of them existed.  :)  Just saying... if the league really tested in a way that would catch offenders, a STUNNING number of players would be getting suspended all the time.  Maybe if they were getting nailed as often as they COULD for it, the amount of use would decrease.  Maybe it wouldn't.  Some would be stupid enough to not stop.

Notice Thompson wasn't nailed by the league for it... he was arrested in "the public" for it.  Point is... the league doesn't really enforce the rules they've set when it comes to marijuana.  You could safely bet your house that he used in college, and he's used throughout his NFL career... he didn't just "make a mistake" the same day he got arrested.  They haven't been enforcing their own rules on marijuana because they don't want all the bad P.R. that would undoubtedly come with it if they did.  Hence why Goodell and company are considering officially standing down on enforcement, and using the national push for legalization as an excuse.  I think it's disgusting...

I'm honestly not sure what you're saying. He got busted -- in public -- and there are consequences for that. And the league makes it clear enough for every player to understand. They simply don't want to abide by the rules. Whether or not the league is a bunch of hypocrites, with tons of double standards (i.e. it's not "okay" for a gay player to receive the same treatment as a straight player) is a given as far as I'm concerned. But that doesn't change the responsibility for players to conform to the rules one iota.

#7 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,423 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

I bet the FO is tearing their hair out right now.. we need to get this negative spotlight off us. :(

^This.

#8 justforfun

justforfun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:30 PM

If a player smokes in Washington or Denver is that still a no no

#9 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,638 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:41 PM

It's time for the Raven organization to put up or shut up. For years from Modell or Biscotti to Newsome and down to either Billick or Harbaugh they have said they expect their players to adhere to a high standard off the field. They have said they will not tolerate players who get in trouble and are a negative reflection on the franchise. Yet every time there is an opportunity to act on this(ie, Terrell Suggs), they side with the player and do nothing. If these incidents had happened in Cincinnati, this board would be laughing it's collective arse off about the "thug" organization. If the Ravens are going to preach about being an organization that won't tolerate this kind of behaviour from it's players, they need to act on it. If not, then stop the higher and mightier than thou talk.
You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

#10 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,423 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:12 PM

It's time for the Raven organization to put up or shut up. For years from Modell or Biscotti to Newsome and down to either Billick or Harbaugh they have said they expect their players to adhere to a high standard off the field. They have said they will not tolerate players who get in trouble and are a negative reflection on the franchise. Yet every time there is an opportunity to act on this(ie, Terrell Suggs), they side with the player and do nothing. If these incidents had happened in Cincinnati, this board would be laughing it's collective arse off about the "thug" organization. If the Ravens are going to preach about being an organization that won't tolerate this kind of behaviour from it's players, they need to act on it. If not, then stop the higher and mightier than thou talk.

Amen brother. It's one thing for Harbaugh, et. al., to do their coachspeak/don't throw players under the bus crap after poor on field performances. It's totally different -- and totally unacceptable -- for them to try to pull this kind of crap under these circumstances.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan, 24 February 2014 - 07:25 AM.

#11 Tootsie

Tootsie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:27 AM

If a player smokes in Washington or Denver is that still a no no

Yes it still violates NFL policy

#12 Dub

Dub

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:54 AM

Just legalize it.

#13 CajunRaven

CajunRaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,562 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

They'll probably come down on him because he isn't a star like Suggs.

It's easy to make an example out of a guy like this.

Is it Football Season yet?

“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”

Thomas Jefferson

#14 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,882 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:08 PM

That's all well and good. But the policy HASN'T been changed, the NFL players KNOW what the current policy is, and yet they still can't tow the line. Sorry. This isn't about whether pot SHOULD be legalized or not; it's about players not adhering to the current rules. And getting busted. And paying the consequences.

They also know when the tests are. You have to be a complete idiot to fail a drug test in pro sports...and there are plenty of them. I like the guys who test positive at the combine...you have to be a special kind of moron to blow that opportunity.

Edited by Brohan, 25 February 2014 - 11:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users