38 replies to this topic

#1 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:01 PM

ESPN article about NFL proposal to call a 15 yard penalty for use of the N-word in games.

Oh boy, what's next? Homophobic slurs? Calling somebody a moron? Calling somebody a Redskin? "Your mama wears army boots?" Does the N-word that ends in "a" count? Will there be instant replay or Coaches' challenge? "Mr. Referee, that man hurt my feelings!" What ever happened to "sticks and stones will break my bones but names and faces never hurt me?"

Has our society come to a point where we demand to have the right to never be offended?

#2 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,263 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

This should be interesting considering more black people use it than white people :D

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#3 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

This should be interesting considering more black people use it than white people :D

I can just hear guys explaining to the officials that "it's not a penalty because I was talking to another brother".  ;)

#4 Marshan Man

Marshan Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,272 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:09 PM

Seems counterproductive. Wouldn't this bring more attention to the use of it from a fan's perspective? I mean if it's used a lot in games now, we can't hear it or tell. If teams get a 15 yard penalty each time, now we'll all know. 

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]America Is Back! :rwb:

#5 Dub

Dub

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:12 PM

ESPN article about NFL proposal to call a 15 yard penalty for use of the N-word in games.

Oh boy, what's next? Homophobic slurs? Calling somebody a moron? Calling somebody a Redskin? "Your mama wears army boots?" Does the N-word that ends in "a" count? Will there be instant replay or Coaches' challenge? "Mr. Referee, that man hurt my feelings!" What ever happened to "sticks and stones will break my bones but names and faces never hurt me?"

Has our society come to a point where we demand to have the right to never be offended?

I call it the wussification of America. Cannot use the 3 letter F word anymore because it offends people who are homosexual, can't play dodgeball in gym class anymore, cannot hit WRs or QBs too hard, no more hard fouls in basketball, people flopping in basketball and football, Redskins name is now offensive to people (but wasn't 10 years ago), states having the stand your ground law allowing folks to use guns in a fist fight because they are scared to get a butt-whipping, kids not allowed to joke one another because it is now bullying, etc.

#6 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,263 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:29 PM

I can just hear guys explaining to the officials that "it's not a penalty because I was talking to another brother".  ;)

HA HA Sprite all over my keyboard  :D

#7 HAIL2BNG

HAIL2BNG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,000 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

The more importance that word is given, the more value it will hold when a racist tosses it towards a black person. There's a reason why anti-white epithets don't go anywhere. White people never let them bother them. Of course there is the ever present hypocrisy that blacks can say it to one another but that's a whole other issue.

Its no surprise that the SSA is a mess when they hire economists with pea brains.

#8 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,719 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

It's not accpetable in any other work places so this is fine by me.  Overall, the league is going down hill fast.  These new breed of billionaires like Kraft, Biscotti, Snyder and Jones and their henchman toady Roger are ruining the game before your eyes. 

#9 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,263 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

The more importance that word is given, the more value it will hold when a racist tosses it towards a black person. There's a reason why anti-white epithets don't go anywhere. White people never let them bother them. Of course there is the ever present hypocrisy that blacks can say it to one another but that's a whole other issue.

That's why I'm joking about it. The word died for me a long time ago. It no longer has a meaning or an effect on me

#10 HAIL2BNG

HAIL2BNG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,000 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

It's not accpetable in any other work places so this is fine by me.  Overall, the league is going down hill fast.  These new breed of billionaires like Kraft, Biscotti, Snyder and Jones and their henchman toady Roger are ruining the game before your eyes. 

If you really think that Roger works for Jones and Snyder, you're not paying attention. He works more for Kraft and Mara.

Its no surprise that the SSA is a mess when they hire economists with pea brains.

#11 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,719 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:13 PM

If you really think that Roger works for Jones and Snyder, you're not paying attention. He works more for Kraft and Mara.

Given America's Team and the Redslurs lousy on-field products he should be ignoring them. 

#12 CajunRaven

CajunRaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,382 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:08 PM

That was my first thought.

Is it Football Season yet?

“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”

Thomas Jefferson

#13 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,935 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:50 PM

Imagine the first time a ref says, "15 yard penalty racist comment, #55 defense." That will not help the players reputation,

#14 Navypost

Navypost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:55 PM

Hope it does not get like English football, where there is a whole investigation both for the local authorities, league, media,.church and dang gon Queen. Beware of the mic'ed up players! Will networks.be forced to turnover offenses to the commissioner?

#15 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,157 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:30 AM

"Personal foul.  Dropping a hard N.  15 yard penalty."

:rolleyes:

#16 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,263 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:43 AM

"Personal foul.  Dropping a hard N.  15 yard penalty."

:rolleyes:

"Hey coach I need you to challenge that penalty. I used gga not gger. It's a black thang, you wouldn't understand." ^_^  ^_^

Edited by bmore_ken, 25 February 2014 - 06:43 AM.

#17 tsmonk

tsmonk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:22 AM

Suppose someone calls another player a Negro? Will he get penalized for using that term?

Edited by tsmonk, 25 February 2014 - 07:22 AM.

#18 Buford

Buford

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:55 AM

What's next? Banning "Your momma comments?"

Awesomeness - An unmeasurable amount of awesomenimity something can produce

#19 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

I heard a caller on 105.7 this morning on this topic going off about racism, like how many more black people died as a result of slavery than jews in the holocaust, and so on. I can get that, but I don't see what that has to do with this issue. I seriously doubt ANY white players use the N-word; that would be suicide (not to mention horrible - I recently watched "42," and the scene where the Phillies' manager is heckling Robinson with the N-word actually made my skin crawl). It is black players who use the word, and to have Goodell and the primarily white owners' competition committee deciding it is racist strikes me as condescending and paternalistic, as well as an empty PC gesture.

On top of that, the enforcement during a game is going to be highly problematic. The more I think about it, the more ridiculous it becomes. If there is any common sense among that group, they will not follow through on the idea.

Edited by Steveg85321, 25 February 2014 - 09:54 AM.

#20 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:03 AM

I heard a caller on 105.7 this morning on this topic going off about racism, like how many more black people died as a result of slavery than jews in the holocaust, and so on. I can get that, but I don't see what that has to do with this issue. I seriously doubt ANY white players use the N-word; that would be suicide (not to mention horrible - I recently watched "42," and the scene where the Phillies' manager is heckling Robinson with the N-word actually made my skin crawl). It is black players who use the word, and to have Goodell and the primarily white owners' competition committee deciding it is racist strikes me as condescending and paternalistic, as well as an empty PC gesture.

On top of that, the enforcement during a game is going to be highly problematic. The more I think about it, the more ridiculous it becomes. If there is any common sense among that group, they will not follow through on the idea.

Maybe not on the field, but Riley Cooper showed his butt at some club last year, and his use of the word in that situation shows me it's still in his (and certainly other white players') vocabulary. 

I think your last part is right. It's a good thought that in its execution could be silly and it will probably be dropped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users