• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,785 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

I moved this conversation to its own thread because I think it deserves its own space and I didn't want to clog up the basketball thread up anymore than we already have. This is the email I sent to the MPSSAA concerning their decision to predetermine the homecourt in the regional finals:

It seems that the new sectional alignment for the basketball playoffs has led to the homecourt for the regional championships to be predetermined. This seems to be extremely unfair to the teams that have earned homecourt advantage for their regular season success as well as being unfair to their fans.

I understand the difficulties of determining seedings between teams with different schedules but this seems to be a very unfair way to handle it. Even seeding teams based on their records would be a lot more fair than arbitrarily determining the homecourt especially in the regional championship games when a trip to Comcast is on the line.

I think overall this system devalues the entire tournament and may lead to upsets that might not have happened with proper seedings being in place. Thanks for your time and I appreciate your response.

This is their response:

Many of the teams in the finals are no longer hosting region final games as our membership has been moving toward more central/neutral sites for these games, especially those regions that are more spread out and require lengthy travel. Some are doing it to provide the best facility for spectators to see the games. Therefore, the consensus was to have a fair rotation for the host sites.

Sincerely,

MPSSAA Staff

Can someone tell me what this response has to do with my email? This is exactly what's wrong with sports in this state. Incompetence. They replied with some gibberish that didn't even halfway address my concerns and honestly it's a flat out lie. How many finals have been moved to neutral cites over the years and what does that have to do with the higher seeds not having homecourt advantage? How does this create a fair rotation? If a higher seed wanted to move their game to a neutral site then ok. That has nothing to do with them being forced to play games at the court of lower seeds. I'm sure if Atholton has to play City they aren't going to be looking for a neutral cite unless they're forced to. 

Their response makes absolutely no sense. I wonder if they even read my email at all. I just wanted to put this out there so we could see the type of decision making that's going on at that office. It's a complete embarrassment.

Edited by 85Knight, 26 February 2014 - 05:47 PM.

#2 Gryphon7598

Gryphon7598

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

The  MPSSAA  is trying to give the  kids the march madness tournment  feel.  I totally agree that this is BS, but They are trying to format the  tournment to fit other big states. If this is going to  be the  case then It doesn't really matter if you are a top seed because there is no benefit to trying to have the best record. You also have to take into consideration that the referee will affect the games especially when the higher seed in on the road . county ref call games differently when schools in there district play  other districts. a example will be  CITY  vs Milford last year . 

#3 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,785 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

The  MPSSAA  is trying to give the  kids the march madness tournment  feel.  I totally agree that this is BS, but They are trying to format the  tournment to fit other big states. If this is going to  be the  case then It doesn't really matter if you are a top seed because there is no benefit to trying to have the best record. You also have to take into consideration that the referee will affect the games especially when the higher seed in on the road . county ref call games differently when schools in there district play  other districts. a example will be  CITY  vs Milford last year . 

And you know upsets are just the half of it. I think City beats Atholton by 20 no matter where we play but why should the fans be left out. If it happens how many people are going to be able to make that drive to Atholton after work or school on a Fri. night and even worse what if a lot of them attempt to do so and can't get in? The higher seed has earned the right not to face problems like that but the MPSSAA doesn't think that's important or either they're too lazy or incompetent to do anything about it. 

#4 First_Down

First_Down

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:07 PM

The MPSSAA isn't some distant entity but rather comprises learned educational officials from all around the state.  In essence, they are all of us who are doing what they what they think is best.  I'm talking about the principals, ADs, coaches, and other members of all the school districts around the state.  Just blame ourselves for what we don't like.

#5 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:26 AM

what year did they go to this format?

#6 agentorange

agentorange

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,508 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:48 AM

85Knight has some good points here and I commend him for his passion, however, I totally agree with you Joe Jedi....right after 85 made compliants about the seedings in the roundball thread, I started doing some homework to see if at the least, the mpssaa had any viable objectives in creating the seedings the way they did. It appeared to me they were trying to create a ncaa tourney type of feel but I still wasn't sure if it was wishful thinking until you made your coment....I'm sure there are things the mpssaa can tweak but I kinda like the format of making higher seeds travel...it makes the tourney less predictable, more interesting and allows greater diversity as it regards teams facing each other from different parts of the state.

#7 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,785 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

85Knight has some good points here and I commend him for his passion, however, I totally agree with you Joe Jedi....right after 85 made compliants about the seedings in the roundball thread, I started doing some homework to see if at the least, the mpssaa had any viable objectives in creating the seedings the way they did. It appeared to me they were trying to create a ncaa tourney type of feel but I still wasn't sure if it was wishful thinking until you made your coment....I'm sure there are things the mpssaa can tweak but I kinda like the format of making higher seeds travel...it makes the tourney less predictable, more interesting and allows greater diversity as it regards teams facing each other from different parts of the state.

They're not making it like the NCAA tourney. In fact they're doing just the opposite. The NCAA makes every effort to keep its top seeds as close to home as they can. They have a North, South, East and West region and they try to put teams from those areas as the top seeds in each region. The lower seeds are the teams that have to travel the furthest. I can't think of a sport or a league on this planet that makes the team with the better record play on the home court or field of the team with the worse record in the playoffs.

Why even have a regular season if you're going to devalue it? We always hear the phrase "playing for home court" being used. What the MPSSAA is doing is unheard of. It would be different if they were playing at neutral cites but they are forcing the top teams to play on other teams' home courts.

#8 sparky1

sparky1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:32 AM

It sounds like the MPSSAA should simply pick the school with the biggest gym and the most centrally located in each region and play it there every year. 

#9 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,785 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

It sounds like the MPSSAA should simply pick the school with the biggest gym and the most centrally located in each region and play it there every year. 

That would be a lot more fair than what they are doing now. In fact if they are pushing for games at neutral cites I think what they are doing is going to have the opposite effect. Why would a team like Edmondson want to give up it's home court advantage against a team (Lake Clifton) that already beat them at home earlier in the season? The same if Atholton has to play City or Dundalk playing Milford Mill and all the other teams that are going to benefit from having the better teams come to their place. It makes more sense that the teams with the better records would be more inclined to play at a neutral cite because they more than likely have a larger fan base. I'm sure City would be more than happy to play the region championship at Towson or Morgan if they make it that far.

We'll see how all this shakes out next week and if it seems fair or not. Hopefully the fans of teams with the better records aren't left out in the cold.

Edited by 85Knight, 27 February 2014 - 12:40 PM.

#10 jtowne-swim

jtowne-swim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:42 PM

When some harford schools tested the district format with the shore we played finals in neutral gyms in the higher seeds area. It worked out fine!
In 20 years....... when global warming causes the polar ice caps to melt....... and the whole planet floods. Swimmers will rule the World:cool: !

ACTION....ADVENTURE.....EXCITEMENT....A Jedi seeks not these things.:D
-Master Yoda

#11 TheGuru

TheGuru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:52 AM

City is arguably the #1 public school in the state and one of the three best teams in the Baltimore Metro region. The best collection of senior talent in the MPSSAA should be able to get past Poly, Reservoir or Atholton to make it to Comcast Center. Maybe your anger is a product of your acknowledgment that Coach Wade may have to coach the team to some wins in these playoffs. City has only been challenged a time or three this season: once to a poor (as you've stated) Riverdale Baptist team and twice to a height-challenged Lake Clifton squad with a great coach. Wade will have to show that he's not the product of great senior talent. I don't think he's up to the challenge even though I know his players are.

Edited by TheGuru, 28 February 2014 - 07:57 AM.

#12 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,785 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:20 AM

City is arguably the #1 public school in the state and one of the three best teams in the Baltimore Metro region. The best collection of senior talent in the MPSSAA should be able to get past Poly, Reservoir or Atholton to make it to Comcast Center. Maybe your anger is a product of your acknowledgment that Coach Wade may have to coach the team to some wins in these playoffs. City has only been challenged a time or three this season: once to a poor (as you've stated) Riverdale Baptist team and twice to a height-challenged Lake Clifton squad with a great coach. Wade will have to show that he's not the product of great senior talent. I don't think he's up to the challenge even though I know his players are.

You've completely missed what this conversation is about. It's not about City or Wade. Wow.

#13 TheGuru

TheGuru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

You've completely missed what this conversation is about. It's not about City or Wade. Wow.

If City sucked this year and didn't have a chance to finish as undefeated 3A champs you probably wouldn't have started a "The MPSSAA Sucks!" thread. I haven't really researched this but it is what it is. Playing and winning on hostile courts is what true champions do. City should not lose a game on its march to the finals. This is just a built in excuse for if the Black Knights don't bring home the hardware. That's where my assessment of Wade's coaching ability and the team's skills come into play.

#14 Clipper Nation

Clipper Nation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

The regular season should mean something. There is no way to justify being undefeated and having to play the regional championship game on the road.

It would be like the NFL saying that next year they will play the conference championship games at the home of the #3 seed no matter of what the records say!

Its really unbelievable! I think the state is tired of Milford and the city teams winning multiple championships each year so they are going to make it more difficult.

#15 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,785 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:43 AM

If City sucked this year and didn't have a chance to finish as undefeated 3A champs you probably wouldn't have started a "The MPSSAA Sucks!" thread. I haven't really researched this but it is what it is. Playing and winning on hostile courts is what true champions do. City should not lose a game on its march to the finals. This is just a built in excuse for if the Black Knights don't bring home the hardware. That's where my assessment of Wade's coaching ability and the team's skills come into play.

You're too fixated on City and missing a good conversation. There are a lot more teams affected than City who will win regardless of where they play. How can they justify Lake playing at Edmondson, Milford Mill playing at Dundalk or Urbana playing at Rockville, etc? Get your brain off of City and join the conversation. You're missing a good one.

Edited by 85Knight, 28 February 2014 - 11:55 AM.

#16 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,785 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:57 AM

The regular season should mean something. There is no way to justify being undefeated and having to play the regional championship game on the road.

It would be like the NFL saying that next year they will play the conference championship games at the home of the #3 seed no matter of what the records say!

Its really unbelievable! I think the state is tired of Milford and the city teams winning multiple championships each year so they are going to make it more difficult.

It does make you think that there's a conspiracy involved but judging by their response to my email I think it's just flat out incompetence. They seem to think rotating homecourt is ok in the playoffs and don't understand that they're devaluing the regular season. It almost seems like the people making the decisions aren't really sports fans because no knowledgeable sports fan would think to do something like this. 

#17 jtowne-swim

jtowne-swim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:05 AM

Where was the outcry for Volleyball, Boys Soccer, Girls Soccer?
In 20 years....... when global warming causes the polar ice caps to melt....... and the whole planet floods. Swimmers will rule the World:cool: !

ACTION....ADVENTURE.....EXCITEMENT....A Jedi seeks not these things.:D
-Master Yoda

#18 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,785 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

Where was the outcry for Volleyball, Boys Soccer, Girls Soccer?

I don't follow those sports but if they did the same thing to those it just proves how incompetent they are. That's why I put the link up so that we can voice our opinions about it. If they are doing this to other sports that's even more of a reason why we should speak up. I can't believe that they are this bad. Their response was laughable.

#19 TheGuru

TheGuru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:49 PM

You're too fixated on City and missing a good conversation. There are a lot more teams affected than City who will win regardless of where they play. How can they justify Lake playing at Edmondson, Milford Mill playing at Dundalk or Urbana playing at Rockville, etc? Get your brain off of City and join the conversation. You're missing a good one.

This thread blows. You wouldn't give a rat's behind if City College wasn't affected. You exaggerate your concern for those other schools. Just keep it real. City got screwed and might not win the championship because of the dreaded home court advantage that a less talented team will have in the playoffs.

#20 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,785 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:00 PM

This thread blows. You wouldn't give a rat's behind if City College wasn't affected. You exaggerate your concern for those other schools. Just keep it real. City got screwed and might not win the championship because of the dreaded home court advantage that a less talented team will have in the playoffs.

You're lost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users