• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Flu

Flu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:27 PM

I personally hope and would prefer between the two that the Orioles would give Wieters a long term contract. I think it's easier to replace a power hitting first baseman than a top notch catcher like Wieters. His bat might not have come along just yet but his defense is top notch. He also can handle a pitching staff and guide them through a game. I think it will be harder to replace Wieters than it would Davis. I'd rather keep both but that is doubtful.

:cool:

Flu

What is a veteran? This is the best definition I've found:

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount 'up to and including my life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer can conceptualize it."

#2 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,512 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:45 PM

Give me Davis every time. Wieters has had 2 chances to extend and has spit on them both. He's overrated, good defensive catchers are being marginalized even more with the "no collisions" rule, and despite all the talk I've heard about how good Wieters is with the pitching staff, they've been absolutely abysmal in his time with the club. I'll take the guy who can hit 40 bombs year in and year out.
The kids are alright.

#3 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,134 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:34 AM

I'm hoping it was an off-year, but Wieters looked lost at the plate last season.  A .235 average isn't going to cut it for the money he's likely looking for.  If he even wants to stay.

#4 Oriole-Bob

Oriole-Bob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:47 AM

Sorry but extending Wieiters is the stupidest idea.   The guy is going to command a huge salary , more than he is worth and he has a big frame, how much longer will he be a catcher, 2-4 years at most.  Then you are paying a guy a huge amount of money to be one of the worst DH's in the league.  

The only upside to having Wieters is that he is a great defensive catcher, once he isn't playing that position any longer his value is squat.

You wanna pay Wieters $15-20 million a year at end of contract to give you 2/3 the prodcution of what Nelson Cruz is willing to do at $8 million?

Edited by Oriole-Bob, 27 February 2014 - 06:49 AM.

#5 Morgan208

Morgan208

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:01 AM

I personally hope and would prefer between the two that the Orioles would give Wieters a long term contract. I think it's easier to replace a power hitting first baseman than a top notch catcher like Wieters. His bat might not have come along just yet but his defense is top notch. He also can handle a pitching staff and guide them through a game. I think it will be harder to replace Wieters than it would Davis. I'd rather keep both but that is doubtful.

:cool:

I started reading this post thinking you were joking, but i now realize you are just stoned. Easy to replace a power hitting first basemen??????? Weiters is a rally killer and maybe one of the most overated players in baseball. I don't think the O's will be able to keep davis, but if it comes down to shelling out big bucks for one or the other, it's a no brainer.

#6 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:32 AM

#7 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,365 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:45 AM

I'm with Gizmo on this one. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#8 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,201 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:50 AM

and despite all the talk I've heard about how good Wieters is with the pitching staff, they've been absolutely abysmal in his time with the club.

You're blaming the catcher because Arrieta and Garcia couldn't get out a pony leaguer, Gausman was called up before he was ready, and Britton was overrated? Yeah ok. with that said if someone is going to offer him $10-$15 million per, I say Nice knowing you Matt.

Edited by bmore_ken, 27 February 2014 - 08:52 AM.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#9 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,910 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:15 AM

Until Matt's bat finds some hits, Davis has to be the choice. 

#10 TheIcon

TheIcon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,831 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:24 AM

My only argument would be if a power 1st baseman is so plentiful why did it take us so long?

I'm a Legend in Japan

#11 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:39 AM

I've been lambasted before for my comments on Matt but that's cool. Here I go again.

I watched Wieters last year with particular focus on pitch framing and compared his work in that regard to Molina in Tampa (allegedly the best pitch framer in baseball).  Jose sets a target well in advance of the pitch and establishes an expectation in the mind of the umpire, whereas MW waits until the pitcher is well into his windup before setting his target.  Some have said Molina's manner gives away pitch location to the batter whereas Matt's more coy style of keeping his glove pointed down toward the ground until the last moment is a more deceptive style relative to the batter.  That may be true but to me it looks like Matt is lackadaisical, and by the middle innings, he seems almost too tired to make the effort.  

The one thing I can assert is that statistically, pitchers improve with Molina behind the plate, whereas Matt has more dubious results.  That may be due to the talent on the mound but big guys who hit less than .250 and in optimal conditions still only play 75-80% of the games are not normally centerpieces.  What Oriole championship team was built around a catcher?

#12 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,201 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:56 PM

Either you can pitch or you can't. I'm saying a catcher can't make some difference, but to say a pitching staff pitches better because one catcher can frame pitches better than another is ludicrous. Wieters has his shortcomings, but to blame him for the lackluster performance of teh bargain basement  line up of reject pitchers the O's stockpiled over the years is ridiculous

Edited by bmore_ken, 27 February 2014 - 04:57 PM.

#13 Navypost

Navypost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

You have to figure you would have to move Weiters to 1st or DH eventually, so why not have a better long term option at 1st? On the other hand if you have doubts on Davis ability to hit for average and keep a high Slugg pct and OBP for the long term. I think at worst Davis can be a 25hr, 75 runs batted in, and a sub 260 avg hitter at tail end of his prime or career. Start drafting catchers now if you are skeptical about Weiters.

#14 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,512 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:38 PM

You're blaming the catcher because Arrieta and Garcia couldn't get out a pony leaguer, Gausman was called up before he was ready, and Britton was overrated? Yeah ok. with that said if someone is going to offer him $10-$15 million per, I say Nice knowing you Matt.

I'm not blaming him for anything. I'm just not giving him credit he doesn't deserve either.
The kids are alright.

#15 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,910 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:23 PM

I've been lambasted before for my comments on Matt but that's cool. Here I go again.

I watched Wieters last year with particular focus on pitch framing and compared his work in that regard to Molina in Tampa (allegedly the best pitch framer in baseball).  Jose sets a target well in advance of the pitch and establishes an expectation in the mind of the umpire, whereas MW waits until the pitcher is well into his windup before setting his target.  Some have said Molina's manner gives away pitch location to the batter whereas Matt's more coy style of keeping his glove pointed down toward the ground until the last moment is a more deceptive style relative to the batter.  That may be true but to me it looks like Matt is lackadaisical, and by the middle innings, he seems almost too tired to make the effort.  

The one thing I can assert is that statistically, pitchers improve with Molina behind the plate, whereas Matt has more dubious results.  That may be due to the talent on the mound but big guys who hit less than .250 and in optimal conditions still only play 75-80% of the games are not normally centerpieces.  What Oriole championship team was built around a catcher?

At times the pitcher is the dominate party in the pitcher/catcher relationship. Greg Maddux could not work with Javy Lopez but Maddux and Eddie Perez worked great. With Glavine the only thing Lopez had to do was set up an inch off the plate and catch the ball. 

#16 RIKMAN

RIKMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,682 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:00 PM

If given a choice, Davis every time.
I like Weiters but the money should be spent on Davis.
Baltimore Sports fan since 1965!:cool:

Confusing the delusional with fact since 2005!

#17 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,743 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:07 AM

If given a choice, Davis every time.
I like Weiters but the money should be spent on Davis.

This, plus Wieters is a hard-headed catcher that doesn't want to stop switch-hitting because he thinks it is going to draw him more in Free agency.

His greed is turning him from friend to foe.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#18 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,201 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:58 AM

I'm not blaming him for anything. I'm just not giving him credit he doesn't deserve either.

That's not what it sounded like

#19 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,512 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

That's not what it sounded like

Bad pitchers are bad because they are bad. I just think that people act like Wieters Can make bad pitchers into good ones, and he can't. His work with pitchers should not be factored into assessing his worth, because he doesn't make a meaningful difference.
The kids are alright.

#20 babylinux

babylinux

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:08 PM

Bad pitchers are bad because they are bad. I just think that people act like Wieters Can make bad pitchers into good ones, and he can't. His work with pitchers should not be factored into assessing his worth, because he doesn't make a meaningful difference.

I agree.  Ship Weiters down back to Atlanta where he prefers to be.  He can have fun with the no-see-ums, fire ants and zombies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users