• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#1 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:51 AM

Was reading another thread and saw the views on Edsall.  No matter what you think of him terps football is going to be in the B1G cellar for many many years.  Franklin at PSU is really gonna hurt UMD, but what's worse is that LJ went to OSU.  OSU is now in major play for the area. 

Let’s face it the best player didn’t go to UMD because of the staff either.  I’ve put some numbers together and not only isn’t there a so called pipeline to the big 3, there isn’t even a pipeline to the in state kids. 

Now I know some are going to consider other kids as ranked or not ranked and so on.  I also counted kids if the school the signed with was their only BCS offer whether is UMD or not.  Now thinking about it I should've have added that stat to. 

I've talked with many kids and parents over the years about UMD.  And this is just my opinion but I think Edsall is the main issue with kids not going wanting to go to UMD.   

These are Edsall’s recruiting stats from his arrival in 11 to 14

There have been 6 5* and 24 4* players produced in MD high school football from 11-14.  Only 4 have gone or are going to UMD.

MD high schools have had 115 kids sign with BCS schools, 24 of those went to UMD.  20%

Of the 115 65 went to either conference or bcs contenders, 8 of those went to UMD. 12%

Dematha, GC, and Gilman had 45 players sign with BCS schools, 7 of those went to UMD.

15%

2015 MD has 8 4* star kids and 2 have already committed to USC and PSU.  Outside of Locksley I don’t see any of the rest going to UMD.

Edited by RM7, 27 February 2014 - 09:51 AM.

#2 sparky1

sparky1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:58 AM

It sounds like a problem in need of awider context. one is what is the goal for instate kids? Ie what percentage shoiuld go to MD? what % would be considered good?

How many went under Fridge? Vanderlinden? Ross? is it different now than it ever was?

What is it that Edsell is doing that does not attract MD kids?

Is coaching continuity important. . .. does it exist more in the Big 10? You mention Franklin, PSU is his third school in five years. 

#3 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

It's tough to penalize Edsall for the 2011 recruiting class, so I'd throw that out of the analysis.  He's also done a good job creating a relationship with Gilman for the first time ever and maintained the GC relationship well.  I think Edsall's schtick plays better with parents than the kids, but Locksley is a master salesman and pulled 2 of the 5 5-star players since he's been back from 2012-2014.  Also, you forgot to mention MD has a commitment from EJ Donahue, one of the eight 4-star players in 2015, and are in the game for the rest.  Without having any knowledge of the situation, it also wouldn't shock me if Sills decommits from USC after they recruited over him and offered Ricky Town.  Sarkasian wants his own QB to mold, not some kid that the coach 2 before him offered 5 years ago, and Sills strikes me as the kind of kid that will want to experience the excitement/limelight of the recruiting process.

Edited by gillytech, 27 February 2014 - 10:13 AM.

#4 Bawlmerian

Bawlmerian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:44 AM

He is running a solid top 50 program.  

A warm sunspot Spring welcome to all of our new O'Malley sycophant posters. I guess the re-election campaign has begun. :)

#5 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

How many times are you going to make the same weak joke?

#6 aacountyfootball

aacountyfootball

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

It is plain and simple. They offer kids too late and/or start trying to build the relationship too late. UVA, PSU, GT, VT, Rutgers, etc offer Maryland kids before Maryland does. Kids and parents view the lateness as the Terps trying to jump on the bandwagon once a kid is a sure bet. Kids and parents favor schools that build the relationship early. I am not saying that they should offer 8th graders but there is no way that kids like Petibon, Ellison Jordan, Branch and many others get offers from other schools before maryland.

#7 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

Info. on UMD's recruiting efforts in the state of MD,as reported by Testudotimes.com today:

Some new offers extended by the Terrapins:

Some other Junior Day visitors (or those who visited for the Syracuse game) that we didn't have on last week's list:

#8 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:30 AM

Ok from 02-10 under Fridge in state kids.  Have to do some digging on Vanderlinden but I think he did a very good job at UMD.  Also remember Fridge's best teams were with all Vanderlinden recruits. 

224 bcs signees 73 went to UMD 32%

55 4*   21 went to UMD 38%

7 5*   2 went to UMD 28%

#9 sparky1

sparky1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

RMt that is good info. I remember Fridge did very well with the guys he inherited. . .. Vanderlinden did not succeed at MD, and MD did not succeed with the recruits Fridge brought in. 

an issue tied to this and maybe informing it is the  generally poor attendance at MD football games. The school community does not sell out Byrd, and the recruits who may consider going there may not feel much of a buzz.

On the other hand MD still seems to send its share of players to the NFL. 

I am not sure if there is a good answer to the problem. It usually seems to come down to what is said in a living room bewtween an 18yo, his parents, and a coach. 

#10 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:55 AM

It's tough to penalize Edsall for the 2011 recruiting class, so I'd throw that out of the analysis.  He's also done a good job creating a relationship with Gilman for the first time ever and maintained the GC relationship well.  I think Edsall's schtick plays better with parents than the kids, but Locksley is a master salesman and pulled 2 of the 5 5-star players since he's been back from 2012-2014.  Also, you forgot to mention MD has a commitment from EJ Donahue, one of the eight 4-star players in 2015, and are in the game for the rest.  Without having any knowledge of the situation, it also wouldn't shock me if Sills decommits from USC after they recruited over him and offered Ricky Town.  Sarkasian wants his own QB to mold, not some kid that the coach 2 before him offered 5 years ago, and Sills strikes me as the kind of kid that will want to experience the excitement/limelight of the recruiting process.

Info. on UMD's recruiting efforts in the state of MD,as reported by Testudotimes.com today:

Some new offers extended by the Terrapins:

Some other Junior Day visitors (or those who visited for the Syracuse game) that we didn't have on last week's list:

Donahue is a 3* on the site I was using, either way that's a very good get for UMD.  As far as the two 5* star kids go the only thing I will say if you know both situations UMD had them fall into their lap.  Until I see the cream of GC and Gilman going to UMD or at least some, you can call it what you want.  I bet SFA plucking Smith is eating at the CHC faithful.  UMD has a better chance to land him now, but if he blows I'm thinking he'll go mainstream. 

#11 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

RMt that is good info. I remember Fridge did very well with the guys he inherited. . .. Vanderlinden did not succeed at MD, and MD did not succeed with the recruits Fridge brought in. 

an issue tied to this and maybe informing it is the  generally poor attendance at MD football games. The school community does not sell out Byrd, and the recruits who may consider going there may not feel much of a buzz.

On the other hand MD still seems to send its share of players to the NFL. 

I am not sure if there is a good answer to the problem. It usually seems to come down to what is said in a living room bewtween an 18yo, his parents, and a coach. 

Don't get me wrong I'm a PSU fan, but I also like to see UMD do well.  Made my folks not only take me to see Hoya Paranoia, but also to see Albert, Buck, Ernie, and Len in my younger years.  Not so much football back then with my brother playing at PSU, but I followed.  Now with my wife and almost all her family UMD grads can't help but to cheer for them.  Like I said it has more to do with the captain of the ship than the ship itself.

#12 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

Until I see the cream of GC and Gilman going to UMD or at least some, you can call it what you want. 

I bet SFA plucking Smith is eating at the CHC faithful.  UMD has a better chance to land him now, but if he blows I'm thinking he'll go mainstream. 

I agree with what you're saying re: Gilman, but Goins is a starter and Cockerille was a good get.  I disagree re: GC though - you wouldn't agree that Diggs and Madaras were the cream of GC?

I totally missed the Smith transfer to SFA until you pointed it out - that has to hurt.  Doesn't look like he's reclassifying or anything though, right?

#13 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:15 PM

I agree with what you're saying re: Gilman, but Goins is a starter and Cockerille was a good get.  I disagree re: GC though - you wouldn't agree that Diggs and Madaras were the cream of GC?

I totally missed the Smith transfer to SFA until you pointed it out - that has to hurt.  Doesn't look like he's reclassifying or anything though, right?

Who knows about Smith I can’t understand why move and sit out for a year, but I'm sure there is a whole lot of baggage with that mess (NLN).  I think someone said he already reclassified in 8th grade.  If not their are already people on notice if he or any who left tries to do it and gain that year back.   

Diggs yes but like I said he was gift wrapped to GC, they didn't have to do too much to get him.  Madaras was a good get if he would have stayed.  That also was somewhat odd with the father being the point person more so than the kid.   

Goins falls into that 15% and Shane went because he wanted to play QB over ATH at Big Blue.  Still stand by what I say. When UMD has to go out and get the in state game changers and contributors they get out recruited by a mile. 

#14 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,680 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:04 PM

Who knows about Smith I can’t understand why move and sit out for a year, but I'm sure there is a whole lot of baggage with that mess (NLN).  I think someone said he already reclassified in 8th grade.  If not their are already people on notice if he or any who left tries to do it and gain that year back.   [/size]
[/size] 
Diggs yes but like I said he was gift wrapped to GC, they didn't have to do too much to get him.  Madaras was a good get if he would have stayed.  That also was somewhat odd with the father being the point person more so than the kid.   [/size]
[/size] 
Goins falls into that 15% and Shane went because he wanted to play QB over ATH at Big Blue.  Still stand by what I say. When UMD has to go out and get the in state game changers and contributors they get out recruited by a mile. [/size]

I think Locksley was much bigger in getting Deon Long than getting Diggs.

On the Smith transfer, he definitely can't re-classify again. He will be too old to play. So he's basically red-shirting for a year. The CHC faithful don't want to admit this but he's not the only one leaving. They're are 5 kids I hear that are leaving including the stud JV player.

#15 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

I agree on the last point, but I disagree that every top recruit they've signed from MD fell into their laps. For a kid to stay in state and not go away to college - especially when the other schools in contention are traditional powers with more $, better facilities, stadiums, fan bases etc. - you need exceptional circumstances. MD was competing with schools like FSU, Alabama, Florida, VT, Ohio State, PSU, USC for the 4- and 5-star players you're talking about. What advantages does MD have over those schools? Maybe MD's academics are stronger compared to a few of those schools, but the only other consistant factor is the location so they can play in front of their friends and family. It's easy to get out-recruited by those other schools because their job is so kuch easier, IMO.

#16 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,680 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

It is plain and simple. They offer kids too late and/or start trying to build the relationship too late. UVA, PSU, GT, VT, Rutgers, etc offer Maryland kids before Maryland does. Kids and parents view the lateness as the Terps trying to jump on the bandwagon once a kid is a sure bet. Kids and parents favor schools that build the relationship early. I am not saying that they should offer 8th graders but there is no way that kids like Petibon, Ellison Jordan, Branch and many others get offers from other schools before maryland.

You're 100% right on with this. How can players like Ellison Jordan, Branch, the twins at Franklin, etc. get offers from everyone else before Maryland? It's a slap in the face to kids and their families.

#17 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

I think Locksley was much bigger in getting Deon Long than getting Diggs.

On the Smith transfer, he definitely can't re-classify again. He will be too old to play. So he's basically red-shirting for a year. The CHC faithful don't want to admit this but he's not the only one leaving. They're are 5 kids I hear that are leaving including the stud JV player.

Their were two very good players on JV don't know their names, a RB and FS.  The FS was the best kid on the team, if he leaves that hurts.

Edited by RM7, 27 February 2014 - 04:14 PM.

#18 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

I agree on the last point, but I disagree that every top recruit they've signed from MD fell into their laps. For a kid to stay in state and not go away to college - especially when the other schools in contention are traditional powers with more $, better facilities, stadiums, fan bases etc. - you need exceptional circumstances. MD was competing with schools like FSU, Alabama, Florida, VT, Ohio State, PSU, USC for the 4- and 5-star players you're talking about. What advantages does MD have over those schools? Maybe MD's academics are stronger compared to a few of those schools, but the only other consistant factor is the location so they can play in front of their friends and family. It's easy to get out-recruited by those other schools because their job is so kuch easier, IMO.

Didn't say every top recruit fell into their lap, but two did.  Diggs and Brown were never going any where but UMD. 

#19 lord_baltimore

lord_baltimore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

Stefon Diggs 5*

Deon Long 5*

Damian Prince 5*

Thats three Rvals five stars if you include the D.C. kids,

Thats more Rivals five stars than Friedgen landed from DC/MD in 10 years as head coach.

#20 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,680 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

Their were two very good players on JV don't know their names, a RB and FS.  The FS was the best kid on the team, if he leaves that hurts.

I know they had the Fogg kid on JV last year and he same in as a safety. I thought he was switched to LB but I'm not sure about that. He's a stud and he's staying from what I'm told.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users