• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,977 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

The Ravens have reached an agreement on a five-year deal with tight end Dennis Pitta, the team confirmed.

The contract is worth $32 million, according to league sources.

Pitta and the Ravens got the deal done before Monday's deadline to use the franchise tag. That  could have potentially been a complicated situation for the Ravens if they had to designate Pitta as a franchise player, because of the financial difference between the $6.709 million tight end tag and an $11.5 million wide receiver tag.

Read more: http://www.baltimore...y#ixzz2ueAIdsby

Let's get to work on Monroe now

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#2 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,283 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:34 PM

I don't think I fully appreciated Pitta until he was out last year. I'm glad this worked out. Monroe seems like a must.   

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#3 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

I don't think I fully appreciated Pitta until he was out last year. I'm glad this worked out. Monroe seems like a must.   

Pitta is most important due to his well documented relationship with Joe.  Dickson is supremely disposable for the lack thereof. 

My biggest concern for Dennis is the position he plays.  He would be a nice slot or possession receiver but at TE, he strikes me as a stretch.  I don't doubt his heart but he's not the blocking bruiser needed to contain the edge. That said, we all appreciate the signing and I cross my fingers that the highest injury risk position in the NFL does not compromise his potential.

#4 jonsensback

jonsensback

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,937 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:09 PM

Thanks Ken!

Sounds like a good deal and love the fact that horse is back in the barn.

#5 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

Smacking trolls & homers alike since 2009

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,648 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:53 PM

Anybody know how much of the $32M is guaranteed?

#6 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,614 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:55 PM

Pitta and Flacco both come off the books the same year. I wonder if that was intentional...

Good move. Glad he's back.

Edited by Slidemaster, 28 February 2014 - 03:55 PM.

The kids are alright.

#7 Dub

Dub

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:11 PM

Great Move. I agree Monroe should now be the priority. If we can sign Monroe, then Ozzie will be in perfect position to take best player available in the first round of the draft. Though I hope that best player available is another OT so we can keep Osemele (sp) at guard.

#8 CajunRaven

CajunRaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,931 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

Excellent - Now sign Monroe and then find a bunch of Oline men.

Is it Football Season yet?

“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”

Thomas Jefferson

#9 HAIL2BNG

HAIL2BNG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:06 PM

Anybody know how much of the $32M is guaranteed?

That's my question since on the surface the deal is too much money. If it is only say $11-12 guaranteed, it makes sense.

Its no surprise that the SSA is a mess when they hire economists with pea brains.

#10 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,648 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:39 PM

That's my question since on the surface the deal is too much money. If it is only say $11-12 guaranteed, it makes sense.

I'm pretty sure it'll be more than $11-12M guaranteed. But he's certainly not worth any $6+M/year, that's for sure.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan, 28 February 2014 - 05:42 PM.

#11 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,430 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

I like the signing.  I do find it interesting that there could have been the WR or TE controversy if he was given the franchise tag.  He definitely isn't Jimmy Graham.

#12 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,648 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:39 PM

I like the signing.  I do find it interesting that there could have been the WR or TE controversy if he was given the franchise tag.  He definitely isn't Jimmy Graham.

And even Jimmy Graham -- is NOT a WR. Just lining up in the slot does NOT make a player a WR. The league is going to have to come to some sort of resolution over this.

#13 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,648 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:05 PM

It now looks like it's $16,000,000.00 guaranteed. Not bad.

#14 justforfun

justforfun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

Blah blah blah. Do you people read what you write? Last year was a nothing year for him as he was hurt for much of it. The year before he actually did nothing until the last couple weeks than he was hurt on and off much of the time. The year before that he was a nothing. So your GM gives him a great package but really, will he be around the full year? I would think the Ravens would spend as much as they could on OL and get some established great OL at that. The offense only needs this to be a great offense. The defense is where the Ravens need to get better at. They need the middle badly. Nghata is overpaid for a one or two down guy and only plays about 18 to 24 downs a game. Sign or better yet trade for some top draft choices. Go after the best MLB. Best Safety and best DE they can get. The corners on the Ravens could be the best in the league but another good cover corner could be a blessing. Time to rebuild the defense. As we saw in the SB, a great defense will beat a great offense.

#15 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,648 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:07 PM

Blah blah blah. Do you people read what you write? Last year was a nothing year for him as he was hurt for much of it. The year before he actually did nothing until the last couple weeks than he was hurt on and off much of the time. The year before that he was a nothing. So your GM gives him a great package but really, will he be around the full year? I would think the Ravens would spend as much as they could on OL and get some established great OL at that. The offense only needs this to be a great offense. The defense is where the Ravens need to get better at. They need the middle badly. Nghata is overpaid for a one or two down guy and only plays about 18 to 24 downs a game. Sign or better yet trade for some top draft choices. Go after the best MLB. Best Safety and best DE they can get. The corners on the Ravens could be the best in the league but another good cover corner could be a blessing. Time to rebuild the defense. As we saw in the SB, a great defense will beat a great offense.

Oooookay.

Now, moving on...

#16 HAIL2BNG

HAIL2BNG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:06 AM

It now looks like it's $16,000,000.00 guaranteed. Not bad.

Not horrible but it's still a lot for a guy whose best year was 61 catches.
Its no surprise that the SSA is a mess when they hire economists with pea brains.

#17 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,648 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

Not horrible but it's still a lot for a guy whose best year was 61 catches.

Better than $32M.

#18 Flu

Flu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,546 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:55 AM

I'm glad they got him locked up. He has the best hands on the team even better than Torrey!

:cool:

Flu

What is a veteran? This is the best definition I've found:

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount 'up to and including my life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer can conceptualize it."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users