Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

weird-O

Spring Training

123 posts in this topic

I read over on Roch's MASN site last night that a couple of O's fans watching the game last night commented that Reimold looks like a shell of himself. Stiff and slow. I just don't see how he beats out Pegueros or Pearce unless dollars come into play.

Great thread guys. I don't really keep up with ST, so I can check in here to see what's going on :)  :)

I'm impressed so far with the arms DD has brought in to re-build the pen. Huntzinger, Meeks, Webb, Brach and Dela Cruz have all looked good so far. The pen was a little shaky last year when Strop showed up as a head case and JJ didn't have his best stuff for most of the year. More good moves by DD.

The pen was a little shaky last year, and I'm happy DD chose to work on it.  I will cut last year's BP pitchers some slack, however, because they were pretty clearly overworked maybe as early as the All-Star break. Thankfully, the SP rotation should also be better this season, which would give this BP a chance to be real strong.

The pen was a little shaky last year, and I'm happy DD chose to work on it.  I will cut last year's BP pitchers some slack, however, because they were pretty clearly overworked maybe as early as the All-Star break. Thankfully, the SP rotation should also be better this season, which would give this BP a chance to be real strong.

Agree.  Last year, Hammel and Chen were hurt by mid June and Arrietta demoted.  We had Stinson, Britton, Garcia and Gausman all make starts trying to fil the void.  Pew!   Many of those starts the bullpen was tapped by the 4th or 5th inning.  With JJ blowing saves and rotation in tatters for half the year, how the heck did we win 85 games?

Speaking of Jason Hammel, did he get 6 mil from cubs?  If so, Cubs dumber than dirt. 

Speaking of Jason Hammel, did he get 6 mil from cubs?  If so, Cubs dumber than dirt. 

I agree. I'm not sure what goes into their thinking. their contract with Edwin Jackson was a total overpay, and pointless to boot. he won't even be there by the time they turn it around. so why toss away an AAV of $14M/yr to have an overpaind, back of the rotation pitcher help them finish last in the division over the next couple of years?

BTW, the Cubs seems to be collecting O's pitching castoffs: Hammel, Arrieta, Strop & Gregg. 

Theo is praised for being a brilliant exec, but I question these decisions. 

I read an article this morning about O'Day. but it's not on the site any longer, so I can't add the link. It said he's working on a change up. I didn't know this, but apparently change ups are difficult for sidearmers to throw. it sounds like the grip of a breaking ball can be pretty easily adjusted to work with the arm angle and release point of a sidearm delivery. but the change up doesn't translate as easily.

The O's have brought in their former reliever Todd Frohwirth (who now works as a scout for the O's) to work with O'Day. the article said Frohwirth had a nice change up that he learned from Tekulve when they were teammates in Philly. O'Day throws a slider and a sinker. adding the change up could make him a killer of LH hitters. 

I agree. I'm not sure what goes into their thinking. their contract with Edwin Jackson was a total overpay, and pointless to boot. he won't even be there by the time they turn it around. so why toss away an AAV of $14M/yr to have an overpaind, back of the rotation pitcher help them finish last in the division over the next couple of years?

BTW, the Cubs seems to be collecting O's pitching castoffs: Hammel, Arrieta, Strop & Gregg. 

Cubs just trying to return favor for when MacPhail collected cub rejects like they were rare coins.  Who can forget the Pie experiment. Worst instincts I've ever seen in a MLB player,  Is it any wonder we sucked back then?

Cubs just trying to return favor for when MacPhail collected cub rejects like they were rare coins.  Who can forget the Pie experiment. Worst instincts I've ever seen in a MLB player,  Is it any wonder we sucked back then?

no wonder at all.

MacFail signed Pie in Chi. you would think that he would have learned his lesson. but no..he then decides to trade for him as the O's GM. i'ts mind boggling. 

no wonder at all.

MacFail signed Pie in Chi. you would think that he would have learned his lesson. but no..he then decides to trade for him as the O's GM. i'ts mind boggling. 

Yeah good ole Andy. made a couple nice moves, but results just not there.  I'm not sure folks realize how lucky we are to have DD.  This guy is good!

Agree on Epstein.  Last couple years in Boston terrible and Cubs tenure a flop so far.  He must of lost the sabermetrics slide rule Billy Beane gave him.  He is in the has been pile right now, 

Agree on Epstein.  Last couple years in Boston terrible and Cubs tenure a flop so far.  He must of lost the sabermetrics slide rule Billy Beane gave him.  He is in the has been pile right now, 

I know he offered full disclosure to cubs fans. he told them it would take a few years to become competitive. so why not save up all the dough you can, during the rebuild phase, and just add it the team when you'er ready to go get the ring?

Yeah good ole Andy. made a couple nice moves, but results just not there.  I'm not sure folks realize how lucky we are to have DD.  This guy is good!

You're right about DD. There are three obvious reasons for his success:

1. The easiest path to appreciation and adoration is to replace a total idiot like AM. Any replacement would look good in comparison.

2. DD works for a great owner.

3. Cousin DD has excellent bloodlines and great success runs in the family.

You're right about DD. There are three obvious reasons for his success:

1. The easiest path to appreciation and adoration is to replace a total idiot like AM. Any replacement would look good in comparison.

2. DD works for a great owner.

3. Cousin DD has excellent bloodlines and great success runs in the family.

You never cease to amaze!

He works for a great owner :rolleyes: . That's why I keep him on ignore. I only see nonsense like this when it's quoted   :D  :D  :D

He works for a great owner :rolleyes: . That's why I keep him on ignore. I only see nonsense like this when it's quoted   :D  :D  :D

he took his ball and went home last year, when his trolling became largely ignored. I don't think anything has changed over the winter. no one seems to want his nonsense around here.

he took his ball and went home last year, when his trolling became largely ignored. I don't think anything has changed over the winter. no one seems to want his nonsense around here.

Let me tell you about my prediction...

RH reliever Brock Huntzinger has had 2 strong outings. I'm not familiar with him at all. his stats page shows that he's spent his entire 8 yr pro career in the Boston farm system. it looks like he was a starter for 5 of those years, then they moved him to the pen. it's being reported that there are 3-4 BP spots that are up for grabs. so he's making some early noise that Buck has taken notice of.

Hey Weird here is a good article on Huntzinger that just posted today.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2014/03/sarasota-fla---the-orioles-2.html

I saw that a couple of the bubble guys do have options left for Norfolk.  Steve Johnson, Weeks, Brach and of course Yoon and Schoop.  Not sure how it works for non-roster guys like Meeks and Huntzinger if they don't make 25 man roster.  I assume they are free to go elsewhere?

Please don't take credit for my departure for a few months. I actually left when the season ended and reappeared when it was time to assist you all with my great predictions for 2014. Being put on "ignore" by the "ignorant" has no effect on my desire and responsibility to spread wisdom to those still capable of learning. You may not have such capability but you shouldn't attempt to speak for everyone on the board. Ignorance and arrogance is a rather poor combination so please speak for yourself and let others do the same.

Just in - The Yankees finish fourth in the AL East in 2014 and win it all in 2015.

Does anyone know whether or not Hall of Famer Vlad is out of jail yet?

Does anyone know whether or not Hall of Famer Vlad is out of jail yet?

I'll bite.  Vlad is/was in jail?!

I'll bite.  Vlad is/was in jail?!

Yes, he beat up a cop outside a disco back in 2012.