Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
weird-O

Spring Training

123 posts in this topic

Let me tell you about my prediction...

spot on. he's a 1 trick troll.

spot on. he's a 1 trick troll.

Two tricks. See above post referencing future Hall of Famer Vladimir Guerrero.  :P

Two tricks. See above post referencing future Hall of Famer Vladimir Guerrero.  :P

I stand corrected  :D

I stand corrected  :D

Good show. Finally a sign of very necessary humility from the self-proclaimed "weird-O." If he would only learn not to ignore, he would be far less ignorant. But alas, bad predictions from the arrogant breed ignore and ignorance.

Jimenez was dominant today against the Phillies, pitching two innings of perfect baseball and striking out 3.

He faced:

Revere (Ground out to pitcher)

Rollins (Struck out swinging)

Brown (Struck out looking)

Howard (Struck out looking)

Byrd (Flied out to right)

Abreu (Flied out to left)

Not sure about the pitch count, but you couldn't ask for a better start against what is (mostly) major league hitters.

Burnett was torched by the O's to the tune of 6 runs on 7 hits and 1 walk over 3 innings.

Norris was dominant today, going 3 innings, allowing 2 hits, 0 runs, 0 BB, and striking out 4. Tommy Hunter allowed a home run to Middlebrooks - his only run in 2 innings.

Gausman was also dominant in the second game of today's double header, going 3 innings, allowing 1 hit, 0 walks, and striking out 3 against a Red Sox lineup that included Nava, Pedroia, Ortiz, Napoli, Pierszynski, Gomes, and Bogaerts.

Really nice to see the O's pitching doing some good things.

Does anyone know whether or not Hall of Famer Vlad is out of jail yet?

Yes, he is. Yankee pedo Chad Curtis is still in jail.

I saw that Meek pitched another 2 scoreless innings retiring 6 straight last night.  When I was watching the replay of the Friday's game, Palmer commented about the bullpen depth DD brought in. He specifically mentioned Meek as being impressive.  Throwing 93-94 with a cutter and change that can get LH batters out.  He really likes him.  I think he has inside track to join Hunter, Webb and O'Day as the 4th RH in pen.  We are going to need another closer option because Tommy reminded me yesterday why he is such a risk.  Straight as string fastball up and over plater to Middlebrooks who crushes it for an HR.

We are going to need another closer option because Tommy reminded me yesterday why he is such a risk.  Straight as string fastball up and over plater to Middlebrooks who crushes it for an HR.

I like Tommy but this is so true. He simply leaves way, way too many straight fastballs up and over the plate. 

Patton finally got in to pitch last night in the ninth of a 13-0 game.  He gave up a 2 run bomb but struck out 3.  I have no idea what the plan is for him after his 25 game suspension.  Reading between lines seem like Buck is pretty P.O. at him. LH relievers who can get lefties out still a valuable commodity.  I think they wait and see how dela cruz or britton does in real game action in april then figure it out. 

We are going to need another closer option because Tommy reminded me yesterday why he is such a risk.  Straight as string fastball up and over plater to Middlebrooks who crushes it for an HR.

Hunter certainly gives up his fair share of HRs, but remember that ST is the time for pitchers to work on things, as well as add new pitches. Hunter is a very good reliever, and although he's going to blow saves, I don't think it will be as many as JJ blew last season. if he only needs to pitch 1 inning a few times a week, his fastball will blow away most hitters.

Hunter certainly gives up his fair share of HRs, but remember that ST is the time for pitchers to work on things, as well as add new pitches. Hunter is a very good reliever, and although he's going to blow saves, I don't think it will be as many as JJ blew last season. if he only needs to pitch 1 inning a few times a week, his fastball will blow away most hitters.

All I can say is we'll see.  Agree Tommy is a very good reliever, but closing is a different animal for whatever reasons.  There was a reason DD wanted to pay Balfour 15million bucks when Tommy was waiting in wings.  Hmmmm.

Hunter is a power pitcher who is working to improve arm strength right now.  As Wierd-o stated, it's all about working on things in ST.  Closers have little opportunity to work on in-game skills during the spring.  Tommy may ultimately not become the closer but he'll be part of the bullpen core regardless.  

All I can say is we'll see.  Agree Tommy is a very good reliever, but closing is a different animal for whatever reasons.  There was a reason DD wanted to pay Balfour 15million bucks when Tommy was waiting in wings.  Hmmmm.

I agree. Balfour would have been a major addition. while I don't think Hunter will be as good, I do think he has the mental toughness for the role. as we know, the key to closing is the ability to let go of last night's failures, and be just as confident, the next game, that you're the man tonight.

Johnson has that attitude. it's what allowed a pitch to contact closer to lock down 50 saves in back to back years. when he hit that miserable patch last season, I never got the sense that he was worried about taking the ball the next game.  

I agree. Balfour would have been a major addition. while I don't think Hunter will be as good, I do think he has the mental toughness for the role. as we know, the key to closing is the ability to let go of last night's failures, and be just as confident, the next game, that you're the man tonight.

Johnson has that attitude. it's what allowed a pitch to contact closer to lock down 50 saves in back to back years. when he hit that miserable patch last season, I never got the sense that he was worried about taking the ball the next game.  

I'm just glad we have a guy of Tommy's ability to step in after the Balfour fiasco.  When Buck allowed it last year he showed ho could do it in a few limited chances.  I'm hoping Tommy can do what Rosenthal )sp ?) did for cards last year.  Like you said , 99mph gas and blow guys away.  I really didn't want to see the 2013 JJ again this year.  Most of year his velocity sat at 92-93 and year before he was 95-96.  He just nibbled around so much last year he put himself in a hole so many times.  The blow saves cut the heart out of last years team in July and Aug. So with that being said I'll take my chances with Hunter over JJ.  But agree Balfour would of been nice.  Guy brings attitude and is a bulldog.  The only way this team doesn't win big this year is if the same thing happens on blown saves.  Tommy with fingers crossed.

Ok this is getting silly. We are already up 3-0 on pirates after one inning. It's just spring training but we are just pounding people!

Glad to see Chen sharp today. Velocity was at 92 and 93 on his two strikeouts. Retired 8 straight. I like it! If he and Norris step it this year, we are legit.

I'm trying to stay tempered because it's just spring training, but even I, the most pessimistic O's fan on the planet, is finding it hard not to get a little excited that the starting pitching is performing so well.

I

I'm trying to stay tempered because it's just spring training, but even I, the most pessimistic O's fan on the planet, is finding it hard not to get a little excited that the starting pitching is performing so well.

I'm in same boat. It's like night and day from the past several years. Even the last two year when we had a winning record the starting pitching at the beginning of year was less than mediocre. Last year first men up were Stinson/Garcia and this year we have Gausman. Oh my!

Ohlman, 23, had a breakout minor league season last year in High-A Frederick, hitting .313 with 13 homers in 100 games while earning the Carolina League Player of the Year honors. He played in two games this spring, going 2-for-3 at the plate. He was named by Baseball America as the organization’s ninth best prospect in 2014.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-make-three-more-cuts-20140310,0,6408695.story#ixzz2vacC1dC7

He was optioned to Bowie. his importance to the org. is only going to increase now that it looks like MW isn't interested in sticking around. 

Wow!  When both Ken and Slide are optimistic it's hard not to envision puppies and rainbows. 

In all sincerity, are you ready to bestow a little credit to Dan Duquette for working his tuckus off while negotiating the corridors in the warehouse searching for an office he can call home?

I am an unabashedly big DD fan at this point.  He stepped into a difficult spot.  The prior guy neglected depth in favor of bandaid signings while he lobbied for a job in the league office. Dan focused first on creating depth via a myriad of signings that will benefit the fans, and rotation in Norfolk.  Then he waited for the market to come to him and added pieces to the big league club.  His final exam will be whether he can re-sign the right members of the team's core while the talent in the minors develops over the next few years.

Whereas McPhail was all about one-dimensionally trite sayings like "buy the bats, and grow the arms", the GM now in place keeps all oars in the water and seems to never stop paddling.

He was optioned to Bowie. his importance to the org. is only going to increase now that it looks like MW isn't interested in sticking around. 

AA for most of this year and AAA next.  If the stars align, he'll be an affordable solution to the almost certain loss of Movie star Matt.