Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
weird-O

Spring Training

123 posts in this topic

I agree with you about Schoop. I don't see him coming up until he's ready to take over a f/t position.

I agree with you about Schoop. I don't see him coming up until he's ready to take over a f/t position.

Yes agree. No sense letting Schoop sit on bench as a back-up at this point. If Manny isn't ready or needs some games off early in year, I have Gonzales as the third baseman/utility if. I think Buck loves Flaherty and will stick him in at 2B full time. Give him every chance to do well and not jerk him over to third. I've said this before, but with Schoop's size, arm and power I see him as a third baseman if we can't bring Hardy back.

Interesting. I figured that ship had sailed, but it sounds like he's being prepped for long relief and spot starts versus specialized relief. 

"Orioles left-hander Brian Matusz threw five innings in a minor league game Tuesaday against the Minnesota Twins' Triple-A team at Ed Smith Stadium.

Matusz, who pitched the entire season as a reliever last year, is continuing to be stretched out as if he was going to be a starter. He threw 60 pitches Tuesday and mixed all four of his pitches in each inning.

“I was able to get five ups, so I think that was the ultimate goal -- to continue to build and I was able to get that work in,” Matusz said.

Right-hander Kevin Gausman threw three innings and right-hander Josh Stinson and left-hander Zach Britton each threw an inning."

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-early-orioles-notes-on-matusz-peguero-and-escalona--20140319,0,3318300.story#ixzz2wQXVkhG5

Matusz as a starter is a ship that should be well out to sea by now. but everyone thinks the can be the guy who turns around a lousy pitcher. I'd be interested to know who is specifically pushing for this. because their hubris will be a major weight around the neck of the team. the O's are good, but not good enough to intentionally lose 6-8 games with Matusz serving up batting practice from innings 4 until he's yanked with the opposing team in possession of an insurmountable lead.

brilliant  :rolleyes:

I just watched an inning of the O's. they had DD in the booth. he was talking about Tim Berry. he's a 23 yr old LH starting pitcher. Palmer said he throws 95 mph with a breaking ball and a change up. DD said most fans don't know about him yet, but he's on the radar of several other teams who have asked about his availability. DD said he thinks he could help the big club this year. 

I just watched an inning of the O's. they had DD in the booth. he was talking about Tim Berry. he's a 23 yr old LH starting pitcher. Palmer said he throws 95 mph with a breaking ball and a change up. DD said most fans don't know about him yet, but he's on the radar of several other teams who have asked about his availability. DD said he thinks he could help the big club this year. 

It's a nice problem to have so many (seemingly) legitimate prospects for a change.  Development and trading the right ones for the right missing pieces will be key to keeping the O's competetive for years to come.

It's a nice problem to have so many (seemingly) legitimate prospects for a change.  Development and trading the right ones for the right missing pieces will be key to keeping the O's competetive for years to come.

agreed

DD said the team is likely to make a trade in the near future, because the team has such a surplus of pitching, and teams are in need of arms. he mentioned flipping a pitcher to fill another need. when asked for details and what type of player he's looking to get in return, he sidestepped the question and busted on Thorne for always putting him on the spot with pointed questions. 

If O's make a trade to offload one of the pitchers who is out of options, that makes sense, but you never have enough pitching.

This team doesn't have the dominators on the mound to offload pitching just to offload.

If O's make a trade to offload one of the pitchers who is out of options, that makes sense, but you never have enough pitching. This team doesn't have the dominators on the mound to offload pitching just to offload.

I had the thought. maybe the reason Matusz is being stretched out to start, is to showcase him for a trade. I certainly have a jaded opinion of him, but a team in need of an arm, will give up something for him. the ROI will be commensurate with the desperation level of the trade partner.   

now that Det. has lost SS Iglesias for the year, look for the JJ Hardy trade rumors to start popping up all over the place.

Det is an annual superpower underachiever. no matter how good they look on paper, it just doesn't translate onto the field. with that pitching staff and that line up, they should be demolishing their opponents each night of the week. 

I would love to see them trade a starter for a guy who can close if Hunter implodes.

I would love to see them trade a starter for a guy who can close if Hunter implodes.

at this time, I doubt there are very many teams who would trade away an established closer. 

This sounds promising:

"Nelson Cruz had two doubles Thursday and seems to be driving everything he hits. He is batting .346, and though he doesn’t have any homers yet, he does have six doubles. He really helps make this offense even more dangerous."

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-notes-and-observations-machado-espn-cruz-20140320,0,7359886.story#ixzz2wbgS7d8j

This would be one of those moves for a purpose, that would be a good idea.

Going into the offseason there were issues to be addressed in the rotation as well as in leftfield, DH and 2nd base. To clear salary, another hole emerged at closer but the rotation has always been the #1 need. 

So, with a week to go until the season starts, the rotation is largely locked down via Tillman, Ubaldo, Wei-yin, Gonzalez and Norris. That may not give you goosebumps but all five have the potential to build on prior success.  But the depth behind those five is intriguing to say the least.  If any guy falters, the first wave will come from Britton, who's currently destined for a long relief spot, then you have Steve Johnson, Gausman and McFarland who all seem targeted for starter roles in Norfolk early in the year.  If those first nine rotation choices prove insufficient, in July you've got Johan, Yoon and Bundy to add to the mix.  And, unlike prior seasons, guys like Rodriguez and Wright can focus on their craft this year with no expectation beyond self improvement.  

There may be enough wiggle room to manage a trade now but IMO, the candidates are either too low value (Britton, Johnson, McFarland), too highly invested (Gausman, Bundy) or too speculative (Yoon, Santana) at this point.  And, what is the need you are addressing via trade anyway?

Cruz is the fulltime DH now that Delmon Young is destined for Tidewater or elsewhere.  Schoop, Flaherty and Weeks are an adequate glove and bat at the bottom of the order.  The team really only has two glaring weaknesses, closer and a leadoff hitter.  Some like Markakis for the first spot in the lineup but he's too slow to effectively distract the pitcher. Lough might fit but he's played injured and shown limited ability to hit into the gaps.  Urrutia is still in need of a glove but using him at DH seems like the wrong destiny for a 27 year old with only one year of professional experience.  Then you have Reimold who is fragile but appears to be coming around with the bat based on recent trickle down from Clearwater.   

What guys are out there who can field like Lough, hit .330 OBP or better leading off and can steal 25+ bases?  And, what would it take to bring them in now?

Edited by weenie

at this time, I doubt there are very many teams who would trade away an established closer. 

If things don't work out with Hunter they'll go to O'Day and/or Webb.  If all three prove unworthy, then they'll just need a solid glove to play first in the 9th (Flaherty).....when Davis moves from 1st to the mound. If he blows the save, he just moves back to first for the extra innings.

If things don't work out with Hunter they'll go to O'Day and/or Webb.  If all three prove unworthy, then they'll just need a solid glove to play first in the 9th (Flaherty).....when Davis moves from 1st to the mound. If he blows the save, he just moves back to first for the extra innings.

I like that plan. I will never forget Davis coming in to pitch for 2 innings. it will rank among my fav. O's memories

Gausman and Schoop are both making it difficult for Buck to send them down to start the season in the minors. 

Buck's Take on Spring Training:

As a moving truck was stationed outside the Ed Smith Stadium complex after Thursday’s game, Showalter gave an evaluation of this spring.

“We got everything accomplished that we wanted to, for the most part,” he said. “We got where we wanted to get with Manny and, health-wise — knock on wood — I couldn’t ask for a whole lot better, all things considered. The people who needed to present themselves well, did. And we had the tough decisions we needed to have at the end. A couple of bumps with the weather. Other than that, we’re as ready as we can be.”

Barring a late move, the 25-man roster seems set, with Delmon Young and Steve Pearce getting the reserve outfield/right-handed designated hitter spots, Meek receiving the final bullpen spot and Schoop earning the final infielder spot.

Now on to Baltimore, with maybe a stop off in Norfolk.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-as-orioles-take-a-day-of-rest-a-look-back-at-spring-training-20140327,0,3955801.story#ixzz2xGzRlrbw

What is it with Buck's love of Flahtery. I want to be wrong but I just don't see that guy as an every day major leaguer. From what I can see, Schoop is the real deal and should be our everyday second baseman.

an infield of Weiters, Machado, Hardy, Schoop, and Davis is arguably the best in the league, hands down.

What is it with Buck's love of Flahtery. I want to be wrong but I just don't see that guy as an every day major leaguer. From what I can see, Schoop is the real deal and should be our everyday second baseman.

an infield of Weiters, Machado, Hardy, Schoop, and Davis is arguably the best in the league, hands down.

Schoop is the every day 2bman. but he wasn't expected to be ready yet. IMO, that's why they didn't put much effort into adding anyone to play 2B. which Schoop waiting in the wings, it wouldn't make sense to add anyone who wasn't satisfied with a 1 yr contract. but JS blew everyone away. it looks like he's trying to take 2B this year. Flaherty is a good back up player. but he needs regular ABs and routine playing time. that's something Buck has never given him.

Markakis is iffy for today's game, due to neck spasms.