Spring Training

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#1 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,154 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:34 PM

I thought I'd start this thread so that we can make random comments on ST observations, over the next few weeks.

I'll start with the change up. I agree with Palmer, that the change up is a valuable pitch. early tweets from Brit Ghiroli have multiple references to O's pitchers having early success with it. One comment in particular came from Delmon Young. he struck out against Chen, who pulled the string on him with 2 strikes. even better, it sounds like threw him a cut change up. never heard of that one before. after the K, DY was heard commenting that he had no idea what Wei Yin throw him. 

hitting always develops faster than pitching, in ST. so it's good to hear about early success with individual pitches.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#2 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:07 PM

I thought I'd start this thread so that we can make random comments on ST observations, over the next few weeks.

I'll start with the change up. I agree with Palmer, that the change up is a valuable pitch. early tweets from Brit Ghiroli have multiple references to O's pitchers having early success with it. One comment in particular came from Delmon Young. he struck out against Chen, who pulled the string on him with 2 strikes. even better, it sounds like threw him a cut change up. never heard of that one before. after the K, DY was heard commenting that he had no idea what Wei Yin throw him. 

hitting always develops faster than pitching, in ST. so it's good to hear about early success with individual pitches.

Good thread Weird.  Two quick ones,  Pequeros off to fast start. DD and Buck love this kid.  Reimold really on thin ice.  Britton crappy first  outing. Three hits and a walk in two innings . Check please on both Britton and Reimold.  We need to move on. These guys can't get it done.

#3 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,564 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:52 PM

Schoop and Weeks are going to give Flaherty a run for his money for everyday 2nd base.

I still like Lough as every day left fielder with Cruz, Reimold, and Young fighting it out for dh/fourth outfielder duties.

#4 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,842 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:16 AM

Tillman might wind up a decent number 2.
The kids are alright.

#5 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,950 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

I'm interested to see how this team gels. I really think they could do alot with the group they have. Even if they platoon the closer spot, they can still be effective.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#6 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

Did any one see Dela Cruz pitch yesterday?  I missed it.  Was wondering how he looked.

#7 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:08 AM

Good thread Weird.  Two quick ones,  Pequeros off to fast start. DD and Buck love this kid.  Reimold really on thin ice.  Britton crappy first  outing. Three hits and a walk in two innings . Check please on both Britton and Reimold.  We need to move on. These guys can't get it done.

I may change my mind on Britton if he is throwing as well as Encina says he is.  If he has 93 velocity with that sinker working he could be effective as long man in pen.  I'd rather have Britton than McFarland at this point.  Not so with Reimold.  Peguero keeps impressing Buck and Young is raking the ball.  Pearce looking decent and can play first.  Reimold in early hole that keeps getting deeper. 

#8 RIKMAN

RIKMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:32 AM

Spring training is still early. Agree that Reimold has to break out or he is gone. To AAA or elsewhere. Ilike young and this guy peguero looks hungry.

Fun to watch but I am focusing on pitching.
Baltimore Sports fan since 1965!:cool:

Confusing the delusional with fact since 2005!

#9 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

I didn't see the two innings from Matusz yesterday, but the 35 pitch count didn't impress me. At that rate he would be done in the fifth inning of a regular season game. This is the same thing out of some of our other home grown arms like Britton and Arrietta.  Never can make it through five innings. Nibble nibble walk.  My nick name for Arrietta last year was "four and two thirds".

#10 douger

douger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,168 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:57 AM

I didn't see the two innings from Matusz yesterday, but the 35 pitch count didn't impress me. At that rate he would be done in the fifth inning of a regular season game. This is the same thing out of some of our other home grown arms like Britton and Arrietta.  Never can make it through five innings. Nibble nibble walk.  My nick name for Arrietta last year was "four and two thirds".

From what I understand, "nibble nibble" won't cut it with the O's new pitching coach. He wants his pitchers to throw strikes and let the good defense behind them pick up the pieces.

#11 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,154 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:02 AM

Did any one see Dela Cruz pitch yesterday?  I missed it.  Was wondering how he looked.

I saw this article today

http://www.baltimore...,0,325175.story

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#12 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:10 AM

From what I understand, "nibble nibble" won't cut it with the O's new pitching coach. He wants his pitchers to throw strikes and let the good defense behind them pick up the pieces.

Good to hear.  If these guys don't trust their stuff to throw strikes, there is bus to Norfolk ready to go.

#13 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,154 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:22 AM

I read the Britton article this morning. here's the line that stood out the most for me. it also defines Britton, Matusz and Arietta for me as well.

[Brady] Anderson said there was more urgency to Britton's workouts 

http://www.baltimore...y#ixzz2uudBJNJ6

seriously? this is how long it took him to develop a sense of urgency?

this is the problem with these lousy, self-entitled, AA throwers. they all feel like the O's owed it to them. they all leave me with the impression that they believe they're doing this team a great honor, by throwing for them. Matusz has been shown his place, and Jake has been shown the door. Britton must have finally realized that he's not a precious miracle, or a unique snowflake.

so what...he'll bust his hump and barely eek out a roster spot (mostly out of the O's fear that hell put it together when he's gone, rather than out of any real success). then he'll congratulate himself on his amazing success, and in no time at all, he'll go back to his usual habits that made him a barely adequate AA thrower. he'll have no value in a trade, he'll be released, and start the next phase of his career...bouncing around various minor league systems for the next 5 years.

I have no faith in his success, because he doesn't have the attitude necessary to be a ML pitcher. the comment above tells me all I need to know about Zach. he does the minimal work necessary to get by. 

he came up, had early success, the league adjusted to him, and he never felt like it was necessary to put in the effort to adjust back.

go ahead Britton, prove me wrong. I extended that offer to Matusz and Jake. how did that turn out?

Edited by weird-O, 03 March 2014 - 10:26 AM.

#14 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:46 AM

I saw this article today

http://www.baltimore...,0,325175.story

Thanks Weird.  If he shows something this spring I would think he would stick at least until Patton gets back.  Sets up an interesting scenario down the road when you have 4 LH relievers (Matusz,Dela Cruz, Britton and patton) and only 2-3 spots available.  You would think DD could find a deal out there.  I couldn't really guess who will  be gone.  I guess if dela cruz stinks it up he could be slipped through waivers.

#15 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:07 AM

I read the Britton article this morning. here's the line that stood out the most for me. it also defines Britton, Matusz and Arietta for me as well.

seriously? this is how long it took him to develop a sense of urgency?

this is the problem with these lousy, self-entitled, AA throwers. they all feel like the O's owed it to them. they all leave me with the impression that they believe they're doing this team a great honor, by throwing for them. Matusz has been shown his place, and Jake has been shown the door. Britton must have finally realized that he's not a precious miracle, or a unique snowflake.

so what...he'll bust his hump and barely eek out a roster spot (mostly out of the O's fear that hell put it together when he's gone, rather than out of any real success). then he'll congratulate himself on his amazing success, and in no time at all, he'll go back to his usual habits that made him a barely adequate AA thrower. he'll have no value in a trade, he'll be released, and start the next phase of his career...bouncing around various minor league systems for the next 5 years.

I have no faith in his success, because he doesn't have the attitude necessary to be a ML pitcher. the comment above tells me all I need to know about Zach. he does the minimal work necessary to get by. 

he came up, had early success, the league adjusted to him, and he never felt like it was necessary to put in the effort to adjust back.

go ahead Britton, prove me wrong. I extended that offer to Matusz and Jake. how did that turn out?

Can't disagree.  He is out of options so now he decides it's time to remove head from rear.  Well isn't that just great.  The Sun has trumpeted this guy all spring and years prior like he has Clayton Kershaw potential. So he has been reading his fluffed up press clippings for sure.  You are dead on here.  He might kick butt in order to grab a LH long relief job this spring, but he won't be happy with that for long.  He thinks his place is at the top end of a rotation somewhere and he will get bored out in the pen.  Trade this guy when you get a decent offer. 

#16 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

just saw that Reimold is out with food poisoning.  Check please!

#17 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

My Sherlockian instinct tells me that Young might be involved in the deed. The motive is there so let the sleuthing begin.

#18 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,154 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

that guy was born under a bad sign -_-

#19 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,154 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:32 PM

RH reliever Brock Huntzinger has had 2 strong outings. I'm not familiar with him at all. his stats page shows that he's spent his entire 8 yr pro career in the Boston farm system. it looks like he was a starter for 5 of those years, then they moved him to the pen. it's being reported that there are 3-4 BP spots that are up for grabs. so he's making some early noise that Buck has taken notice of.

#20 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

RH reliever Brock Huntzinger has had 2 strong outings. I'm not familiar with him at all. his stats page shows that he's spent his entire 8 yr pro career in the Boston farm system. it looks like he was a starter for 5 of those years, then they moved him to the pen. it's being reported that there are 3-4 BP spots that are up for grabs. so he's making some early noise that Buck has taken notice of.

I heard from a relative high up in the O's front office that the noise that Buck took note of was Brock passing wind. The word is he ate the same rotten food that poisoned Reimold.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users