• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#1 Gene

Gene

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,754 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:42 PM

WASHINGTON — First lady Michelle Obama will travel to China this month with her daughters, Malia and Sasha, and her mother, Marian Robinson, her office announced today.

The first lady's focus will be on the importance of education in her own life and in the lives of young people in both countries, her office said.

The trip will feature stops at important historical and cultural sites, a university and high school in Beijing and a high school in Chengdu.

http://my.chicagotri...e/p2p-79504485/

Cheap.

Common.

Grifter.

#2 Shad

Shad

Specksioneer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,378 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

I hope they have a good time!

#3 Gene

Gene

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,754 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:06 PM

What business does freeloading Grandma Robinson have on this sightseeing trip?

#4 mrsmlh

mrsmlh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:06 PM

You sound jealous Gene

#5 Shad

Shad

Specksioneer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,378 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:09 PM

She's probably never visited there before.

#6 demopublican

demopublican

20,758 posts 1 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,552 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:01 PM

My friend just got back and has excitedly been posting pictures. Good for them I hope they have a wonderful time.
"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#7 octoburn

octoburn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,638 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:59 AM

OMG!  This is it!  They are defecting!!  The whole "secret Muslim" thingy and all the pie~hoarding was meant to misdirect!  :eek:

#8 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,763 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:02 AM

WASHINGTON — First lady Michelle Obama will travel to China this month with her daughters, Malia and Sasha, and her mother, Marian Robinson, her office announced today.

The first lady's focus will be on the importance of education in her own life and in the lives of young people in both countries, her office said.

The trip will feature stops at important historical and cultural sites, a university and high school in Beijing and a high school in Chengdu.

http://my.chicagotri...e/p2p-79504485/

Cheap.

Common.

Grifter.

Let me guess. You didn't get invited again?

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#9 naive

naive

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,290 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:26 AM

Gene in unhinged...

This will likely cost the taxpayers somewhere around 45 billion dollars, and 29 cents...

#10 naive

naive

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,290 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:27 AM

Babysitter, so mom can go out on the town!!

#11 bullmikey

bullmikey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,201 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:10 AM

Free babysitter if Michelle's half as much a pain as my girls are. They seem to think that grandmom's got nothign better to do with her life than watch their kids while they do the fun stuff grandmom can't do because she's watching their kids. I'm expecting mrs. bullmikey's head to explode any day now. With me it's different. Neither trusts grandpop with the kids for more than a half hour at a time. More than that, they figure I'll have them dealing seven card stud and trimming cigars for the boys down at the VFW. I mean I can't fool my baby girls; they knew me the whole time they were growing up. They find it hard to believe I've mellow with age.   :rolleyes:  

Edited by bullmikey, 04 March 2014 - 11:11 AM.

“Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”
__ Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant

#12 douger

douger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,168 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:16 AM

Does it cost the taxpayers all that much more to take Granny with them?

First Families have been taking exotic trips on the taxpayer's dime for a long, long time. I'm not a big fan of it, I think it implies an air of elitism.

But what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

#13 bullmikey

bullmikey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,201 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

Does it cost the taxpayers all that much more to take Granny with them?

First Families have been taking exotic trips on the taxpayer's dime for a long, long time. I'm not a big fan of it, I think it implies an air of elitism.

But what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

You know that's funny. When I was in the navy I traveled a lot on official business. Always had to fill out an expense form and cough up receipts. Even then I was forced to swallow a good share of the expenses because the official government reimbursement rates reeked. This meant that I stayed in the crap motels and ate in the greasiest spoons and cursed Uncle Sam for being such a tightwad. Must be sky’s the limit when it comes to the first family? I bet even the family mutt travels in better style than I did during my 23 years of so-called government service. So naturally I'm jealous.   :P 

Edited by bullmikey, 04 March 2014 - 11:52 AM.

“Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

#14 douger

douger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,168 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:43 AM

You know that's funny. When I was in the navy I traveled a lot on official business. Always had to fill out an expense form and cough up receipts. Even then I was forced to swallow a good share of the expenses because the official government reimbursement rates reeked. This meant that I stayed in the crap motels and ate in the greasiest spoons and cursed Uncle Sam for being such a tightwad. Must be sky’s the limit when it comes to the first family? I bet even the family mutt travels in better style than I did during my 23 years of so-called government service. So naturally I jealous.   :P 

Sometimes he gets his own plane.

If there was a solid rationalization for trips like this, I'd have no trouble with them. And if you want to say that it extends America's good will to other countries, maybe that's rationalization enough.

Maybe it's just appearances and perception, but it seems that the Obamas have taken this to new levels, and it also seems galling at a time when so many people are without work or even meaningful work.

#15 musicmd

musicmd

the CAF Red Tail Squadron preserve and share the history and leg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,131 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:50 AM

Free babysitter if Michelle's half as much a pain as my girls are. They seem to think that grandmom's got nothign better to do with her life than watch their kids while they do the fun stuff grandmom can't do because she's watching their kids. I'm expecting mrs. bullmikey's head to explode any day now. With me it's different. Neither trusts grandpop with the kids for more than a half hour at a time. More than that, they figure I'll have them dealing seven card stud and trimming cigars for the boys down at the VFW. I mean I can't fool my baby girls; they knew me the whole time they were growing up. They find it hard to believe I've mellow with age.   :rolleyes:  

it appears you have a great life. :mellow:

" An educated person is not necessarily a person with an abundance of
general or specialized knowledge.

An educated person is a person who has so developed the faculties of their mind, that they can devleop anything or acquire anything that they want, or its equivalent, without
violating the rights of others"

#16 musicmd

musicmd

the CAF Red Tail Squadron preserve and share the history and leg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,131 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

Sometimes he gets his own plane.

If there was a solid rationalization for trips like this, I'd have no trouble with them. And if you want to say that it extends America's good will to other countries, maybe that's rationalization enough.

Maybe it's just appearances and perception, but it seems that the Obamas have taken this to new levels, and it also seems galling at a time when so many people are without work or even meaningful work.

They pay for their trips. Give it a google.

" An educated person is not necessarily a person with an abundance of
general or specialized knowledge.

An educated person is a person who has so developed the faculties of their mind, that they can devleop anything or acquire anything that they want, or its equivalent, without
violating the rights of others"

#17 bullmikey

bullmikey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,201 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

it appears you have a great life. :mellow:

Yeah, right up until the moment mrs. bullmikey's head explodes. Then it gets less great pretty damn quick.

#18 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,763 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:58 AM

I guess it's just me but I have a hard time seeing anything wrong with the family of the leader of the free world taking a couple of trips each year. And I didn't even vote for the guy

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#19 mrsmlh

mrsmlh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

I guess it's just me but I have a hard time seeing anything wrong with the family of the leader of the free world taking a couple of trips each year. And I didn't even vote for the guy

Not just you, I don't see anything wrong either.

#20 douger

douger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,168 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

They pay for their trips. Give it a google.

I believe what the Obamas - or any other First Family - pays for is lodging. They are not flying coach on United, but rather on specially equipped military aircraft. I don't think that they're paying for the logistical support that is required nor are they paying for the added Secret Service protection. If you add all of that in, it seems that such a trip would cost millions of dollars. The Obamas are hardly poor people but I don't think they've cashed in enough on their time in Washington yet to be able to afford the four or five trips per year that they take.

Edited by douger, 04 March 2014 - 12:07 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Grifter Alert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users