Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#2 douger

douger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,168 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:19 AM

Which probably means he's gone

Which may mean that revolving door Oher will return to the left side, if they sign him.

#3 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,220 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:31 AM

Which may mean that revolving door Oher will return to the left side, if they sign him.

They mentioned on 1057 the Fan this morning that they're apparently not at all close on Monroe and Oher would appear to be the fall back. I can understand why they didn't want to tie up $11m of the cap  with the tag, but good LTs don't grow on trees  :(  Maybe Ozzie will go hard on Jared Veldheer from Oakland since he wasn't tagged

Edited by bmore_ken, 04 March 2014 - 11:42 AM.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

#4 douger

douger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,168 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:50 AM

They mentioned on 1057 the Fan this morning that they're apparently not at all close on Monroe and Oher would appear to be the fall back. I can understand why they didn't want to tie up $11m of the cap  with the tag, but good LTs don't grow on trees  :(  Maybe Ozzie will go hard on Jared Veldheer from Oakland since he wasn't tagged

I don't think Oher will realistically command the kind of cake he may think he's entitled to. Of the two, I suspect Oher will be the most likely to be a Raven in the fall.

#5 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,220 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

I don't think Oher will realistically command the kind of cake he may think he's entitled to. Of the two, I suspect Oher will be the most likely to be a Raven in the fall.

I'm going to cringe if he's the LT. He's obviously going to be cheaper, I just hope if they sign him they also sign a LT. Or draft one at 17

Edited by bmore_ken, 04 March 2014 - 11:59 AM.

#6 douger

douger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,168 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:21 PM

I'm going to cringe if he's the LT. He's obviously going to be cheaper, I just hope if they sign him they also sign a LT. Or draft one at 17

I believe he plays an adequate but not exceptional RT. If the NFL adds the eighth official to look for interior line holding, he's gonna get brutalized with penalties. 

#7 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,506 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:39 PM

I believe he plays an adequate but not exceptional RT. If the NFL adds the eighth official to look for interior line holding, he's gonna get brutalized with penalties. 

Really? He's THE MOST PENALIZED LINEMAN in the NFL as it is. They don't need to do anything extra to find penalties for Oher. He is not the answer.

#8 douger

douger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,168 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

Really? He's THE MOST PENALIZED LINEMAN in the NFL as it is. They don't need to do anything extra to find penalties for Oher. He is not the answer.

He's not even the most penalized lineman on the Ravens roster. Shipley won that honor last season and he wasn't even a starter for part of the year.

#9 CajunRaven

CajunRaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,373 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

Which probably means he's gone

Maybe not. If they think he is asking more than he is worth, they may be hoping no offers up what he's asking for and then they can negotiate at a more reasonable number. 

Of course, there's always the fool out there.

Is it Football Season yet?

“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”

Thomas Jefferson

#10 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:01 PM

He's not even the most penalized lineman on the Ravens roster. Shipley won that honor last season and he wasn't even a starter for part of the year.

I looked at your link, so I see what you're saying, but that does not seem right. Oher only had 3 false starts all year?  I would swear it was more than that.  Perceptions can sure be wrong! 

#11 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,220 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:02 PM

Maybe not. If they think he is asking more than he is worth, they may be hoping no offers up what he's asking for and then they can negotiate at a more reasonable number. 

Of course, there's always the fool out there.

Exactly

Along with Branden Albert and Jared Veldheer, that creates some traffic, though there are a number of teams with significant needs at the position.

With the Dolphins and Cardinals also have glaring needs as well, the Ravens at least have a head start in the negotiations

http://profootballta...-tackle-market/

Among the teams that need a left tackle and are expected to go after Monroe if he's available: the Miami Dolphins, Arizona Cardinals, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Carolina Panthers.

Read more: http://www.baltimore...y#ixzz2v1Byduqv

So, what is Monroe worth? When looking at the average salaries for tackles, a deal that averages between $8 million and $9 million per season seems fair. That's the going rate for Duane Brown, Jake Long and Russell Okung. It would put Monroe in the top 10 for highest paid left tackles.

There is a chance that another team is going to pay more. But it wouldn't be the Ravens making that mistake.

http://espn.go.com/b...e-tag-on-monroe

#12 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,506 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:28 PM

I stand corrected.

#13 Rael

Rael

Rational member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,588 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:11 PM

I wonder if they think Osemele can step up to left tackle?

Pessimism is just an ugly word for 'pattern recognition'.

#14 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,220 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:16 PM

I wonder if they think Osemele can step up to left tackle?

I hope that's not the plan

#15 Dub

Dub

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

I looked at your link, so I see what you're saying, but that does not seem right. Oher only had 3 false starts all year?  I would swear it was more than that.  Perceptions can sure be wrong! 

Probably because he is always jumping, when the defender moves and gets the offsides call against the defense. I agree, I thought he had a good 4-5 more false-start penalties.

#16 RIKMAN

RIKMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,744 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:45 PM

My crystal ball foresees a tackle coming in the draft...

1st round

Baltimore Sports fan since 1965!:cool:

Confusing the delusional with fact since 2005!

#17 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,220 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:04 PM

My crystal ball foresees a tackle coming in the draft...

1st round

I'd rather see them go hard in on Veldheer. The draft is kind of a crap shoot. You could find the next JO or the next Robert Gallery. I'd like to see them sign the veteran and draft a tackle in a later round, although I wouldn't be terribly upset if they filled the position by draft.

Edited by bmore_ken, 04 March 2014 - 04:05 PM.

#18 RIKMAN

RIKMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,744 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:30 PM

I don't disagree. They have to find a left tackle. I'd like to see them draft one and pick up a solid FA LT or re-sign Monroe (more and more doubtful).

I think they are going to need 2...keep KO at guard.

And then...there's the Gino problem at center!

Baltimore Sports fan since 1965!:cool:

Confusing the delusional with fact since 2005!

#19 TigerBlood

TigerBlood

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:14 AM

If Oher is our starting left tackle next year we are screwed.  I think we would be hard pressed to finish at .500.   I usually trust that the front office has a plan that we don't know about, but after last offseason I no longer have that blind trust.  The Huff/Canty/Spears signing instead of keeping Boldin was a fail and we overrated our own offensive line prospects..  

The line has to be the number one priority.  The problem is that Ozzie swung and missed on Gradkowski and Oher so now we have three gaping holes in the line. If we don't sign Monroe then we will probably go LT in the first round.  IMO, that means we have to grab a WR if Free Agency.  I know all the local media types are saying the Ravens never make a splash in free agency, but they also don't usually find themselves in the situation they are in right now because they usually draft well and have prospects ready to step in.   I would go hard after Nicks or Decker, or maybe Edelman.  If they do that they can get an LT in the first rd and a center in the third rd.  Could go TE or WR with the second rd pick, or back to the Oline.  They actually have the cap space now to be pretty creative and make this work.

Edited by TigerBlood, 05 March 2014 - 08:15 AM.

#20 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:44 AM

I have a question. Could Monroe's agent be talking to other teams (not necessarily keeping Monroe informed) about how much $ interest they have in him if he hits the market? Or is that illegal? And how illegal might it be? Seems like it would harden his bargaining position if he knows he's got a big offer next week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users