Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

It Appears that the Decision Makers at the Castle have Finally Come to Their Senses?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 confused fan

confused fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:39 PM

A huge number of fans including myself feared that the offense was going to be a disaster even prior to mini-camps, and out of nowhere (literally) Gary Kubiak was hired as the offensive coordinator. No one is trying to proclaim that he is the next Offensive guru like a Bill Walsh but he is a considerable option over the offensive coaches in the past.

So at last, it appears that the Ravens will possibly have something that resembles a professional offensive that can perform on a consistent basis.

The decision making seems to be picking up steam this season also.  Pitta was resigned, however in my personal opinion, I think he has demonstrated that he is a 5 million dollar player instead of a 6.5 million dollar player, not a gigantic difference. They did not put the tag on Monroe, good decision and the Blind Side has not returned to the building however there are rumors that he may return which will be a step in the wrong direction. 

Just My Thoughts……….

If the Ravens bring the Blind Side back, it would be smart to have him compete for the Guard spot held by Shipley and load his contract with incentives including a clause on a limited number of penalties that can be generated in a game (holding, false start, illegal hands, personal fouls, etc.)  A personal coach attached to the Blind Side may help.

Now the Ravens must give Flacco weapons.  Take a moment and look at the weapons that Brees, Bradey, and Manning, has had in the past seasons and compare that to the roster of the Ravens.  Remember that Tandon Doss, who was featured in the Ravens Offense last season for a time period and was not invited to be on the roster of 31 other NFL Teams when released at the beginning of the season.

From a skill position, it would be interesting to see the Ravens go after two running backs, a blazer and a power back.  It appears that B. Pierce is injury prone and if better options are available why not release him? It appears that they are stuck with R.Rice at this point however if they release the punter, and other players they could take the 5 million dollar hit that #27 would be against the cap. For those who would want to argue, check the philopshy of the Seattle Seahawks the past few years. When players under-performed they were released and new players were brought in.  That is how the Ravens got a certain DB who was a member of the Washington Football team last year and T.J. a few years ago.

Torrey Smith is a great #2 at this point.  Marlon Brown is a solid #2 and great third option at this point.  It appears that the Ravens need to find a number #1 and possibly a tight end that is more athletic and blocks better than Pitta with better hands than Dickson.  Just a start……………………..

#2 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:44 AM

If the Ravens bring the Blind Side back, it would be smart to have him compete for the Guard spot held by Shipley and load his contract with incentives including a clause on a limited number of penalties that can be generated in a game (holding, false start, illegal hands, personal fouls, etc.)  A personal coach attached to the Blind Side may help.

I'm mostly in agreement with your thoughts.  However, in reference to Oher, someone pointed out on another thread that he did not have nearly as many penalties as we thought. In fact, Shipley and even Yanda actually had more on the OL.   

#3 gordon89

gordon89

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:54 PM

I'm mostly in agreement with your thoughts.  However, in reference to Oher, someone pointed out on another thread that he did not have nearly as many penalties as we thought. In fact, Shipley and even Yanda actually had more on the OL.   

"In fact, Shipley and even Yanda actually had more on the OL."  funny how perceptions can often thrump reality.

#4 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:50 AM

"In fact, Shipley and even Yanda actually had more on the OL."  funny how perceptions can often thrump reality.

Absolutely. I can almost guarantee you that if you asked the average Ravens' fan (or even Mike Preston) who had the most penalties on the OL, a majority would answer Oher.  Even though I saw the statistics, a part of my head still has trouble understanding the fact that he had only 3 false starts all year.

#5 Easton Raven

Easton Raven

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:37 PM

Absolutely. I can almost guarantee you that if you asked the average Ravens' fan (or even Mike Preston) who had the most penalties on the OL, a majority would answer Oher.  Even though I saw the statistics, a part of my head still has trouble understanding the fact that he had only 3 false starts all year.

That can't be right. He had 3 in one GAME.    OK...that is an exagerration...but I think there is a misprint in the stats.  If I recall, Oher lead the league in false starts somewhere near the end of the season I thought.

I would not be against keeping him.   He is a solid right tackle that needs to work on the false starts. He also had a few personal fouls last year for some reason. He has not bee prone to those in the pst I don't think.

Edited by Easton Raven, 11 March 2014 - 04:38 PM.

#6 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

I would also not be totally opposed to keeping Oher, but his seems like an obvious spot to seek improvement in an OL unit that had a terrible year. It was not all on him for sure (Monroe had only part of a season replacing a seemingly unmotivated McKinnie; Osemele was injured, Gradkowski was undersized and in experienced; and Yanda was injured at least early). Some improved health, consistency, and better play calling might improve the whole thing even if they are all back. Oher and Gradkowski seem like the obvious ones to have to fight to keep their positions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users