45 replies to this topic

#1 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,642 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

Renewed his contract for barely above the minimum, and no word of a long term extension offered. Way to throw a way a chance to establish some good will and help make him an Oriole for longer than he's obligated to be. What a joke.
The kids are alright.

#2 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,935 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

The Orioles could have given Machado a larger raise based on his production, but that is something typically not done with players in his situation. Matt Wieters, Adam Jones and Nick Markakis all went through similar scenarios before they reached their arbitration years.

Read more: http://www.baltimore...y#ixzz2vbqSvCg9

It's the business of the business. His turn will come

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#3 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,642 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:34 PM

It's the business of the business. His turn will come

It sure will. Probably in 5 years, when New York is washing the bad taste of Alex Rodriguez's contract away with a 20 million a year deal for Manny.

Edited by Slidemaster, 10 March 2014 - 07:35 PM.

The kids are alright.

#4 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,935 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:51 PM

It sure will. Probably in 5 years, when New York is washing the bad taste of Alex Rodriguez's contract away with a 20 million a year deal for Manny.

Way too pre mature to predict that. The guy has only one full season under his belt and The O's have 5 years to get him locked up. It's just business

#5 larsanderson

larsanderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:32 PM

Way too pre mature to predict that. The guy has only one full season under his belt and The O's have 5 years to get him locked up. It's just business

Orioles run the business like pennant winners and the baseball team like the dollar store.

When the fans stop caring how the business is run and stop being happy when the O's make another low risk high reward FA signing of a past prime middle reliever/corner OF/DH/#5 starter and start putting pressure on the team to be consistent playoff winners then maybe playing the lowball game with the best prospect the team has had since Mussina would be smart.

It's like the only standings these fans care about is the wins per payroll dollar

#6 hampden623

hampden623

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,494 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:54 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot...yaomingmeme.jpg

#7 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:58 AM

You got to dig deep to find something to moan about.  Frankly, Machado has less to complain about then Tillman.  This largely is a non-story about a young guy who needs to better understand how your first two years in the league go.  Manny will have plenty of time to earn his money, unless he's worried about his current progress in rehabbing.....

#8 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,935 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:04 AM

Orioles run the business like pennant winners and the baseball team like the dollar store.

When the fans stop caring how the business is run and stop being happy when the O's make another low risk high reward FA signing of a past prime middle reliever/corner OF/DH/#5 starter and start putting pressure on the team to be consistent playoff winners then maybe playing the lowball game with the best prospect the team has had since Mussina would be smart.

It's like the only standings these fans care about is the wins per payroll dollar

You'd have a case if it only the O's who did this. This is a league wide thing thanks to the CBA. In two years from now when Machado hits arbitration he won't be complaining

#9 Struds

Struds

Moderate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:48 AM

You got to dig deep to find something to moan about.  Frankly, Machado has less to complain about then Tillman.  This largely is a non-story about a young guy who needs to better understand how your first two years in the league go.  Manny will have plenty of time to earn his money, unless he's worried about his current progress in rehabbing.....

In which case, the O's would be worried too, and justified in not putting up the big bucks yet.

#10 Morgan208

Morgan208

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:21 AM

Trout got 1 million this season from the Angels and he is the best all around player in the game. Manny is coming off a devastating knee injury that could effect him his whole career.

#11 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:24 AM

He's making $9k more than Mike Trout did last year at age 21.

After seeing the picture this winter of Manny hanging with ARod and then him whining about his contract, I'm losing a little respect for the guy.

#12 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,935 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:03 AM

He's making $9k more than Mike Trout did last year at age 21.

After seeing the picture this winter of Manny hanging with ARod and then him whining about his contract, I'm losing a little respect for the guy.

Not me. I just see a kid who will be making three times less than a lot of players in the league with much lesser stats. Why wouldn't he be disappointed

#13 RIKMAN

RIKMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,927 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

His time will come. The O's better pay him too or there is going to be a very unhappy fan base!

Baltimore Sports fan since 1965!:cool:

Confusing the delusional with fact since 2005!

#14 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

Darn injury in late September.  You would of gotten 520K instead of 519K if you would of played the whole year, LOL.

#15 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,853 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:27 PM

you guys are funny. you'll are worried about Manny going to NY? obviously NY is going to extend Pay-Roid for another 10 years after his current contract ends. yankee fans love Pay-Roid and will freak out if Hank let's him walk.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#16 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,535 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

you guys are funny. you'll are worried about Manny going to NY? obviously NY is going to extend Pay-Roid for another 10 years after his current contract ends. yankee fans love Pay-Roid and will freak out if Hank let's him walk.

Lol. 

I think Manny would look better in pinstripes at shortstop

"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#17 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:17 AM

Not me. I just see a kid who will be making three times less than a lot of players in the league with much lesser stats. Why wouldn't he be disappointed

It's really tragic that this poor kid is being abused so.  After all, he's a 21 year old with over a whole year of experience hitting .280 and smacking double digit home runs and yet he's relegated to only a little over $500K in salary.  A wonder how much his old high school classmates are getting paid? 

#18 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,853 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:24 AM

Lol. 

I think Manny would look better in pinstripes at shortstop

damn it, you found a loophole.  :D

when the O's were eliminated by NY in 2012, the camera focused on Manny leaning against the handrail of the dugout, watching the yankees celebrate. the next day, someone posted that Manny stood there looking like he couldn't wait to be in pinstripes.

my opinion then, is my opinion now. if the O's maintain a competitive team, he's just as likely to stay, as he is to leave. this little contract comment is nothing to get in a twist over. it's standard practice, he knows that as well as anyone. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#19 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,935 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:34 AM

It's really tragic that this poor kid is being abused so.  After all, he's a 21 year old with over a whole year of experience hitting .280 and smacking double digit home runs and yet he's relegated to only a little over $500K in salary.  A wonder how much his old high school classmates are getting paid? 

Is there a reason you posted that to me? I'm the person who said it's just business

#20 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,898 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:12 AM

Machado will get his payday...and the O's will most likely front for it. I'm not sure that it is a cause for concern here. While Machado might have been "mildly disappointed", this is the nature of baseball. So far, DD has shown an interest in increasing payroll for the right players, and I have no doubt that Manny is one of those players.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users