• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:08 PM

Interesting link on MLB team values and revenues.  I guess numbers are good since they are from Bloomberg.  In a nutshell, the small market O's are the 7th most valuable at 1.12 Billion based on 2013 numbers.  The big nut is MASN. It said it pulls in 492 million in revenue.  Can that be right?  That's huge,

http://wallstcheatsh...ght-now.html/4/

#2 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:11 AM

If these numbers are right, it's the least Poor Petey could of done when he bumped payroll 15 mil this year.  Peanuts. Hey, I'm not complaining. I'll take it.  We are fielding best team on paper since 98.

#3 larsanderson

larsanderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:11 AM

5 playoff teams in the last 39 years, Baltimore is a tiny market.

#4 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

5 playoff teams in the last 39 years, Baltimore is a tiny market.

Yeah, whatever trollerson. Point is, the O's are not a small market team when it comes to revenue. The MASN windfall puts us in the upper-mid market range. Our payroll should be in the 115-120 mil/yr range. If Santana takes the 13.1 mil offer we are right there. I think we are finally reaping the rewards of that MASN revenue that everyone has wondered about. We finally have the ammo to punch the schoolyard bully Yankees and Red Sox back in the mouth. We can't go toe to toe for sure, but at least we aren't just sitting there in the corner just hoping to luck into a .500 record. We expect to win and win big.

#5 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,838 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:52 PM

The Os are a wealthy team with lots of cash. They just have a cheap owner...
"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#6 can you hear me now!

can you hear me now!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:20 PM

small market....pull the other one....the wOes problems begin and end with a small minded owner

:eek: CYHMN Enterprises-- Manufacturing gloom and doom since 1998. :eek:

chaos, panic, disorder-- my work is done here...;)

#7 kelsey59

kelsey59

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,477 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:49 AM

The team is owned by a lawyer. That says it all right there.

#8 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,773 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:06 AM

I don't think he's cheap, but I do think he cares heavily about the bottom line year-to-year, instead of looking at the long term benefit. I also think that he doesn't like to lose at any deal, which is why he's so cautious with FAs.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#9 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,838 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:03 AM

I don't think he's cheap, but I do think he cares heavily about the bottom line year-to-year, instead of looking at the long term benefit. I also think that he doesn't like to lose at any deal, which is why he's so cautious with FAs.

Whether you acquire players via Trade or FA, you win some deals and lose some deals. It's tough to predict baseball. 

With that said, it seems that the overall quality of Free Agent baseball players is declining. Teams are extending contracts for their top players earlier. The players hitting Free Agency in the next few years are more often going to be 2nd tier or lower and rarely going to be All-Star caliber. There seems to be less risk in signing a 2nd tier or 3rd tier Free Agent to be a role-player on your team versus overpaying for a Top tier Free Agent who may be near the downswing of his career(ie Robinson Cano). 

"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users