• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 meth007

meth007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:38 PM

The Dunbar Poets will host Friendship Colliegiate in a JV/ Varsity double header September 5.

Well so much for not scheduling anyone...

Your thoughts??

More on the 2014 Schedule coming soon #staytuned.

Edited by meth007, 12 March 2014 - 12:42 PM.

DUNBAR
Ch: 1994, 1995, 2004, 2006, 2007,2008
Fn: 1997
Sf: 1993, 1996, 2003, 2005
Qf: 1999, 2002

"it is better to be repected than to be liked"

www.bestcreditrestored.com
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#2 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:10 PM

My Thought...

Well, scheduling is one thing.  But beating the ones scheduled is all together a different story.  Those OOS scheduled foes can be tough.  Ask GA....  :D

Sorry GA.  :rolleyes:

#3 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

This will be a very down year gm for friendship...

Lost a lot of talent due to graduation, and players transferring out...

Also they are not getting the transfer recruits they usually get...

So great time to schedule them

#4 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:25 PM

Hmmmm...you didn't mention the coach lover!

#5 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,956 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:44 PM

Now that their coach is gone, I'm not quite sure how good Friendship will be. I've heard basically what was posted above, lot of players transferring out.

#6 Outside Looking In

Outside Looking In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:17 PM

Seeing how they got smoked by a down CHC team a few years back and that was with a loaded Dunbar team, I don't see this ending well for the Poets who lose a lot to graduation as well. Also it being the 1st game for Dunbar does not help either. Good luck to them.

#7 First_Down

First_Down

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:49 PM

Seeing how they got smoked by a down CHC team a few years back and that was with a loaded Dunbar team, I don't see this ending well for the Poets who lose a lot to graduation as well. Also it being the 1st game for Dunbar does not help either. Good luck to them.

Now I don't quite understand or follow your logic of what a loaded Dunbar losing to a down CHC a couple years ago has to do with Dunbar playing Friendship next year.  Moreover, if Dunbar lost a lot due to graduation last year according to you and Friendship did the same according to HSFBLover, then this sounds like a fair fight to me; DC against Baltimore.  I wouldn't mind seeing this contest.

#8 Outside Looking In

Outside Looking In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:56 PM

FD,

I say that because even though Friendship is down they will always have their share of some pretty top notch athletes. Dunbar on the other hand loses a lot and you never know what you are going to get. I have not heard anyone on here talking about what Dunbar has coming back this upcoming season. Usually they had a few game breakers (Austin, Farr, McManus, Crest, etc) coming back each year. I just don't know and have not heard who they have coming back. So if Dunbar could not beat a down CHC team with many weapons I don't see them beating a Friendship team that will always have players. Just my opinion of course. Friendship does have a new coach, but there was also a shake-up at Dunbar that has not been cleared up yet either.

#9 First_Down

First_Down

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:19 PM

FD,

I say that because even though Friendship is down they will always have their share of some pretty top notch athletes. Dunbar on the other hand loses a lot and you never know what you are going to get. I have not heard anyone on here talking about what Dunbar has coming back this upcoming season. Usually they had a few game breakers (Austin, Farr, McManus, Crest, etc) coming back each year. I just don't know and have not heard who they have coming back. So if Dunbar could not beat a down CHC team with many weapons I don't see them beating a Friendship team that will always have players. Just my opinion of course. Friendship does have a new coach, but there was also a shake-up at Dunbar that has not been cleared up yet either.

Nah OLI.  With a million titles in the last 10 years, I'm relatively sure one should know what you'll get out of Dunbar.  No they didn't win every game in the last 10 years or won titles every year over the last 10 but I think it's reasonable to say one can expect a good game from Dunbar from the success they have had.  They will not rollover and play dead after the coin toss I'm sure.  Again, I just don't see the nexus of a Dunbar team some years back losing to CHC some years back with Dunbar playing Friendship next season.  I just see it as two "named " teams playing, nothing more nothing less.  Both very well may suck next season but it's the team "names" who are playing, not named individuals.  Besides, Austin, Farr, McManus, Crest weren't Jack until they played and became truly marquee players.  The same will hold for the crop who will play next year.  They were probably backups who like players before them, made names for themselves by playing.  But right now, the two big names are Dunbar and Friendship.  And didn't they combine last season for about 10 losses and you say Dunbar and Friendship lost a lot due to graduation!!!

#10 Outside Looking In

Outside Looking In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:59 PM

1A titles are not impressive to most, sure they won a lot of them but they ran over the bad teams in the City league and were tested many time sin the 1A playoffs and championship games by other small 1A teams. Friendship is not a 1A team, they are a team that has no rules as far as getting kids to play. Friendship has been in the upper echelon of privates for a few years now. Dunbar has not beat any team of significance outside of the city league. If they have please remind me. Dunbar has always been a very undisciplined team and they are playing them first game which makes it even worse. Outside of Bmore/Metro area, Dunbar is not feared or much respected in football. They are looked at as a good, athletic team that rolls inferior competition. I think Friendship wins by 3tds at least. Again, just my opinion.

#11 harcohorns

harcohorns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:41 PM

Friendship is a DC public charter that has open enrollment and takes advantage of it the same as Dunbar..  The DC association cracked down on them with the recruiting and the coach left, players left and the cupboard is bare as far as major D1 talent..  FCA won't be the same they will be a DC open enrollment public the same as Dunbar is as far what they can bring in or will have..  FCA was not considered a well coached team either.. They have only beaten one team ranked in the top 1200 ever ( even with all that D1 offered talent) and that was a beat up ECA team last year..  I think its a even match-up now between Dunbar and FCA.. You will see FCA schedule more local games going forward now that the recruiting has been stopped. Nor can they afford to travel anyway. FCA will not be a very good team this year at least as far as being able to take on the top privates ...JMHO

Edited by harcohorns, 12 March 2014 - 07:44 PM.

#12 harcohorns

harcohorns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:49 PM

This will be a very down year gm for friendship...

Lost a lot of talent due to graduation, and players transferring out...

Also they are not getting the transfer recruits they usually get...

So great time to schedule them

HSF just out of curiosity.. I know FCA kids have inquired about ECA in the past.. To your knowledge will ECA be getting some of their kids?

#13 Outside Looking In

Outside Looking In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:18 PM

By the way, what is the current Dunbar coaching situation? Have not heard anything in a while.

#14 First_Down

First_Down

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:30 PM

1A titles are not impressive to most, sure they won a lot of them but they ran over the bad teams in the City league and were tested many time sin the 1A playoffs and championship games by other small 1A teams. Friendship is not a 1A team, they are a team that has no rules as far as getting kids to play. Friendship has been in the upper echelon of privates for a few years now. Dunbar has not beat any team of significance outside of the city league. If they have please remind me. Dunbar has always been a very undisciplined team and they are playing them first game which makes it even worse. Outside of Bmore/Metro area, Dunbar is not feared or much respected in football. They are looked at as a good, athletic team that rolls inferior competition. I think Friendship wins by 3tds at least. Again, just my opinion.

No problem with having an opinion.  That's what this forum is all about. But you would be very wrong to think 1A titles ( plural ) is not impressive.  Every every every other 1A team in MD would just love to have half the titles Dunbar has won.  If Dunbar ran over bad city league teams to win all those titles then they merely played who were placed before them.  But it's really no different than all the title winners in all the other classifications over the years.  The vast majority of all title winners played mediocre or bad league teams on the way to title greatness for them and that includes your current crop of champions or stellar teams from Middletown, River Hill, Wise, Old Mill, Fort Hill, and whomever you wish to name.  Most of the title winners over history were challenged once or perhaps twice and certainly not much more than three times in any given season when they won titles.  That's the nature of football in Maryland.  Look back and you will find most champions played half or more of the season against teams with an even or just over an even or actual losing season.

And you would be wrong again if you think Friendship doesn't have any rules as far as getting players.  They are a DC charter school who fall under DCIAA charter school rules.  But more important is the rule of the street meaning that just because you have a fairly good football team does not mean every player would care to go into the arm pits of hell in southeast DC to attend Friendship.  The school, it's environment, and it's resources would be enough to turn off many many many a talented player.  Friendship just greatly benefitted by a good coach and so many other DC schools being in such horrible shape with most DC schools not able or barely able to field teams.  Just glance at the educational posture of DC schools that would include Friendship and think of the great advantages your kid would have in attending Friendship.

Regarding what school outside of the city league Dunbar has beaten and your desire to be reminded, I ask you what other team in Maryland at any classification over many decades has beaten any other team of great significance?  It's easy to look at Dunbar to say what they haven't done but step back and ask those same questions of everyone else and you just may find Dunbar is no different than any of your other better or record setting programs including Urbana, Seneca Valley etc etc etc.

OLI, it's you who just don't respect Dunbar football for your personal reasons but I'll venture to say that damn near every competitive public team in Maryland wouldn't mind having a game on their schedule against Dunbar while most could care less if Fort Hill, Middletown, Franklin, or Northwest came a calling for a game and those are your current champions.  Add to it Douglass-Bmore, Patuxent, Linganore, and Suitland, your champion runner-ups, and your other competitive teams would still prefer a match with Dunbar.  I Call That A Hell Of A Lot Of Respect.

#15 Outside Looking In

Outside Looking In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:01 PM

I would not compare Dunbar with Seneca Valley, Damascus, Linganore, Urbana, Middletown. IMO they would all wipe out Dunbar year in and year out. Bmore area football is just not respected outside of the metro area. I would much rather tip my hat with a win against the teams I mentioned year in and year out. Again, just my opinion. I just don't know why everyone is so impressed about what Dunbar does. You saw what happened when they moved up to 2A they didn't even get out of the region. In the 1A they walked into M and T.

FD, Do you believe that Dunbar will win a 2A state championship within the next 3 seasons? I will go on record and say that they will not. If they do I will happily eat crow.

#16 First_Down

First_Down

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:12 PM

Friendship is a DC public charter that has open enrollment and takes advantage of it the same as Dunbar..  The DC association cracked down on them with the recruiting and the coach left, players left and the cupboard is bare as far as major D1 talent..  FCA won't be the same they will be a DC open enrollment public the same as Dunbar is as far what they can bring in or will have..  FCA was not considered a well coached team either.. They have only beaten one team ranked in the top 1200 ever ( even with all that D1 offered talent) and that was a beat up ECA team last year..  I think its a even match-up now between Dunbar and FCA.. You will see FCA schedule more local games going forward now that the recruiting has been stopped. Nor can they afford to travel anyway. FCA will not be a very good team this year at least as far as being able to take on the top privates ...JMHO

Harc

What are you talking about Friendship has only beaten one team ranked in the top 1200 EVER!!!!  The school has only been open since about 2000 and they have played what I would consider challengibg opponents for an infant program.  Many of your long standing privates would not have scheduled like FCA.

#17 harcohorns

harcohorns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:25 PM

Harc

What are you talking about Friendship has only beaten one team ranked in the top 1200 EVER!!!!  The school has only been open since about 2000 and they have played what I would consider challengibg opponents for an infant program.  Many of your long standing privates would not have scheduled like FCA.

That is besides the point.. Scheduling good teams does not make you a good team,. well unless you win.. in which they did not..  Yeah maybe they are a higher ranked team than the Poets in the last 5 years but that is done now,,, Poets will match up fine with the FCA team they field this year IMO

#18 First_Down

First_Down

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:46 PM

I would not compare Dunbar with Seneca Valley, Damascus, Linganore, Urbana, Middletown. IMO they would all wipe out Dunbar year in and year out. Bmore area football is just not respected outside of the metro area. I would much rather tip my hat with a win against the teams I mentioned year in and year out. Again, just my opinion. I just don't know why everyone is so impressed about what Dunbar does. You saw what happened when they moved up to 2A they didn't even get out of the region. In the 1A they walked into M and T.

FD, Do you believe that Dunbar will win a 2A state championship within the next 3 seasons? I will go on record and say that they will not. If they do I will happily eat crow.

I don't know what you can't compare Dunbar to the other schools you named.  If the truth is to be told, SV may hold the record for state titles but they haven't burst a grape in many many years.  SV is nothing but a prominent name if current titles is your measuring stick.  Damascus ain't much better.  Middletown is on a hot streak but that's of late unless you can tell me about the stacks of titles they won other than the last three.  But make up your mind dude.  Is it Baltimore football that is not respected to you or is it Dunbar footballl that is not respected or can I put you down for both?  You don't know why folks are impressed with Dunbar's titles but for the same situation you are impressed with others.  Why OLI?  You try to make a point that Dunbar moved up to 2A and didn't win the title last year but didn't River Hill move from 2A after winning a couple titles to 3A and didn't win it all the first year they were in 3A?  Of course that was the case and those like you wrote River Hill off and then they stormed back to when 3A.

OLI, you are far too short sighted and thus can't see the big picture.  Again, what you find fault with Dunbar is nothing more that doesn't exist in others but you refuse to see it in others.  Again OLI, why!!!!

Do I believe Dunbar will win 2A in the next 3 years????  Well OLI, I just don't know.  All I can tell you is that someone will win each season for the next three and Dunbar has just as good or just as bad of a chance as anyone one else and perhaps a better chance than most in 2A.

#19 First_Down

First_Down

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:52 PM

m

That is besides the point.. Scheduling good teams does not make you a good team,. well unless you win.. in which they did not..  Yeah maybe they are a higher ranked team than the Poets in the last 5 years but that is done now,,, Poets will match up fine with the FCA team they field this year IMO

It not besides the point.  It actually a useless point you try to make harc to merely cite Friendship hasn't beaten any team ranked higher than 1200.  Tell me, in the handful of years Friendship has played football, what were the three highest ranked teams they played????  Tell me the national ranking when they played those teams.

Edited by First_Down, 12 March 2014 - 09:54 PM.

#20 harcohorns

harcohorns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:02 PM

It not besides the point.  It actually a useless point you try to make harc to merely cite Friendship hasn't beaten any team ranked higher than 1200.  Tell me, in the handful of years Friendship has played football, what were the three highest ranked teams they played????  Tell me the national ranking when they played those teams.

Well I am not going to do the research tonight but you are claiming FCA is at a level of the privates that play a national type schedules and my point is just playing good teams does not make you a team of the level of teams you schedule if they beat you..   I am not arguing the FCA teams of the last three years are not way better that Dunbars just the FCA team that they will field this year and going forward will be on the same level of Dunbar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users