11 replies to this topic

#1 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,510 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:56 PM

3 years at 11 million. I think Smith could be a good fit, though I doubt he remains productive all the way to 37 (though I guess it's possible he could become another Derrick Mason).
The kids are alright.

#2 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,317 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:14 PM

We'll see what happens, but I'm not a big fan of this move.  Smith's production dropped significantly last year, in a year where his QB got significantly better.  He is not a young 34.  He has played in a lot of games.   I think they would have been better off sucking it up and paying Boldin last year or committing to going younger here. 

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

#3 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,510 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:20 PM

We'll see what happens, but I'm not a big fan of this move.  Smith's production dropped significantly last year, in a year where his QB got significantly better.  He is not a young 34.  He has played in a lot of games.   I think they would have been better off sucking it up and paying Boldin last year or committing to going younger here.

I don't think they're done at WR - I think they'll still find a way to grab Mike Evans in the draft.
The kids are alright.

#4 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,183 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

I don't think they're done at WR - I think they'll still find a way to grab Mike Evans in the draft.

I have a suspicion he'll be gone before 17

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#5 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,510 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:33 PM

I have a suspicion he'll be gone before 17

Most likely so, but I think he's the kind of guy they'll move up to take.
The kids are alright.

#6 Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!

Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

This just shows how dumb they were in letting Boldin get away in the first place. They get a guy who is a year older, not as big, who relies more on what is now, diminished speed.  I also don't see him as the redzone threat that Boldin is. I will never understand the logic in letting Boldin go essentially for nothing as a salary dump, to now have to go out and get an older, inferior replacement. What did they gain by this? I agree he will help the team, but this shouldn't even be necessary, had Ozzie been thinking straight after the superbowl win.

Edited by Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!, 15 March 2014 - 09:15 AM.

#7 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,503 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

This just shows how dumb they were in letting Boldin get away in the first place. They get a guy who is a year older, not as big, who relies more on what is now, diminished speed.  I also don't see him as the redzone threat that Boldin is. I will never understand the logic in letting Boldin go essentially for nothing as a salary dump, to now have to go out and get an older, inferior replacement. What did they gain by this? I agree he will help the team, but this shouldn't even be necessary, had Ozzie been thinking straight after the superbowl win.

In retrospect, you are absolutely correct. Still, it's in the past, and getting S Smith was smart. A lot smarter than last year's move to get Stokley.

#8 JasonM

JasonM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:10 AM

I'd rate this a "good" rather than "great" signing.  

When I first heard about this, I thought "too old, too short".  

But he did average 11.6 yards a catch, which isn't exactly world beating, but I think he's a good addition to a solid receiving corps.  And while he is 35, he hasn't missed a lot of time since his injury in 2004.
 If Pitta plays like the Pitta of the 2012-13 playoffs (and doesn't have another broken hip), Marlon Brown keeps improving, T.Smith & Jones keep doing what they've been doing, and S.Smith can put up stats comparable to last year's numbers, this passing game is looking good right now.  "If" being the keyword here, but I'm optimistic.

Edited by JasonM, 15 March 2014 - 11:15 AM.

#9 upROAR71

upROAR71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

Solid signing. The slot suits him better at his age and with his size. The Boldin train sailed long ago. No amount of griping is bringing him back. Onward and upward.

#10 daravenator

daravenator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,082 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

Boldin was a big strong receiver but did have trouble getting open against the best cornerbacks. Steve Smith will bring a Ray Lewis type of attitude to the offense this guys is tough as nails and doesn't back down to anyone on defense. I think he will outperform most of the rookie wr class and this way they can groom a wr for a year and learn from smith and smith

#11 Dub

Dub

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:18 AM

I would disagree on Cam getting significantly better. He through for less yards and did not have a 1000 yard WR on the team. I would say the team was significantly better because they had the best defense in the NFL with Luke leading the way.

#12 Saticon3

Saticon3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,559 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:40 PM

In retrospect, you are absolutely correct. Still, it's in the past, and getting S Smith was smart. A lot smarter than last year's move to get Stokley.

Did they "get" Stokely, or was he just about the only half way chance- to- be credible receiver  left at the time?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users