• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:02 PM

(Can We Please Try Not To Turn this Into A Off topic Pissing contest)

I Know GA will defiantly have something to say about this...

It was posted by a poster on Dallas Jackson's Site... Think he may be a FoxSports (Scout) guy...
1. Dematha lost 15 starters, but the only team that has more talent is ECA. I rank ECA lower only because it is highly unlikely that they will run the table with the schedule that they have. Dematha is getting an exceptional transfer offensive lineman from Texas in JP Urdiquez and they already have one of the best offensive linemen in the area in Terrance Davis. Tino Ellis, Tyler Green and Darryl Turner will be as good of a WR corps as you can get. Lorenzo Harrison and superfrosh Anthony Mcfarland will make a good backfield. Everyone I talk to is super excited about Beau English at QB and folks think that he could be one of the best to play there at QB. They have Deandre Kelley, Shane Simmons, Julius Combs and others coming back on defense. I don't see a more talented roster (other than ECA).

2. Centerville returns most of their starters, but they really don't stack up when you compare their personnel to any other team on this list. With that said, they may be a great team so we will find out when they play Gonzaga.

3. Mcdonogh's skill players are stacked with guys like Eric Burrell, Justin Hawkins, Kareem Montgomery and the highly efficient QB, Jansen Durham. They also have a highly sought after lineman in Ellis McKinnie, but they lost a few linemen from last year. Their best player is Wyatt Cook at linebacker. Overall, they are a very good team, but I question the depth.

4. ECA should be #1, but they are not very deep and will probably drop a few due to the murderous schedule. If they win out, then they have to be crowned national champs. People will complain because they definitely push the limits of the rules, but you can't hate the player, we have to hate on the game. People realized that Sills was initially overhyped, but he is probably under hyped now and a lot better than people think. If they reclassified a bunch of kids from 2014 then they may make history this year.

5. St. Johns is rated above Gonzaga because St. Johns made it to the WCAC final last year and beat Gonzaga to get there. St. Johns is returning even more talent than Gonzaga. Losing Ulmer is not a big deal because he was an athlete and they have guys that can replace him. Their DB's, WR's and defensive line is insane.

6. Gonzaga is close and we will find out about them when they play Centerville. Jabari Greenwood and Rich Petibon will be dominant. Nick Johns is a super athlete with his legs.
"" 1. Dematha lost 15 starters, but the only team that has more talent is ECA. I rank ECA lower only because it is highly unlikely that they will run the table with the schedule that they have. Dematha is getting an exceptional transfer offensive lineman from Texas in JP Urdiquez and they already have one of the best offensive linemen in the area in Terrance Davis. Tino Ellis, Tyler Green and Darryl Turner will be as good of a WR corps as you can get. Lorenzo Harrison and superfrosh Anthony Mcfarland will make a good backfield. Everyone I talk to is super excited about Beau English at QB and folks think that he could be one of the best to play there at QB. They have Deandre Kelley, Shane Simmons, Julius Combs and others coming back on defense. I don't see a more talented roster (other than ECA).

2. Centerville returns most of their starters, but they really don't stack up when you compare their personnel to any other team on this list. With that said, they may be a great team so we will find out when they play Gonzaga.

3. Mcdonogh's skill players are stacked with guys like Eric Burrell, Justin Hawkins, Kareem Montgomery and the highly efficient QB, Jansen Durham. They also have a highly sought after lineman in Ellis McKinnie, but they lost a few linemen from last year. Their best player is Wyatt Cook at linebacker. Overall, they are a very good team, but I question the depth.

4. ECA should be #1, but they are not very deep and will probably drop a few due to the murderous schedule. If they win out, then they have to be crowned national champs. People will complain because they definitely push the limits of the rules, but you can't hate the player, we have to hate on the game. People realized that Sills was initially overhyped, but he is probably under hyped now and a lot better than people think. If they reclassified a bunch of kids from 2014 then they may make history this year.

5. St. Johns is rated above Gonzaga because St. Johns made it to the WCAC final last year and beat Gonzaga to get there. St. Johns is returning even more talent than Gonzaga. Losing Ulmer is not a big deal because he was an athlete and they have guys that can replace him. Their DB's, WR's and defensive line is insane.

6. Gonzaga is close and we will find out about them when they play Centerville. Jabari Greenwood and Rich Petibon will be dominant. Nick Johns is a super athlete with his legs. ""

#2 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,452 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

Horrible list by a very uninformed poster! I don't think even the DM people would put them at number 1! DM is at least a year away. They will be great next year but just way too young. Lost way too much on defense. They will be third in the WCAC. Gonzaga will win the WCAC. Gilman, McDonogh and Gonzaga are the top teams in the DMV. ECA with all the reclassifications is definitely one of the top teams in the DMV but with that schedule, they could be in for a long season. Or they could be National Champs.

#3 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:24 PM

Horrible list by a very uninformed poster! I don't think even the DM people would put them at number 1! DM is at least a year away. They will be great next year but just way too young. Lost way too much on defense. They will be third in the WCAC. Gonzaga will win the WCAC. Gilman, McDonogh and Gonzaga are the top teams in the DMV. ECA with all the reclassifications is definitely one of the top teams in the DMV but with that schedule, they could be in for a long season. Or they could be National Champs.

good post GA... I agree with all that you said...
I'm just not sold on Gonzaga... Even with all of the talent on paper they don't play like it in games IMO....

They are like the red lion teams that didnt play with their stars...

But also they were young just like Gonzaga was last year... But also red lion never got blown out like Gonzaga did...

#4 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,452 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

good post GA... I agree with all that you said...
I'm just not sold on Gonzaga... Even with all of the talent on paper they don't play like it in games IMO....
They are like the red lion teams that didnt play with their stars...
But also they were young just like Gonzaga was last year... But also red lion never got blown out like Gonzaga did...

I agree with you about Gonzaga. That being said, I think they have one of the best coaches in all the DMV. Brady beat DM when he didn't have a lot of talent. They were young last year and losing their QB for most of the year also hurt. But the talent is there.

The one thing I agree with the poster on is McD. I think they lost way too much on the line and will have serious depth issues. They also play a schedule that they're not use to paying. The last time McD stepped up their scheduling? They ended up winning Iike 3 games. And this schedule is much much tougher. This is the reason why I have Gilman as the favorites in the MIAA.

#5 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:45 PM

Gilman most defiantly is going to win the MIAA from what I've heard McDs Strong point was it's line play.

#6 harcohorns

harcohorns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:54 PM

That poster sounds like he is making all his rankings based on reading forums .. :lol:  

#7 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:57 PM

That poster sounds like he is making all his rankings based on reading forums .. :lol:

If it is the scout guy posting it like suspect then you may be correct

#8 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,452 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:08 PM

Gilman most defiantly is going to win the MIAA from what I've heard McDs Strong point was it's line play.

Their OL was definitely their strong point. They had the best OL kin the state IMHO in Jared Cohen. Without him and Ford, they're going to be lacking there. Especially in the depth department. I hear they have a really good rising sophomore OL but we will see if he's ready for the bigtime.

#9 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

DeMatha barely beat Phoebus last year.  Kings Folk played both Phoebus and Oscar Smith, lost to OS by 50 and beat Phoebus by 4.   Centreville beat Oscar Smith by 30 which ranked like 10th in the country at the time so I’m sure you can connect the dots.  Centreville returns all their best players from last year’s team so I have no idea how you would put them behind DeMatha. 

Centreville is the real deal and if you’re around I hope you make it to the Gonzaga game.  Now since your threw ECA in you might as well as do all of VA and Ocean Lakes will be the cream of the crop in the all of the DMV.   St John’s lost to Loyola and beat CHC by 10 enough said about that.  O’Connell will be a wild card in the WCAC they have some great young talent and are bringing in more. 

All DMV

1. Ocean Lakes
  2. Centreville
  3. Gilman
  4. ECA
  5. Gonzaga

DMV area

1. Centreville
  2. Gilman
  3. Gonzaga
  4. McDonogh
  5. DeMatha

#10 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,452 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:33 PM

DeMatha barely beat Phoebus last year.  Kings Folk played both Phoebus and Oscar Smith, lost to OS by 50 and beat Phoebus by 4.   Centreville beat Oscar Smith by 30 which ranked like 10th in the country at the time so I’m sure you can connect the dots.  Centreville returns all their best players from last year’s team so I have no idea how you would put them behind DeMatha. 

Centreville is the real deal and if you’re around I hope you make it to the Gonzaga game.  Now since your threw ECA in you might as well as do all of VA and Ocean Lakes will be the cream of the crop in the all of the DMV.   St John’s lost to Loyola and beat CHC by 10 enough said about that.  O’Connell will be a wild card in the WCAC they have some great young talent and are bringing in more. 

All DMV

• Ocean Lakes
  • Centreville
  • Gilman
  • ECA
  • Gonzaga

DMV area

• Centreville
  • Gilman
  • Gonzaga
  • McDonogh
  • DeMatha

If I'm around I'm definitely making that Gonzaga/Centreville game. They should be outstanding next year. I'm not sure I would have Ocean Lakes ahead of them.

The issue with St. John's is and always will be coaching until they get rid of that staff. They were stacked last year. They will be stacked this year but I just don't see them winning the WCAC because of coaching. Your rankings look pretty spot on to me. And you're right O'Connell is definitely the wild card. They weren't a bad team last year and the young talent will be insane. Their issue I think is the same as McD, depth.

#11 dunkone

dunkone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:21 PM

All DMV

1. Ocean Lakes
  2. Centreville
  3. Gilman
  4. ECA
  5. Gonzaga

DMV area

1. Centreville
  2. Gilman
  3. Gonzaga
  4. McDonogh
  5. DeMatha

you seem to put a lot of emphasis on "who beat who by what and therefore they should beat so and so by such and such and therefore are better than them"....Centerville may do well with the schedule they have next year but they won't be as good as last year despite all the starters they have coming back...they don't have the kind of size or depth returning that would allow them(IMO) to beat dematha, gilman or mcd...Gonzaga has a handful of high profile kids but they also don't have much quality depth on the either sides of the line of scrimmage...the Centerville game for them should be a good one though...I actually think if gilman would just change it's offense and use all the talent they will have coming back, I think they would crush centrevile next yr...and centreville isn't returning all of the best players from last yr...

Edited by dunkone, 15 March 2014 - 05:27 PM.

#12 eaglesinsider

eaglesinsider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:12 PM

Their OL was definitely their strong point. They had the best OL kin the state IMHO in Jared Cohen. Without him and Ford, they're going to be lacking there. Especially in the depth department. I hear they have a really good rising sophomore OL but we will see if he's ready for the bigtime.

2 linemen doesn't explain 37-6. Ford (who's going to JMU) and Cohen will be missed and hard to replace. Ellis McKinnie has already been offered by UMD, Spencer Folau is one of the best HS OL coaches out there, almost the entire defense returns and Jansen will be essentially a 3rd yr starter. Most HS QBs make their big leap between sophomore and junior years.

I too am worried about the effect of an upper-echelon schedule, but McDonogh had no choice but to play one as their traditional academic peers refuse to play them.

Here's how I see the MIAA A and WCAC:

MIAA A

1. McDonogh

2. Gilman

3. Saint Frances

4. Archbishop Spalding

5. Loyola

6. Calvert Hall

7. Mount Saint Joseph

McDonogh and Gilman are fighting for 1st, everyone else for 3rd. I think CHC is in for another long year, which unfortunately may be the end of Donald Davis's time at the Hall. I was told last year that he was on the hot seat. I think Davis is a great coach and a great guy who deserves more time to build CHC back up again, but just repeating what I've heard. Also, if CHC lets him go, I expect them to be the mid-2000's CHC (a laughingstock) within two years.

WCAC

1. DeMatha

2. Gonzaga

3. Bishop O'Connell

4. Good Counsel

5. Saint John's

6. Bishop McNamara

7. Archbishop Carroll

I've heard from a very reliable source that GC has stopped giving athletic scholarships. I think they've got one or two more years as a top four WCAC team before they fall off precipitously. I think O'Connell makes a big jump this year. Also, I'd expect Saint Mary's Ryken to join the WCAC for football (they're already a member in all other sports) within the next five years.

#13 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:22 PM

you seem to put a lot of emphasis on "who beat who by what and therefore they should beat so and so by such and such and therefore are better than them"....Centerville may do well with the schedule they have next year but they won't be as good as last year despite all the starters they have coming back...they don't have the kind of size or depth returning that would allow them(IMO) to beat dematha, gilman or mcd...Gonzaga has a handful of high profile kids but they also don't have much quality depth on the either sides of the line of scrimmage...the Centerville game for them should be a good one though...I actually think if gilman would just change it's offense and use all the talent they will have coming back, I think they would crush centrevile next yr...and centreville isn't returning all of the best players from last yr...

I don’t think I said anyone would beat anyone just putting a line together of common opponents.  But yes I do think Centreville and Oscar Smith would have beaten DeMatha last year.  DeMatha was lucky to even be in the WCAC finals.   Besides their LB Centreville does return all their best players next you need to check your facts.  The will have 6 or 7 of the top players in the state on their team.  They will one of the best if not the best backfield in the DMV area, return all their skill players, and the OL will avg 250 lead by their 6’6 280 OT.   

Did you see Oscar Smith last year?  They had four D1 D linemen the number DT in the country last year and a top 10 DE in the country this year.  Everyone says size size size, DeMatha with all their size struggled with Phoebus so you can say what you want I saw the game first hand.   Everyone around this area get too caught up in the private schools.  Don’t get me wrong this some of the best football there is IMO.  But these schools in the 6A VA avg enrollment is 2500 the bigger schools top out at 3000.  You honestly think they don’t have size, plus the kids want to go to their home school it’s not like it is in MD.   

#14 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:27 PM

If I'm around I'm definitely making that Gonzaga/Centreville game. They should be outstanding next year. I'm not sure I would have Ocean Lakes ahead of them.

The issue with St. John's is and always will be coaching until they get rid of that staff. They were stacked last year. They will be stacked this year but I just don't see them winning the WCAC because of coaching. Your rankings look pretty spot on to me. And you're right O'Connell is definitely the wild card. They weren't a bad team last year and the young talent will be insane. Their issue I think is the same as McD, depth.

Ya you might be right, but Ocean Lakes is gonna be loaded across the board.  Oscar Smith will be loaded also there QB was only a Fr and threw for like 30 tds.  I know they lose two great players in Brown and Bradshaw, but they bring back a lot.

#15 dunkone

dunkone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:37 PM

I don’t think I said anyone would beat anyone just putting a line together of common opponents.  But yes I do think Centreville and Oscar Smith would have beaten DeMatha last year.  DeMatha was lucky to even be in the WCAC finals.   Besides their LB Centreville does return all their best players next you need to check your facts.  The will have 6 or 7 of the top players in the state on their team.  They will one of the best if not the best backfield in the DMV area, return all their skill players, and the OL will avg 250 lead by their 6’6 280 OT.   

Did you see Oscar Smith last year?  They had four D1 D linemen the number DT in the country last year and a top 10 DE in the country this year.  Everyone says size size size, DeMatha with all their size struggled with Phoebus so you can say what you want I saw the game first hand.   Everyone around this area get too caught up in the private schools.  Don’t get me wrong this some of the best football there is IMO.  But these schools in the 6A VA avg enrollment is 2500 the bigger schools top out at 3000.  You honestly think they don’t have size, plus the kids want to go to their home school it’s not like it is in MD.   

didn't centreville lose the starting QB, a couple of OL and  another LB to go along with wiggins who was the all-met?...and you say DM was lucky?...centreville was in a dog fight with south county(before pulling away in the 4th qt)...south gutted centreville on the ground so what do you think dm with Taiwan deal and lo lo harrison would have done?...is an OL averaging 250LB  supposed to put fear in  a team like dm or gilman or some of the other privates?...my point is centreville this yr would have been a competitive game for dm but IMO dm would have won because of size, depth and overall just better talent in too many positions....that's not a knock on centreville...next yr..they won't be as deep and they do lose key players despite the kids returning...they will still be good but not as good IMO as the top privates...

#16 dunkone

dunkone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:54 PM

.by way  dm with all it's size had no problems running the ball vs. phoebus - it was a tough first game that so many people want to use to make any number of(mostly negative) points about dematha . after that one game I heard that godby was going to wax them and that they would also get waxed by good counsel and st. john's.....they struggled against 1 team running the ball all yr(good counsel in the playoffs)...didn't even struggle during the but kicking from st. joes (just got behind early and had to throw)...so yeah, size does matter a bit..

Edited by dunkone, 15 March 2014 - 10:01 PM.

#17 mop

mop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:34 AM

Eagleinsider,

Good observations, MCD's sophomore OT and new center will have to step up for the Eagles to have a winning record. In addition, Cornwall needs to fulfill his vast potential as Jansen delivers a good ball, when he has the time. The QB will have to run more next year as well. I'm assuming the new RB, the transfer from CHC, will compete with Hawkins for the starting TB position. With Mike Smith and Akeem Myers returning at FB, their backfield blocking is in good shape. It will be interesting to see if Dom feeds Smith and Myers like he did Hurdle next fall. If they can stay injury free, i see a great Gilman-MCD game next fall.

#18 mop

mop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:34 AM

Eagleinsider,

Good observations, MCD's sophomore OT and new center will have to step up for the Eagles to have a winning record. In addition, Cornwall needs to fulfill his vast potential as Jansen delivers a good ball, when he has the time. The QB will have to run more next year as well. I'm assuming the new RB, the transfer from CHC, will compete with Hawkins for the starting TB position. With Mike Smith and Akeem Myers returning at FB, their backfield blocking is in good shape. It will be interesting to see if Dom feeds Smith and Myers like he did Hurdle next fall. If they can stay injury free, i see a great Gilman-MCD game next fall.

#19 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,452 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:04 PM

Eagleinsider,

The transfer of the CHC kid is a big get for McD, especially in the coming years. The question is, will they re-classify him? Going by McD's recent trend, my guess is a resounding YES. This is no disrespect to CHC, but McD is a tougher school academically.

#20 92 Card

92 Card

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:21 PM

The transfer of the CHC kid is a big get for McD, especially in the coming years. The question is, will they re-classify him? Going by McD's recent trend, my guess is a resounding YES. This is no disrespect to CHC, but McD is a tougher school academically.

I am sure they are going to try to convince him to reclassify. However, I do not think it has anything to do with academics. McDonogh has recently reclassified football/lacrosse/basketball transfers from Loyola and Gilman who were in good academic standing at those schools.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users