Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

The mysterious case of the missing EVT football Program.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 agentorange

agentorange

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,550 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:18 PM

I have waited for three years...still not one person has explained, what the hell ever happened to the Evt football team...the one that hoisted a state title just a few years ago...and While we are at it, throw in Joppatowne.

#2 harcohorns

harcohorns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:30 PM

Its simple in EVT's case .. The county stepped in and took the decision from tech schools on who gets in and it went to a lottery system controlled by BCPS...     As far as J-Towne they are very limited in numbers and not an area with much growth,  so they will have a couple years here and there where they are good but never consistent.. 

Edited by harcohorns, 22 March 2014 - 05:32 PM.

#3 BmoreCounty99

BmoreCounty99

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:39 PM

Its simple in EVT's case .. The county stepped in and took the decision from tech schools on who gets in and it went to a lottery system controlled by BCPS...     As far as J-Towne they are very limited in numbers and not an area with much growth,  so they will have a couple years here and there where they are good but never consistent.. 

Bmore county magnet schools have used the lottery since 2003. This did not impact et. The fact that it is extremely competitive to get in is a factor. 1200 applicants for roughly 300 spots. Et has never had the best talent but hard nosed kids that bought in. Et is going through a rough patch but winning 10 games a year for 9 years that will happen eventually. Also they moved to 3a a few seasons back and got beat up a little with less talent. They moved back down to 2a this past season and did better. Im looking for et to make some noise inthe next 2 seasons. Thet have some talent. Coaching staff has been there for over a decade. They will bounce back.

#4 HY3:13

HY3:13

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:33 AM

For years (the glory days of the 2000's) ET had a principal that was Pro Athletics and they were able to get many of the areas top FB players into school. The combination of him leaving (circa 2007 I think) AND as previously mentioned, the county stepping in to take over the admissions/lottery meant that they could no longer recruit who they wanted. Their coaching staff has always been among the finest and their teams in the 2000's were truly state powers in the 2A. They simply do not have the talent they once had and I am not sure they will ever reclaim their elite status. But, like BM99 said above, they will fare much better back in the 2A class. As the schools around them in the eastern part of the county continue to get deteriorate (Overlea, Kenwood, Dundalk, Chesapeake) the # of applicants for admission will increase.

#5 agentorange

agentorange

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,550 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:52 AM

Bmore county magnet schools have used the lottery since 2003. This did not impact et. The fact that it is extremely competitive to get in is a factor. 1200 applicants for roughly 300 spots. Et has never had the best talent but hard nosed kids that bought in. Et is going through a rough patch but winning 10 games a year for 9 years that will happen eventually. Also they moved to 3a a few seasons back and got beat up a little with less talent. They moved back down to 2a this past season and did better. Im looking for et to make some noise inthe next 2 seasons. Thet have some talent. Coaching staff has been there for over a decade. They will bounce back.

I agree with you all the way on this.....EVT football dropped off over night...the lottery thing and the other issues mentioned by several others would eqaute to a trickle down effect......simply put, The Mavs entire football program simply vanished into thin air...

Edited by agentorange, 25 March 2014 - 07:52 AM.

#6 BmoreCounty99

BmoreCounty99

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

For years (the glory days of the 2000's) ET had a principal that was Pro Athletics and they were able to get many of the areas top FB players into school. The combination of him leaving (circa 2007 I think) AND as previously mentioned, the county stepping in to take over the admissions/lottery meant that they could no longer recruit who they wanted. Their coaching staff has always been among the finest and their teams in the 2000's were truly state powers in the 2A. They simply do not have the talent they once had and I am not sure they will ever reclaim their elite status. But, like BM99 said above, they will fare much better back in the 2A class. As the schools around them in the eastern part of the county continue to get deteriorate (Overlea, Kenwood, Dundalk, Chesapeake) the # of applicants for admission will increase.

Bob Kemmery was the pro athletics guy and he left in 2001.  I graduated from there in '99. When ET was strong in late 90's with Ray Jones and the Lawston brothers that was when the principal could get kid in. The guy that took over for him was not an athletics guy. The current principal is a pro-football guy and supports the team immensely but the county took over the admissions in 2002-2003. So it is not the lottery that hurt them because their strongest teams were from 2007-2010. After the 2010 season they graduated a ton of talent and that next year they moved up to 3A. 2011 and 2012 were tough years for ET because they could not compete with the 3A who were strong (franklin, Hereford, Catonsville, MM, etc) In 2013 they finished 5-5 in 2A I believe but they were starting at least 5 sophomores and many juniors and they have a lot returning. So I look for them to make noise over the next few seasons. Also the school is getting much more competitive as far a applicants. I know for a fact many good athletes apply but they are usually the ones that do not get the minimum score to even get in. Many think that magnets have a huge advantage but they do not. If they were still able to get kids in then yes I would agree but now it is a crap shoot. But they will bounce back. Great coaches, hard working kids, they will be one of the top 2A teams again.

#7 BmoreCounty99

BmoreCounty99

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

I agree with you all the way on this.....EVT football dropped off over night...the lottery thing and the other issues mentioned by several others would eqaute to a trickle down effect......simply put, The Mavs entire football program simply vanished into thin air...

I for one know that the Jedi followed ET pretty closely a few years back and I even think you predicted ET to win it all in 2009 in the preseason and they did that year. You know the staff and what they can do. They will bounce back. I feel that City is kinda going through tthe same thing as far as getting players in. It seems girls dominate the admissions over there and most of the boys that apply do not have the grades. Very similar at ET. ET is a full magnet school which means everyone must apply to get in very similar to City and Poly. Many of the county schools have magnet programs but they are still a zone school and they use the magnet to get kids in that usually would not go there. It happened at Hereford for years with the Agriculture magnet. But ET, WT and Carver A/T have much more restrictive criteria. The same with City and Poly.

#8 BJC

BJC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:34 AM

I agree with everything you said BC99.  Hereford seems to be going through some lean years as well.  The power program is now Franklin.

#9 maryland57

maryland57

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:01 PM

It happened at Hereford for years with the Agriculture magnet. But ET, WT and Carver A/T have much more restrictive criteria. The same with City and Poly.

how much did they use their agriculture program for recruiting? Any big names?

#10 bmoreFB

bmoreFB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:00 AM

Akers and Tyrell Seabron for starters

#11 maryland57

maryland57

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:05 PM

Akers and Tyrell Seabron for starters

were they both on the 04 team?

#12 bmoreFB

bmoreFB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:44 AM

I believe so, also Tim Bristol a few years later.

#13 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

Joe Akers to the best of my knowledge attended Hereford his entire high school days but was he from the Parkton - Baltimore County area or was he actually from Baltimore City and moved to Hereford to play football.

And wasn't Randy Edsell his coach at UConn after high school when he was hurt as a freshman during the spring and never played again?

Edited by DayWalker, 06 April 2014 - 09:32 AM.

#14 bmoreFB

bmoreFB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:49 AM

He lived and I believe still lives in Reisterstown, yes Edsell was his coach at UCONN. He got a concussion in the state championship game of his senior year, enrolled early at UCONN for spring ball and got another concussion. I think he remained a part of the program and UConn honored his scholarship until he graduated.

#15 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:17 AM

He lived and I believe still lives in Reisterstown, yes Edsell was his coach at UCONN. He got a concussion in the state championship game of his senior year, enrolled early at UCONN for spring ball and got another concussion. I think he remained a part of the program and UConn honored his scholarship until he graduated.

I heard he was counselor or something like that out west.  But then would Reistertown be an out of district area for Hereford except for the special agriculture program?

Edited by DayWalker, 06 April 2014 - 09:19 AM.

#16 BmoreCounty99

BmoreCounty99

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:22 AM

Yes Day. He should have attended Franklin High School but was enrolled at Hereford through that program.

#17 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

Yes Day. He should have attended Franklin High School but was enrolled at Hereford through that program.

Got it, thanks.

#18 maryland57

maryland57

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

I believe so, also Tim Bristol a few years later.

I thought Tim Bristol was a transfer..anyways I don't believe Hereford had to recruit or use that program. They were supplied with plenty of talent over the years

#19 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:55 PM

I thought Tim Bristol was a transfer..anyways I don't believe Hereford had to recruit or use that program. They were supplied with plenty of talent over the years

What does supplied mean?  If you mean home grown kids from the area served by the school then okay.  But if they came from elsewhere, recruited or supplied, then that's all together a different story.  I was under the impression Hereford was all Parkton and immediate surrounding areas that the school serviced.  So was that the case or not or what in those championship or near championship years?

Edited by DayWalker, 06 April 2014 - 07:58 PM.

#20 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:56 PM

nm

Edited by DayWalker, 06 April 2014 - 07:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users