Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr. Buzzcut

Five game winning streak ?

28 posts in this topic

With Gonzalez on the mound tonight, I don't think they'll win.

The mighty Astros, eh? :)

They have the better starter tonight. McHugh has only allowed 13 hits and 4 walked in 19 1/3 innings and has a 2.79 ERA.

Edited by Rob

Gonzalez on the other hand has allowed 35 hits and 12 walks in 30 2/3 innings and has a 5.28 ERA

But he has a history of doing better. You should be used to baseball by now.

Orioles 20 - 14 

Yankees 19 - 16 1.5 games back

That was about as close as you can get to a must win game in May.

With the Yanks facing the mighty brew crew tomorrow let's go for the sweep!

History -- well, recent history -- can be made with a sixth straight win!

UPDATE:

Orioles have not had a 6 game win streak all year and only one 5 game (May 10).

They have had only two 4 game win streaks (June 4 and July 3).

They have had three 4 game losing streaks (April 5, May 14 and May 30).

But they have not lost two games in a row since June 29!

Since June 29 they have had five win streaks of 3 games or more.

Now the fun stuff:

"A team's Elimination Number is determined by adding the leading team's number of wins to the trailing team's number of losses. Subtract that total from 163. The first-place team's Magic Number is the same as the second-place team's Elimination Number".

So the orioles magic number for second place Toronto is 35 with 43 games left to play.

If the orioles go 21-22 in their games, Toronto would need to go 27-13 to tie the Orioles for first place.

The playoffs chances are looking good and the team deserves all the credit for putting themselves in that position. At the risk of sounding greedy, I want the division, not the wild card. Need to avoid that stupid one game playoff.

According to mlb.com, the orioles have 91.7% chance of making the playoffs, and 86.5% chance of winning the division.

The playoffs chances are looking good and the team deserves all the credit for putting themselves in that position. At the risk of sounding greedy, I want the division, not the wild card. Need to avoid that stupid one game playoff.

According to mlb.com, the orioles have 91.7% chance of making the playoffs, and 86.5% chance of winning the division.

I agree I don't want anything to do with that 1 game wild card. It's a coin flip.  As far as I'm concerned you don't get to the Playoffs until you win the Wild Card game.  One game??  Give me a break.    

If the O's don't win the division that would suggest they spiraled down and will end up in the madness that is the wild card race... in which case there's absolutely no guarantee they'd be one of the two wild card teams.  At that point it will be a mad scramble with a bunch of teams with almost the exact same record.  They absolutely have to win the division. 

Edited by BayAreaBmore

UPDATE:

Orioles have not had a 6 game win streak all year and only one 5 game (May 10).

They have had only two 4 game win streaks (June 4 and July 3).

They have had three 4 game losing streaks (April 5, May 14 and May 30).

But they have not lost two games in a row since June 29!

Since June 29 they have had five win streaks of 3 games or more.

Now the fun stuff:

"A team's Elimination Number is determined by adding the leading team's number of wins to the trailing team's number of losses. Subtract that total from 163. The first-place team's Magic Number is the same as the second-place team's Elimination Number".

So the orioles magic number for second place Toronto is 35 with 43 games left to play.

If the orioles go 21-22 in their games, Toronto would need to go 27-13 to tie the Orioles for first place.

You stole some of my thunder as I was going to post some of these same stats. The fat lady isn't singing yet but she's warming up in the background. To get 90 wins the O's can play below .500 ball which they have not done in any month this season. It's really looking like we are closer to at least a 95 win team right now. While both the Yankees and Toronto will have to play almost .700 ball to even get to 90 wins when they are hanging around .500 right now. The odds are definitely heavy in the O's favor to win the division this year with only 43 games left.

The O's are also beginning to separate themselves for that 2nd seed and starting to close in on the A's for the best overall record. I'm pulling for any scenario that pits the Tigers and the A's against each other in the earlier rounds.

Let's Go O's!!!!