Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Ravens acquire center from Tampa Bay (pending physical)

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,994 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

The Ravens offered up a 2015 draft pick to the Bucs for center Jeremy Zuttah. (The exact pick was not disclosed.)

http://www.baltimore...0,7531042.story

#2 RIKMAN

RIKMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,942 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

Ihave never heard of him but he hs got to be an improvement.
Baltimore Sports fan since 1965!:cool:

Confusing the delusional with fact since 2005!

#3 Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!

Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:06 PM

Ihave never heard of him but he hs got to be an improvement.

He is. We went from having the worst center in the league to only having 21 better....

#4 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,994 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:05 PM

He is. We went from having the worst center in the league to only having 21 better....

Is that where he's ranked?

(I know the Bucs upgraded at the center spot by signing the former Packer center, which made Zuttah expendable.)

#5 gordon89

gordon89

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:12 PM

Is that where he's ranked?

(I know the Bucs upgraded at the center spot by signing the former Packer center, which made Zuttah expendable.)

actually, "He graded out as the 22nd-ranked center in the NFL last year, according to Pro Football Focus, and did not allow a sack
all season."  hmmm... from 32nd to 22nd. draw your own conclusions.

Edited by gordon89, 23 March 2014 - 10:29 PM.

#6 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,994 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:48 PM

actually, "He graded out as the 22nd-ranked center in the NFL last year, according to Pro Football Focus, and did not allow a sack
all season."  hmmm... from 32nd to 22nd. draw your own conclusions.

OTOH, he's been replaced so that the Bucs can UPGRADE their line. The Ravens are taking their left-over center; the one they replaced so they can get better. Draw your own conclusions.

#7 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,154 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:12 AM

Good move Oz. I still hope he's talking to Chase Daniels though

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#8 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,017 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:59 AM

maybe I'm too willing to see the positive, but an upgrade is an upgrade. there's always a better player out there. but jumping up 10 rungs on the ranking ladder is a solid improvement.   

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#9 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,994 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:47 AM

maybe I'm too willing to see the positive, but an upgrade is an upgrade. there's always a better player out there. but jumping up 10 rungs on the ranking ladder is a solid improvement.   

22 is below the average of 16. It's hard NOT to improve when you're dead last, isn't it?

#10 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,017 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:57 AM

22 is below the average of 16. It's hard NOT to improve when you're dead last, isn't it?

I understand your point. you may have a good answer to this. are/were there better options that also fit the payroll & cap structure? 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#11 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,994 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:39 AM

I understand your point. you may have a good answer to this. are/were there better options that also fit the payroll & cap structure?

At the risk of sounding obvious...if the Bucs could go out and get an improvement at their center position, what was stopping the Ravens from getting the same guy? Was Rogers constantly under pressure with Dietrick-Smith as his center? Why go for the guy who was replaced rather than go for the guy who ultimately replaced him? Maybe THAT'S why Newsome hasn't been able to fix this mess of an O-line in over a decade.

#12 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,017 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:02 AM

At the risk of sounding obvious...if the Bucs could go out and get an improvement at their center position, what was stopping the Ravens from getting the same guy? Was Rogers constantly under pressure with Dietrick-Smith as his center? Why go for the guy who was replaced rather than go for the guy who ultimately replaced him? Maybe THAT'S why Newsome hasn't been able to fix this mess of an O-line in over a decade.

I don't know the $$$ involved in his deal with TB, that's what I was curious about. like you said, the obvious choice is to go right for the guy TB upgraded to. but his costs may not have fit the Ravens payroll.

#13 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,154 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:08 AM

I don't know the $$$ involved in his deal with TB, that's what I was curious about. like you said, the obvious choice is to go right for the guy TB upgraded to. but his costs may not have fit the Ravens payroll.

Here's your answer

he Tampa Bay Buccaneers have signed offensive lineman Evan Dietrich-Smith, the team has announced. According to Ian Rapoport, it's a four-year deal with $14.25 million in total value, which is a very solid deal for a starting offensive lineman. Adam Caplan notes it has $7.25 million in guaranteed money -- presumably the first two years of salary.

http://www.bucsnatio...r-year-contract

The deal is pending a physical, though the Ravens and Zuttah have already reworked the player’s original four-year, $17.09 million contract that he signed with Tampa Bay in March 2012, and are signing him to a new long-term contract, according to sources. Zuttah’s salary cap figures are now lower than the original $4.5 million in 2014 and $4.25 million in 2015, sources said.

Read more: http://www.baltimore...y#ixzz2wtBD1Ybh

If the numbers are accurate(and we don't have exact numbers on the Ravens deal only that they're lower than the guy was scheduled to make) The Ravens deal appears to be more cap friendly

Edited by bmore_ken, 24 March 2014 - 09:10 AM.

#14 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,994 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:09 AM

Funny...the Ravens always find money to sign the players they choose/want, regardless of the cost, don't they? (And Boldin is a perfect example. They didn't WANT him; it had nothing to do with the $2M difference between what they offered and what he wanted. And look at the results.) Yet, when it comes to the O-line, it's always a different story. And that's exactly why the O-line has been a mess for as long as it has.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan, 24 March 2014 - 09:11 AM.

#15 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,994 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

Here's your answer

If the numbers are accurate(and we don't have exact numbers on the Ravens deal only that they're lower than the guy was scheduled to make) The Ravens deal appears to be more cap friendly

And it remains to be seen whether or not that was a penny wise/pound foolish choice. The O-line should have been the MAIN priority -- which means you invest heavily in that area to fix it. Make no mistake about it -- the length of time that the O-line has been a mess is NOT a coincidence; it's the result of exactly this kind of choice. (i.e. Going for the sloppy seconds rather than the top of the line.)

Edited by OriginalColtsFan, 24 March 2014 - 09:13 AM.

#16 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,154 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:19 AM

You keep saying the O line has been a mess. Did you forget that messy O line helped us win a SB?

#17 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,994 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:35 AM

You keep saying the O line has been a mess. Did you forget that messy O line helped us win a SB?

Did YOU forget how LOUSY it was for the better part of that year? And how many of those guys are here NOW? As usual...you take ONE SLICE out of a BIG PICTURE that has been a mess for more than 10 years, and try to make some sort of point. How many times, even since Joe has been here, has he had the "luxury" of having THE SAME O-LINE from year to year? O-lines are different than other areas of a team. They need CONTINUITY to be successful. MOST GMs understand that, and respond accordingly. Ozzie Newsome does NOT understand that, and he does NOT respond accordingly.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan, 24 March 2014 - 12:48 PM.

#18 Dub

Dub

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

The Bucs are a poorly run organization. Ozzie has been able to take teams leftovers and have them be productive here with the Ravens with players such as Pollard, McKinnie for a year, Jacoby, Birk, Redding, Daryl Smith, etc. I don't think OCF was complaining about any of those pieces, some of which were instrumental in the Ravens winning the Super Bowl. I think this signing not only is an upgrade but creates more competition on the O-line. It will also allow Ozzie to take best player available in the draft.

Looks like only piece on O-line that is not accounted for is RT. I am hoping Lewan from Michigan is there at 17 and the Ravens pick him up. Beginning of the year he was talked about being the #1 pick and I think he can come in and start right away at RT.

#19 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,389 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:29 PM

I heard Gradkowski ranked 35th. So it's an upgrade. But he seems more like a guard playing center. Most of his TB starts were at left guard.

#20 sepulcro

sepulcro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:03 PM

OTOH, he's been replaced so that the Bucs can UPGRADE their line. The Ravens are taking their left-over center; the one they replaced so they can get better. Draw your own conclusions.

Let's see Ravens will replace the 35th ranked center of 2013 with the 22nd ranked center of 2013 ... drawing own conclusion ... Bucs got a better center which is irrelevant to the Ravens ... drawing own conclusion ....

Conclusion: the Ravens had an upgrade!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users