Steve Lombardozzi?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:39 AM

aren't the O's pretty well set for utility infielders?

Brit Ghiroli tweeted that they traded Alex Gonzales to Det for him, and Johnny Monell has been DFA'ed to make room on the 40.

what the heck, he's a very good utility player. it never hurts to upgrade.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#2 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:17 AM

The Orioles have always seemed to consider Utility Infielders to be like trading cards.

Collect them ALL!

Edited by Thirteen, 24 March 2014 - 09:18 AM.

#3 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,559 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:02 AM

I didn't know that he grew up in Columbia and rooted for the O's. I bet he's a little excited to be able to play for the O's.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#4 Struds

Struds

Moderate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,419 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:26 AM

Seems like a real good deal for Gonzalez because Detroit needs a SS; not sure what the gain is for the O's.

#5 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:53 AM

I didn't know that he grew up in Columbia and rooted for the O's. I bet he's a little excited to be able to play for the O's.

I saw that and was curious.  His father's wikipedia page just says that after he finished playing, he settled in Columbia.  I wonder why Columbia.

#6 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:24 AM

Link to Duquette article

Dan Duquette may be known for being slow on big moves, but it seems to me he is darn good on small moves, and I like this one. "Steve Lombardozzi is a talented infielder. He is good at second base and can also play third and the outfield. Switch hitter. Good hands. He is a hustler, a scrappy player. [He] has two years experience, and he’s just 25 years old." For the Orioles, a bunch of small improvements can serve to make an overall improvement.

#7 Navypost

Navypost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:55 AM

I saw that and was curious. His father's wikipedia page just says that after he finished playing, he settled in Columbia. I wonder why Columbia.

Probably one of the reasons, why that area is always in the top ten places to live.

Edited by Navypost, 25 March 2014 - 09:56 PM.

#8 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,559 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

I saw that and was curious.  His father's wikipedia page just says that after he finished playing, he settled in Columbia.  I wonder why Columbia.

me too. I guess you could say, why not Columbia. 

#9 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,559 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:03 PM

Link to Duquette article

Dan Duquette may be known for being slow on big moves, but it seems to me he is darn good on small moves, and I like this one. "Steve Lombardozzi is a talented infielder. He is good at second base and can also play third and the outfield. Switch hitter. Good hands. He is a hustler, a scrappy player. [He] has two years experience, and he’s just 25 years old." For the Orioles, a bunch of small improvements can serve to make an overall improvement.

I totally agree. if he hadn't been with the Nats all this time, I doubt I would really know who he is. but seeing him play makes me realize how much of an asset he is to the bench. What was it that Earl use to say, "deep depth"  ;)

#10 Yachtsman

Yachtsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,731 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:51 PM

I really like this move. Good player, hustler.
Yachtsman

#11 RIKMAN

RIKMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:18 AM

I always like this guy. He can do alot and I think he can play multiple positions.

He's scrappy. Buck's kinda guy. 

Baltimore Sports fan since 1965!:cool:

Confusing the delusional with fact since 2005!

#12 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:27 AM

When the Orioles got Alex Gonzales I sort of shook my head, wondering "what do we need with a 37 year old shortstop?" Then they flip him at the right time for a 25 year old piece that fits a number of places in the puzzle. Just good, canny wheeling and dealing it seems to me, which is what we need around here.

#13 Struds

Struds

Moderate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,419 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

When the Orioles got Alex Gonzales I sort of shook my head, wondering "what do we need with a 37 year old shortstop?" Then they flip him at the right time for a 25 year old piece that fits a number of places in the puzzle. Just good, canny wheeling and dealing it seems to me, which is what we need around here.

My first reaction (because Gonzales had a very nice spring) was that the team had simply swapped utility guys, and I didn't see the gain.  The age difference and the switch hitting ability makes this look like a much better deal than at first blush.

#14 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,559 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:03 AM

that's a really good point to make. and I think it's a good example of what DD brings to the table. I fully credit McPhail for the moves he made to bring in guys like Hardy, Tillman & AJ. but DD added urgency to the position. AM seemed happy to take a long, leisurely stroll toward being competitive. DD was on fire to win immediately. and I think we can really see the difference between the two GMs, now that DD has been here a couple of years. when he first took over, I remember thinking, "who the heck is Chen, what rock did he pull him out from under", or "great, more scrap heap signings named M. Gonzalez and McLouth. That's the Oriole way"

swapping Gonzalez for Lombardozzi didn't capture any headlines on ESPN. but it makes the team younger and more versatile. hence, the team is better.  

#15 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,873 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:21 PM

With ESPN it's all about corporate money. That's why they like to prop up New York and LA and the other big money makers.

#16 Agrippa

Agrippa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,067 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

Machado on DL, so there's a need for a player who can play 3B for a few weeks or maybe longer

#17 Struds

Struds

Moderate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,419 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:11 AM

Machado on DL, so there's a need for a player who can play 3B for a few weeks or maybe longer

That will almost assuredly be Flaherty, but this move gives them other options.

#18 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,559 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:28 AM

Manny Machado made his debut on Aug 9th, 2012. he was 20 yrs old.

#19 kudzu

kudzu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32,843 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:27 PM

weird-o:

Aren't you used to getting the scraps from DC by now ? :)

#20 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

I saw Meek struck out side again today in his one inning of work.  He has to make team over Acevides, who I'm not that impressed with.  The heck with the minor league option on this one.  I really think Meek will be right behind Jimenez and Cruz as the best off season signing. 

Reimold to DL.  Needed to be done.  He can't play outfield comfortably with neck. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users