Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tigercruise

Harbaugh gets 1 year extension on his contract.

36 posts in this topic

Interesting, very interesting. The coach who had no idea why his star running back did not play an entire half gets an extension (as a vote of confidence) from the owner. Maybe next year if he forgets who's in the backfield, he'll get another year? This is the same coach who told us three years ago that he needed to get more involved in the offense. I guess he's still learning.

I'm not as critical of Harbaugh as a lot of people here, but that extension is way too premature in my opinion

The coach who had no idea why his star running back did not play an entire half gets an extension (as a vote of confidence) from the owner. Maybe next year if he forgets who's in the backfield, he'll get another year? 

That's good stuff  :D

I can't wait to read the post that OCF levels upon this thread. :P  

His posts are pretty entertaining :D

I'm not as critical of Harbaugh as a lot of people here, but that extension is way too premature in my opinion

Yeah seemed unnecessary since he had 3 years left.

His posts are pretty entertaining :D

they sure are. 

I know you guys don't get along, but I really respect both of your opinions. ;)  

Yeah seemed unnecessary since he had 3 years left.

I agree with you guys. it seems like many coaches are lucky to last a total of 3 years, so what's the reasoning. it's not like he was about to become available and Steve would have to bid against other owners to keep him. 

they sure are. 

I know you guys don't get along, but I really respect both of your opinions. ;)  

I don't really have a problem with the guy. I just have a pet peeve for people who think  they're the authority on everything and their opinion is gospel like we're all mere peons in their world. I'm working on it though  B)

Counting slowly...1......2......3......4....

Okay...EFF the counting slowly...I think it's an asinine move!

:mad:

Counting slowly...1......2......3......4....

Okay...EFF the counting slowly...I think it's an asinine move!

:mad:

I agree, it's not logical or forward thinking at all. I have a much more favorable opinion of JH than you do. but the success of a coach is affected by the environment. a coach's approach to his job has to be compatible with who the players are. today's message may work with today's roster, but will it work with the roster of 2018? the answer isn't an automatic yes. he may be able to lead the team to the same level of success that he's had to this date. or, the culture could change to the point that his voice/message isn't being received as well in a few years. with that, I will add that some coaches completely control the culture so that players are joining their program, rather than the coach adjusting to that year's roster.

but those coaches are the exception, not the rule. maybe JH will become a coach who owns the culture, and that culture will produce more rings and annual post season visits. but it's too early to tell if that is the case. coaches need that hunger, just as much as a player does. there's a fine line with job security. it can breed success, but it can also breed complacency.   

I agree, it's not logical or forward thinking at all. I have a much more favorable opinion of JH than you do. but the success of a coach is affected by the environment. a coach's approach to his job has to be compatible with who the players are. today's message may work with today's roster, but will it work with the roster of 2018? the answer isn't an automatic yes. he may be able to lead the team to the same level of success that he's had to this date. or, the culture could change to the point that his voice/message isn't being received as well in a few years. with that, I will add that some coaches completely control the culture so that players are joining their program, rather than the coach adjusting to that year's roster.

but those coaches are the exception, not the rule. maybe JH will become a coach who owns the culture, and that culture will produce more rings and annual post season visits. but it's too early to tell if that is the case. coaches need that hunger, just as much as a player does. there's a fine line with job security. it can breed success, but it can also breed complacency.   

And so...despite the fact that Bisciotti is a good owner -- and I do believe he is a good owner -- he tends to make some poor choices sometimes.

And so...despite the fact that Bisciotti is a good owner -- and I do believe he is a good owner -- he tends to make some poor choices sometimes.

Don't we all?!?!  Let's hope he doesn't come to regret this one.

Don't we all?!?!  Let's hope he doesn't come to regret this one.

Sure we all make mistakes. What we DON'T have is the responsibility for a billion dollar NFL franchise. So the consequences are a little different.

Still...while I'm not a fan of Harbaugh, he's not the worst head coach in the NFL. So worse comes to worse it'll just be more of the same -- maybe some playoffs, around .500 if things don't go well, etc.

Sure we all make mistakes. What we DON'T have is the responsibility for a billion dollar NFL franchise. So the consequences are a little different.

Still...while I'm not a fan of Harbaugh, he's not the worst head coach in the NFL. So worse comes to worse it'll just be more of the same -- maybe some playoffs, around .500 if things don't go well, etc.

I sure hope it is more of the same. What is it...five straight years in the playoffs with a super bowl victory and a rebuilding year. I'll take that any day of the week. Where do you get .500 from anyway? Harbaugh's record has to be above .600 and I guess it is closer to .650

Edited by RavingManiac

Where do you get .500 from anyway? Harbaugh's record has to be above .600 and I guess it is closer to .650

I think he's talking about last season. Shhh don't tell OCF, there are are about 30 GMs in the league who would snatch up Harbaugh in a minute if he was available ;)

I sure hope it is more of the same. What is it...five straight years in the playoffs with a super bowl victory and a rebuilding year. I'll take that any day of the week. Where do you get .500 from anyway? Harbaugh's record has to be above .600 and I guess it is closer to .650

Reading and comprehension never was your strong suit. I know it's hard to follow...but try: Last year, he had a .500 record, when "things didn't go well". See how easy that was. Heck...even Bmore_Less got that part.

What difference does it make? If the Ravens stink up the joint this year and it looks like it is Harbaugh's problem he's gone anyway. The rest is just numbers. I don't get the angst.

What difference does it make? If the Ravens stink up the joint this year and it looks like it is Harbaugh's problem he's gone anyway. The rest is just numbers. I don't get the angst.

for me, it's not angst. I like JH. it's just an odd move to tack on another year out of the blue. but just posting that I think it's an odd move doesn't make for an interesting conversation.  ;)

I still dont understand how a team could or would want to get rid of a coach that hasn't had a losing season and won a superbowl. I mean if someone told me I could have a coach that had that I would snatch him up in a second.

I still dont understand how a team could or would want to get rid of a coach that hasn't had a losing season and won a superbowl. I mean if someone told me I could have a coach that had that I would snatch him up in a second.

You mean...like the Niners? They were horrible before Jim Harbaugh took over. Yet they aren't thrilled with him at all. And if anything, he's a better coach than his brother John because at least he knows offenses. So maybe there's something about the Harbaughs that grates on people's nerves. You don't seem to see that, though. But others certainly do. And it has nothing to do with W/L records.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan

You mean...like the Niners? They were horrible before Jim Harbaugh took over. Yet they aren't thrilled with him at all. And if anything, he's a better coach than his brother John because at least he knows offenses. So maybe there's something about the Harbaughs that grate on people's nerves. You don't seem to see that, though. But others certainly do. And it has nothing to do with W/L records.

I hear what you're saying, but when it comes down to it, I think it does have a lot to do with the wins and losses.  Billick wasn't exactly Mr. Personality, but he would probably not have been let go without the losing season in 2008.  Also, wasn't it Cleveland, not SF that started the "trade Jim Harbaugh" idea? 

You mean...like the Niners? They were horrible before Jim Harbaugh took over. Yet they aren't thrilled with him at all. And if anything, he's a better coach than his brother John because at least he knows offenses. So maybe there's something about the Harbaughs that grate on people's nerves. You don't seem to see that, though. But others certainly do. And it has nothing to do with W/L records.

With the 49ers, I would chalk that up to horrible ownership.

I hear what you're saying, but when it comes down to it, I think it does have a lot to do with the wins and losses.  Billick wasn't exactly Mr. Personality, but he would probably not have been let go without the losing season in 2008.  Also, wasn't it Cleveland, not SF that started the "trade Jim Harbaugh" idea? 

No, it wasn't Cleveland. It happened. And they haven't been in any rush to extend him, because they don't like him. And you can't say it has to do with wins/losses, when SF has done nothing BUT win under Harbaugh, and they simply are not impressed with HIM. Whether you acknowledge it or not, the Harbaughs as a whole, including daddy Harbaugh, have a rep in the business. And it's not very good, DESPITE wins/losses. They're arrogant and obnoxious. The whole lot of them.