10 replies to this topic

#1 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50,026 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

There's a new villain for you guys to complain about. Have at it

The Dodgers are ending the Yankees' 15-year streak as baseball's biggest spenders and as of Tuesday had a projected payroll of $235 million, according to study of all major league contracts by The Associated Press.

New York, which last failed to top the payroll rankings in 1998, was a distant second at $204 million. After that, it was another huge gap to Philadelphia at $180 million, followed by Boston at $163 million and Detroit at $162 million

http://espn.go.com/m...ees-15-year-run

"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#2 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,697 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:07 AM

Houston is last at $45 million, up from $27 million at the start of last year, and Miami at $48 million remains 29th.

It's great for the sport when the top spender has a payroll that is $190 million more than the lowest spender.  :rolleyes:

#3 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50,026 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:21 AM

It's great for the sport when the top spender has a payroll that is $190 million more than the lowest spender. :rolleyes:

Time for a salary cap?
"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#4 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,043 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:56 AM

It's great for the sport when the top spender has a payroll that is $190 million more than the lowest spender.  :rolleyes:

that's a personal choice by those ownership groups. there's no excuse for maintaining a $45M payroll. especially when you consider that the revenue check to those teams is covering a good portion of it. those owners are pretty much having their overhead paid for them by other teams. with Houston, I give some leeway. they were recently purchased and the new ownership group is still getting their sea legs. but Miami is a repeat offender. Miami needs to be folded. or at the very least, they need to join TB in their relocation to cities that care about baseball.  

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#5 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,697 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:13 AM

Time for a salary cap?

In the past I would have said yes, but now not so sure.  Weird-O brings up a good point about teams that don't even try to spend.  But it seems like something needs to be done.  Orioles are in the middle at $107 and the Dodgers are almost $130 million over that!

Salary cap does work very well for the NFL.

#6 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,043 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

In the past I would have said yes, but now not so sure.  Weird-O brings up a good point about teams that don't even try to spend.  But it seems like something needs to be done.  Orioles are in the middle at $107 and the Dodgers are almost $130 million over that!

Salary cap does work very well for the NFL.

I have long held the opinion that a salary cap must come with a salary floor as well. a cap will keep NY, Bos & LA in check, but Loria isn't going to increase his payroll, no matter how little NY spends. 

with a cap and a floor, each team should be able to live within the parameters of $80M to $150M. there are only 4 teams that exceed $150M, but there are 11 teams that live below $80M. 

to compensate for the unique business model of MLB, allow a team to live above the $150 max for 3 seasons. after that, you have to trim payroll. for those who are rebuilding, you can live below $80 for 3 seasons. buy then, you should be on your way back to competing. for a team like TB, who competes while living on a tight budget, you get an exemption for the min. payroll rule. if you're wise enough to be able to compete with NY while carrying less than 1/3rd their payroll, there is no reason to punish you.   

these are just some thoughts, and the specifics would need to be hashed out. but it's not acceptable for teams like KC to just feed off of the league year in & year out.  

Edited by weird-O, 26 March 2014 - 11:57 AM.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#7 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:01 PM

Time for a salary cap?

And a salary floor

#8 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,043 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:22 PM

And a salary floor

that's a brilliant idea  :D  ;)

#9 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,352 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:48 PM

Only two of the top 4 spenders made the playoffs  last season. I don't see a problem

Edited by bmore_ken, 26 March 2014 - 01:48 PM.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#10 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,043 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

Only two of the top 4 spenders made the playoffs  last season. I don't see a problem

and one of the low payroll teams is a perennial contender - TB. I don't think a cap is necessary. but if the owners, who are dedicated to winning, are to be penalized, then so should the owners who are dedicated to raking in profit while their team (and fans) twists in the wind

#11 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

that's a brilliant idea  :D  ;)

I actually posted that before I read your post.  What's that they say about great minds?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users