• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,173 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:01 PM

Is he worth it? He definitely deserves to be the highest paid player but they're going to hate paying him $30 mil a year for his age 36 through age 41 seasons.

Cabrera, who turns 31 in April, is an eight-time All-Star in 11 seasons with the Marlins and Tigers. He's a .321 career hitter with 365 home runs. He's the only major league player with 100 or more RBIs in each of the past 10 seasons, and last year he became the first Tiger to win three consecutive batting titles since Ty Cobb achieved the feat from 1917-1919.

Cabrera's last extension with the Tigers paid him $22 million this year and next year, so the new deal will add eight years and about $250 million to that total.

If the new contract is calculated as a single,10-year entity, it will surpass the 10-year, $275 million contract that Alex Rodriguez signed with the New York Yankees in December 2007 as the largest deal in Major League Baseball history. Based on a career average of 607 at-bats per season and an average of $30 million annually, Cabrera would earn $49,423 per at-bat.

http://espn.go.com/m...-detroit-tigers

"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#2 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,851 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:42 PM

Is he worth it? He definitely deserves to be the highest paid player but they're going to hate paying him $30 mil a year for his age 36 through age 41 seasons.

http://espn.go.com/m...-detroit-tigers

Miggy is freakin awesome, but no way am I giving any 31 y/o a 10 year contract for 30 mil per. No way. 

#3 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,762 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:24 PM

The next Pujols here. He was worth this contract 4 years ago.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#4 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,188 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:40 AM

Teams never seem to learn.

#5 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:07 AM

On the way to work, I heard on the Fan that his estimated pay per at bat will be something like $49K which is a little higher than the average annual salary for a Michigan family. 

#6 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,485 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:21 AM

Teams never seem to learn.

I couldn't have said it better. this was the first thought I had when I heard about this deal. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#7 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:12 PM

Players revenge. Probably from all the years of being ripped off. read about how the Yankees used to always try to give their Hall of Famer's pay cuts every year even though they had great seasons?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users