• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:36 AM

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports confirmed that Trout's deal is worth $144.5 million. It will take him through his salary arbitration years and the first three years of free agency. The average yearly salary will be almost $24.1 million.

LINK

Pretty good deal for both sides imo.

#2 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,335 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:01 AM

What will it take for the O's to keep Chris Davis from leaving?

"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#3 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:28 AM

I'm guessing, $18-20m per year

#4 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,003 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

While Trout is probably the best player, $24 mil a year for a player with just 2 seasons under his belt seems crazy.  Obviously if he continues at the current level (or exceeds) and stays healthy, it's a great deal.  Still, it's a ton of money for such a young player.

#5 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,960 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:49 AM

Something similar if his numbers this season hit his averages for the last 2 seasons

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#6 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,960 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:50 AM

While Trout is probably the best player, $24 mil a year for a player with just 2 seasons under his belt seems crazy.  Obviously if he continues at the current level (or exceeds) and stays healthy, it's a great deal.  Still, it's a ton of money for such a young player.

It's MLB bro. If I had a dollar for every MLB contract that didn't make sense, I'd be typing this from Tahiti with an umbrella drink in my hand ;)

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#7 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,003 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:59 AM

It's MLB bro. If I had a dollar for every MLB contract that didn't make sense, I'd be typing this from Tahiti with an umbrella drink in my hand ;)

Sad but true.  There were some pretty funny articles about the ridiculous Cabrera contract.  I guess Trout's next contract will be $40 mil a year.

#8 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,335 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

I think the logic is, they're more likely to get a positive return on their investment. Trout is still pretty young and he hasn't hit his prime yet.

The alternative is for them to keep spending that kind of money on aging free agents who's best years are behind them(ie Pujols and Hamilton)...

Edited by soulflower, 29 March 2014 - 09:22 AM.

"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#9 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,055 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:02 PM

It's better than whatever Miggy got for a 31 year old ballplayer.

Players should be paid for their current and future performance, not their past performance.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#10 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

The players generate the money.

#11 Agrippa

Agrippa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:33 PM

I'm guessing, $18-20m per year

Angelos,will never pay that, or anything close to it. Angelos will not pay that when n his mind he can get 85% of Chris Davis' production for 15% of the cost of Chris Davis.

#12 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

Angelos,will never pay that, or anything close to it. Angelos will not pay that when n his mind he can get 85% of Chris Davis' production for 15% of the cost of Chris Davis.

I never said he would. The question was what it would take. Someone else might offer him $17.9m.

#13 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,467 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:13 PM

$24 mil a year for a player with just 2 seasons under his belt seems crazy.

your reasoning is sound. the only reason I disagree with you, is because Trout had an MVP season in 2012. they he followed it up with an even better MVP season in 2013. one MVP season, by a young player, could be dismissed as a fluke. but, when he came back and topped it, he convinced me that he's a next level talent.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#14 kudzu

kudzu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32,716 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:42 PM

And a morally compromised, barely legal Tahitian female in the other hand, no doubt. :)

#15 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:49 PM

I agree but Angelos did surprise me this offseason....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users