• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ziptop

ziptop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

The one that stands out probably the most was '89. I thought that game set the tone for the whole year. It started on a high note and got the ball rolling for a great year. And an unexpected one at the that. What set the tone was Steve Finley's catch of a ball banging into the wall. It just seemed to set the tone for positive things to come.

In contrast, was the year before I'm pretty sure, when the Orioles were getting beat pretty bad. I remember somebody yelling, "Put in Neidenfuer's wife!" It expressed our feelings and it wasn't depressing; it was funny. I loved it. I've always remembered that. You might remember that our relief pitcher's wife was quite good looking, though he wasn't having much luck as a picher.

Always a rite of Spring though and usually pretty cool, but their were some that were hot and I think even a bikini made an appearance one year.

#2 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,272 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

Texeira's first game with the Yankees on Opening Day was pretty good.  The boos were amazing.

#3 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,712 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:48 AM

I've only been to 2 opening day games. One was the snow game with Rodrigo Lopez starting. The other was the 2011 season. for the next 160 games, opening day was the only highlight of the season. then came game 162 when it was eclipsed by the "Curse of the Andino".

Su-hu-kit Boston  :D

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#4 Stoneman

Stoneman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:16 AM

The one that stands out probably the most was '89. I thought that game set the tone for the whole year. It started on a high note and got the ball rolling for a great year. And an unexpected one at the that. What set the tone was Steve Finley's catch of a ball banging into the wall. It just seemed to set the tone for positive things to come.

Zip - Agree, '89 was great, and being a Joan Jett fan it started off even better as I believe she sang the National Anthem that day(my memory may be a little fuzzy).   Ripken's 3-run bomb off Clemens, and the extra inning win - Why Not???   Great memories

#5 jamesdean

jamesdean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:03 AM

My only opening day as a kid was 1976 when Jim Palmer threw 8 shutout innings enroute to a 1-0 victory.  If I recall correctly, it was a couple of Boston errors that led to the only run.  And it was FREEZING that day with a stiff wind.  Fortunately, it was a quick game before hypothermia set in.  And no, Reggie had not arrived yet.

#6 ziptop

ziptop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:46 AM

I remember seeing Joan Jett at the stadium, but I didn't know it was that day, it could have been, She probably sang the anthem more than once. I didn't remember it was extra innings. No wonder it was exciting. I just remember that catch by Finley and how it seemed to be a sign of things to come.

#7 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,712 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

My only opening day as a kid was 1976 when Jim Palmer threw 8 shutout innings enroute to a 1-0 victory.  If I recall correctly, it was a couple of Boston errors that led to the only run.  And it was FREEZING that day with a stiff wind.  Fortunately, it was a quick game before hypothermia set in.  And no, Reggie had not arrived yet.

Palmer was talking about that game last night. he said Reggie waited a month to show up to Memorial Stadium. Reggie is a proud member of the a-hole athletes club. he is supremely unlikable 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#8 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,197 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

My favorite (somebody help me out with what year it was) was opening day against the Red Sox at Memorial Stadium. The Orioles came from behind to win when Cal Ripken hit a homer off Roger Clemens.

Just looked it up. 1995

Edited by Steveg85321, 03 April 2014 - 06:08 PM.

#9 ziptop

ziptop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:15 AM

Reggie, a sad moment in Orioles history, and it wasn't and it won't be...the last. I think that was an Earl Weaver move. It was very ill advised and it turned out just as bad as one could have imagined.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users