• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 confused fan

confused fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:24 AM

The Broncos and Patriots have upgraded their teams on paper this past offseason.  Unfortunately I agree with Mike Preston’s assessment of the bargain basement shopping that the Ravens have done this past two offseasons (granted this offseason is not over by a long shot). 

I am from the school of thought that you learn from previous lessons. Last season’s bargain deals: D. Smith, it worked out right, yes. How about Huff and Spears, well different story.  Granted, this is not the only factor that possibly landed the Ravens 8-8 last season thanks to the line (scheme possibly) and the running game (lack of).

Recently, the Ravens upgraded the center position if you look at rankings from Pro Football Focus (32 to 22).  I hear Richard Sherman’s post-NFC Championship Interview-especially the word he emphasized throughout-MEDIOCORE. 

The Ravens were headed into below mediocre status with the offensive coordinator search until someone stepped in at the last minute.  That same someone has to step in for this upcoming draft (on offense) and the remaining offseason.  The Ravens are in a tricky position right now; they can propel to the elite class or remain in the dimension of mediocrity.

#2 Dub

Dub

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:45 AM

I think you need to do some bargain shopping. There is a salary cap and the Ravens spend to the top of it nearly every year. I think more of Ozzie's bargains have worked then those who haven't. Such as Graham, Pollard, Ihedibo, Cary Williams, McKinnie for a year, etc.

#3 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

I think a lot of fans see building a team as being like a video game or something. You pick all the best players for every position and voila! you have a great team. Reality is not like that. You need a mixture of stars and supporting personnel, youthful fire and veteran experience, some high priced sure things, some compromises to fit the budget. The title General Manager implies the individual is in charge of running a business, and there are contract and chemistry considerations that can take precedence over gaudy stats. I know there are people who call these considerations "excuses," and anyone who recognizes this reality as ignorant and accepting mediocrity, and that is a fan's prerogative. In real life these things do come into play, and there are many teams who admire the Ravens' management and history of success.

#4 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,730 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:29 AM

As opposed to two of our main resident apologists, I agree with the OP.

(As far as the false flag of "cap issues", Blount was NOT a high priced RB, and the Ravens lost TWO ways by not signing him. 1. They lost a change of pace back with POWER. 2. They allowed an division rival to land a powerful running back.)

#5 RavingManiac

RavingManiac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:39 AM

(As far as the false flag of "cap issues", Blount was NOT a high priced RB, and the Ravens lost TWO ways by not signing him. 1. They lost a change of pace back with POWER. 2. They allowed an division rival to land a powerful running back.)

Why didn't the Ravens sign Blount then?

#6 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:38 AM

Again, it depends on your perspective. I would guess they had their reasons. I imagine OCF would say they're incompetent or prefer mediocrity.

#7 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:46 AM

You know, I believe this is the third time this year you've agreed with "that hack" Preston; you're slipping. :)

#8 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,730 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:33 PM

You know, I believe this is the third time this year you've agreed with "that hack" Preston; you're slipping. :)

Two or three....yeah. What's up with THAT?!!!

(My reputation...is in the crapper!!)

;)

#9 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,730 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:33 PM

Obviously...they had their reasons. But just as obviously...anyone who thinks that EVERYTHING they do always pans out is just wrong.

#10 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,183 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:41 PM

Again, it depends on your perspective. I would guess they had their reasons. I imagine OCF would say they're incompetent or prefer mediocrity.

He's special

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#11 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,730 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:28 PM

He's special

It just never stops with you, does it? How totally sad.

#12 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:20 PM

Obviously...they had their reasons. But just as obviously...anyone who thinks that EVERYTHING they do always pans out is just wrong.

I'm not sure if you're referring to me, but I have never said everything they do pans out, obviously it doesn't. I am saying they may have reasons for making the decisions they do that are not incompetence or being satisfied with mediocrity. Some decisions are made because they must be, others are made that just don't work out. There are human beings involved and other teams trying to get the same people and so on. My point is that this is not a video game where you get to make your decisions in a vacuum. 

#13 mcorioles

mcorioles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:18 PM

I'll wait and see how it pans out. I don't doubt Ozzie and the Ravens have been a top franchise for years.

#14 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,183 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:35 PM

I'll wait and see how it pans out. I don't doubt Ozzie and the Ravens have been a top franchise for years.

Ozzie clearly gets it right more often than he gets it wrong.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#15 mcorioles

mcorioles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:48 PM

Ozzie clearly gets it right more often than he gets it wrong.

Indeed

#16 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,097 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:03 PM

With Ray Rice likely facing a suspension signing a rock head with issues like Blount would not be a good idea.

while not as flashy, the Ravens are making much better decisions than Denver or those cheaters in NE.

Little genius bill should sign or draft a cameraman if they want to break out of their mediocrity. Denver should ditch that geriatric choke job of a qb if they want to breakout of their mediocrity.

#17 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,097 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:06 PM

Why didn't the Pats?

#18 RavingManiac

RavingManiac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:20 PM

The Pats probably had several reasons they didn't sign him but I don't know what they are so the Pats are stupid and inept.

#19 RavingManiac

RavingManiac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

With Ray Rice likely facing a suspension signing a rock head with issues like Blount would not be a good idea.

while not as flashy, the Ravens are making much better decisions than Denver or those cheaters in NE.

Little genius bill should sign or draft a cameraman if they want to break out of their mediocrity. Denver should ditch that geriatric choke job of a qb if they want to breakout of their mediocrity.

I can't blame Manning for that loss. You could argue very convincingly that the Seahawks had the best defense of all time when you consider all of the rule changes over the last 10 years. Plus, why do you want to diss Manning here? He is a class act guy. He will win it this year.

#20 mcorioles

mcorioles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:01 PM

I can't blame Manning for that loss. You could argue very convincingly that the Seahawks had the best defense of all time when you consider all of the rule changes over the last 10 years. Plus, why do you want to diss Manning here? He is a class act guy. He will win it this year.

The Ravens had a better D when he used to own us in the regular season.Manning just can't get it done in the Playoffs or SB.

The one time he faced the Ravens in the Playoffs he didn't even get in the end zone . He's a different player in the Playoffs, not as good that is.

Edited by mcorioles, 04 April 2014 - 04:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users