• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,546 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:40 AM

I'm wondering why the Ravens didn't pursue him.  He is a straight ahead power back with speed.  That fits right into the Raven's system.  With New England last year he looked good at the end of the season.  Supposedly he solicited the Ravens about wanting to play here, and he signed fairly cheap.  With Pierce seemingly injury prone, and given Rice's declining number last year and possible suspension, Blount seemed like a natural to pursue.  Instead he went to Pittsburgh and when coupled with Leveon Bell could give them their best running game in years.  I don't understand why the Ravens didn't show more interest in him. 

Edited by cprenegade, 02 April 2014 - 10:42 AM.

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

#2 jamesdean

jamesdean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:59 AM

I was thinking the same thing when I heard Pittsburgh signed him.  It really didn't cost them all that much either.  Maybe it would have involved draft picks that Newsome didn't want to relinquish.  Other than that, I don't know why they didn't at least make it interesting.  From what I read, he wanted to come to Baltimore.  Sometimes you never know what's going on behind closed doors, espeically when it's about John Harbaugh and who he wants on his team.  If he's banking on Ray Rice to come back and perform like last year was merely an abberation, he's really rolling the dice. 

#3 Dub

Dub

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

I think Blount would have been a good pick up as well. With the Steelers he is there sure-fire #2 RB. Maybe the Ravens told him he was the 3rd RB. If so, paying a #3 RB over $2mil a year is a lot of money. Most #3 RBs are lucky to make over $1mil a year on average. There will be some solid RBs available in the 3rd and 4th rounds this year, which will get paid half of what Blount would get.

#4 JohnnyUrulz

JohnnyUrulz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

Nice going Ray Rice.  When the Fhuror Goodell hands down your suspension you will have really screwed this team.

#5 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

I'm curious why there's such a widely held opinion that Rice will decline. last year was horrible, but he hasn't been trending downward over a few seasons, right?

I view it as a single, bad year. he's 27, I was expecting him to return to his normal production this fall. am I way off on that?

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#6 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,789 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:37 PM

I'm curious why there's such a widely held opinion that Rice will decline. last year was horrible, but he hasn't been trending downward over a few seasons, right?

I view it as a single, bad year. he's 27, I was expecting him to return to his normal production this fall. am I way off on that?

Last year was a total disaster, but I've seen a decline in his explosiveness the past 2-3 years. And given all the carries he had in college, and the average life of a small NFL running back, it's not unreasonable to project a continued decline in productivity, even if last year was a total aberration.

#7 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,789 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:39 PM

I'm wondering why the Ravens didn't pursue him.  He is a straight ahead power back with speed.  That fits right into the Raven's system.  With New England last year he looked good at the end of the season.  Supposedly he solicited the Ravens about wanting to play here, and he signed fairly cheap.  With Pierce seemingly injury prone, and given Rice's declining number last year and possible suspension, Blount seemed like a natural to pursue.  Instead he went to Pittsburgh and when coupled with Leveon Bell could give them their best running game in years.  I don't understand why the Ravens didn't show more interest in him. 

I agree 100%.

#8 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:24 PM

Last year was a total disaster, but I've seen a decline in his explosiveness the past 2-3 years. And given all the carries he had in college, and the average life of a small NFL running back, it's not unreasonable to project a continued decline in productivity, even if last year was a total aberration.

hmmm...that does shed some more light on his situation.  

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#9 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,789 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:27 PM

hmmm...that does shed some more light on his situation.  

It's just my take. It does have some bearing on how disappointed I was that the Ravens cut Bobby Rainey. I saw him as a possible, inexpensive replacement for Rice. Their styles were similar, but I saw an explosiveness in Rainey that I hadn't seen in Rice for a while. But that's all water under the bridge at this point. (And I'm no scout so it's only my perception.)

#10 Dub

Dub

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:49 PM

Last year was a total disaster, but I've seen a decline in his explosiveness the past 2-3 years.

In 2011 Rice had over 2,000 total yards and avg 4.7ypc. In 2012 he had over 1600 total yards and avg 4.4 ypc. That was just in the regular season. You saw him be less explosive in those 2 years? Those were arguably 2 of his top 3 years in the NFL. Maybe you saw something no one else did, am just curious.

#11 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,789 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:39 PM

In 2011 Rice had over 2,000 total yards and avg 4.7ypc. In 2012 he had over 1600 total yards and avg 4.4 ypc. That was just in the regular season. You saw him be less explosive in those 2 years? Those were arguably 2 of his top 3 years in the NFL. Maybe you saw something no one else did, am just curious.

Maybe.

2012: Yardage down 221 yards from the previous year. AVG down .3. Longest run down 24.

So...2012 + 2013 = 2 years. I said the past 2-3 years. 2 years is within the 2-3 year range.

And 2010 was okay, but not spectacular. So 2011 was actually the odd year out in the past 4 years.

Your point? Or do you just like to argue?

Edited by OriginalColtsFan, 02 April 2014 - 03:45 PM.

#12 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,488 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:38 PM

I saw an O line that sucked last year. Maybe it's a coincidence also last year  that Rice and Flacco both had the worst years of their career....or was it?

Edited by bmore_ken, 02 April 2014 - 04:39 PM.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#13 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,546 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:39 PM

I don't think it is out of the question that Rice could bounce back, but I also don't think it should be expected.  He was used a lot in the seasons leading up to last year.  He has been durable until last year, but once he was injured he looked like a different back.  He is not a big back and the workload he has carried plus his injury could signal a decline.  If you look at backs through the history of the NFL, it is not too common to see a back have a huge dropoff and then return to the form he had before.   His O-line was terrible last year, but he couldn't break a tackle for anything either.  The most likely scenario is an improvement over last year, but far short of what he was two years ago.  And when you factor in his off-season issues and almost certain suspension it just made sense to pursue a back that looked very good when given the chance in New England's multiple back system and who wanted to play for the Ravens.  The odds are in favor that passing on Blount and allowing him to go to a division rival will come back to haunt the Ravens.  They let Pittsburgh have a potentially great 1-2 punch and left themselves with a back that may be suspended for as many as 4 games and another who has had trouble with nagging injuries throughout his career.  Given the money that Blount got it might have made a lot of sense to go after him.  If Pittsburgh with a cap situation worse than the Ravens could sign him, so could the Ravens.  And if the whole thing came down to compensational draft picks, then I just shake my head. 

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

#14 RavingManiac

RavingManiac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:09 AM

Well I wonder about the incompetence of a lot of teams that did not sign him then. I;m sure a lot of teams could have used him for such little money. What about the incompetence of the Patriots first and foremost? Did he set a record there last year for one game  or something? They had this guy and let him go. Unbelievavle! Did they even attempt to sign him? Jets should have signed him too but they are too incompetent to even pick up a phone.

#15 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,789 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:15 AM

Well I wonder about the incompetence of a lot of teams that did not sign him then. I;m sure a lot of teams could have used him for such little money. What about the incompetence of the Patriots first and foremost? Did he set a record there last year for one game  or something? They had this guy and let him go. Unbelievavle! Did they even attempt to sign him? Jets should have signed him too but they are too incompetent to even pick up a phone.

And now we have....

...the irrelevant "other teams" argument.

smh

#16 Dub

Dub

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:06 AM

I saw an O line that sucked last year. Maybe it's a coincidence also last year  that Rice and Flacco both had the worst years of their career....or was it?

I couldn't agree more. I think with a healthy KO and Yanda back, along with an upgrade a C and brinking back Monroe, we are already better. I am hoping that we either get Lewan from Michigan or maybe trade down and get the G/T from Notre Dame ( I think his name is Martin). I think if we get anyone of those 2 guys, we will have one of the better O-lines in the NFL.

I also think we can get a quality big back in the 3rd or 4th round such as Williams from BC or even West from Towson. Both of whom would be much, much less than what Blount got paid by the Steelers.

OCF - I was just giving you facts about Rice's last 2-3 years with you saying him slowing down. No one made the comment he was slowing down during those 2-3 years before last year, especially with the stats he put up. I am not arguing just presenting facts. Then again you have said facts are not important, its the spirit of conversation.

#17 JasonM

JasonM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:14 AM

I agree that Rice is on the decline.  But Blount looked pretty ordinary in the AFC title game against Denver (Brady had more rushing yards than Blount that day), and his only 100-yard games in 2013 were against Buffalo (playing for nothing) and Indy.
http://espn.go.com/n...garrette-blount

#18 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,789 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:30 AM

I couldn't agree more. I think with a healthy KO and Yanda back, along with an upgrade a C and brinking back Monroe, we are already better. I am hoping that we either get Lewan from Michigan or maybe trade down and get the G/T from Notre Dame ( I think his name is Martin). I think if we get anyone of those 2 guys, we will have one of the better O-lines in the NFL.

I also think we can get a quality big back in the 3rd or 4th round such as Williams from BC or even West from Towson. Both of whom would be much, much less than what Blount got paid by the Steelers.

OCF - I was just giving you facts about Rice's last 2-3 years with you saying him slowing down. No one made the comment he was slowing down during those 2-3 years before last year, especially with the stats he put up. I am not arguing just presenting facts. Then again you have said facts are not important, its the spirit of conversation.

And I provided YOU with stats/facts. So again...what is your point?

#19 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,789 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:32 AM

I agree that Rice is on the decline.  But Blount looked pretty ordinary in the AFC title game against Denver (Brady had more rushing yards than Blount that day), and his only 100-yard games in 2013 were against Buffalo (playing for nothing) and Indy.
http://espn.go.com/n...garrette-blount

And ordinary would be a major upgrade compared to last year. Blount shouldn't be graded/judged by 100 yard games; he needs to be graded/judged by picking up the key, tough first downs that have tormented the Ravens for at least 2 years now. (Which is why I wasn't opposed initially to the choice to bring in Castillo. The Ravens failed time and time again to pick up key first downs in short yardage situations in 2012. Unfortunately, Castillo was a total train wreck last year.)

#20 iceman43

iceman43

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:01 AM

I would love for them to resign leach and add michael bush for a power running game, but of course it's just a pipe dream. which will never happen. Remember when we used to wear teams down with Mclain, Mcgahee and rice.While switching between McClain and Lorenzo Neal blocking.

Edited by iceman43, 03 April 2014 - 10:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users