Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Was Nellie Cruz' Misplay in the Field a Sign of Things to Come?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ziptop

ziptop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:23 AM

Yes, you just can't compromise your fielding. Cruz misplayed a single and llowed a run to score when the runner should have been held to second base. McClouth was an excellent fielder and his replacment is said to be as well. And of course Cruz is noted as a poor fielder and a designated hitter. It has been said tht his ply in the field this Spring was better than expected.

Last year the Orioles had one of the very best defenses in the league, maybe the best and they didn't make the playoffs. Do you think that by replacing an excellent fielder with a poor one who strikes out and hits home runs will improve the team? I say no, but we'll have to see won't we?

#2 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,365 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:46 AM

I'm a big proponent of defense, and that play may have been a difference maker in the outcome of the game. but his HR on opening day was definitely a deciding factor in the win. so at this point, I'd say Cruz is even.  

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#3 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:55 AM

Yes, you just can't compromise your fielding. Cruz misplayed a single and llowed a run to score when the runner should have been held to second base. McClouth was an excellent fielder and his replacment is said to be as well. And of course Cruz is noted as a poor fielder and a designated hitter. It has been said tht his ply in the field this Spring was better than expected.

Last year the Orioles had one of the very best defenses in the league, maybe the best and they didn't make the playoffs. Do you think that by replacing an excellent fielder with a poor one who strikes out and hits home runs will improve the team? I say no, but we'll have to see won't we?

On a related note, on the way home yesterday I heard a caller to The Fan (I know, I shouldn't listen to them) whining about how somebody else needed to play 3B until Manny gets back because Flaherty is so bad.  He contended that his error cost us the 6-2 second game.  One of the hosts replied with something like: I thought the ball Napoli crushed to CF cost us the game. 

I hope we all agree that Flaherty is a solid defensive player and that that bad play was an aberration. 

Anyway, point being, one play in one game is not necessarily how it will be for the season.  We'll have to see if Cruz's occasional (we hope) defensive lapses hurt more than his expected good offense helps.

#4 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,201 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:05 AM

If he hits to his averages, I'll take a few errors. To keep it real how often does a misplay in LF mean the difference in a  game? I'd guess a lot less than a HR

Edited by bmore_ken, 04 April 2014 - 09:36 AM.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#5 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,365 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:17 AM

If he hits to his avetage, I'll take a few errors. To keep it real how often does a misplay in LF mean the difference in a  game? I'd guess a lot less than a HR

I always chuckle when fans get super psyched or bummed after the first series of the season. I'm not saying that's what Ziptop is doing, but it reminded me that I've already heard comments like, "Seattle is going to take the division". Jim Bowden proclaimed them as the team to beat in the AL west. his pre-season prediction was that the Angels will win the division. it only took him 3 games to flip-flop and jump ship. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#6 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,344 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:48 AM

Forget Cruz - Cruz may not be Cruz without the drugs.  Far more importantly, did you notice that MVP Weiters is hitting .455?

#7 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,201 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:02 AM

I always chuckle when fans get super psyched or bummed after the first series of the season. I'm not saying that's what Ziptop is doing, but it reminded me that I've already heard comments like, "Seattle is going to take the division". Jim Bowden proclaimed them as the team to beat in the AL west. his pre-season prediction was that the Angels will win the division. it only took him 3 games to flip-flop and jump ship. 

Just imagine if they're right though. Cruz has 2 HR in 3 games, if he keeps up that pace WS baby :D

#8 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,365 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:06 AM

Just imagine if they're right though. Cruz has 2 HR in 3 games, if he keeps up that pace WS baby :D

on pace for 108 dingers   :P

Edited by weird-O, 04 April 2014 - 11:08 AM.

#9 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,968 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:56 AM

Jones' poor throw to the plate also cost a run - the winning run as it worked out. When the team is not cashing in on opportunities offensively, defensive lapses that are otherwise no big deal get important. It is worth a try to play Cruz in left, and if he does stink up the joint they can go another direction (is Lough hurt by the way?). I understand that LF is a new spot for Cruz, so that might be a factor as well.

#10 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,365 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:41 PM

the reports are that Lough has limited offensive skills, so Buck is only using him in situations that can maximize his abilities. 

#11 ziptop

ziptop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:54 PM

Yes we can agree that Flaherty is a good defensive player. We can also agree that Cruz is a bad defensive player.

Apart from the question whether or not Cruz's poor defense jeopardizes the Orioles is the question whether his home runs will outweigh his strikeouts.

#12 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,201 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:46 PM

Yes we can agree that Flaherty is a good defensive player. We can also agree that Cruz is a bad defensive player.

Apart from the question whether or not Cruz's poor defense jeopardizes the Orioles is the question whether his home runs will outweigh his strikeouts.

His K's peaked at 140 2 years ago. Chris Davis had 199 last season and Jones had 136. You'll always have your share of K's with a power hitter. If he hits between 25 and 30 homers, no biggie

#13 NCBirdfan

NCBirdfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,624 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:07 PM

I think we fans should just pack it up. The season's over. There's no way this team will ever win another game.

-----------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#14 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,365 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

I think we fans should just pack it up. The season's over. There's no way this team will ever win another game.

I did that the very instant that they dropped below .500 for the season.  :angry:

#15 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,201 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

You guys are a riot :D

#16 SNAFU

SNAFU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,289 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:29 PM

I'm a big proponent of defense, and that play may have been a difference maker in the outcome of the game. but his HR on opening day was definitely a deciding factor in the win. so at this point, I'd say Cruz is even.  

I'm sure he can hit HR's as a DH. Hey, we went out and got us a bonafide DH and now Buck wants him to play the outfield. Doesn't make any sense to me. It's starting to look like the Mark Reynolds experiment all over again. Only Buck. Might as well call him Teflon Buck.

I don't have an 'ignore' list. I don't need no stinkin' list to remind me who I've ignored! I ignore the old-fashioned way.

#17 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,365 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:36 PM

I'm sure he can hit HR's as a DH. Hey, we went out and got us a bonafide DH and now Buck wants him to play the outfield. Doesn't make any sense to me. It's starting to look like the Mark Reynolds experiment all over again. Only Buck. Might as well call him Teflon Buck.

the line up is always a fluid, changing creature with Buck. I think with Manny starting the season on the DL, and all the shifting that caused, Buck is probably trying to maximize the offensive potential. hence, Lough sits so that Young can get ABs.  

#18 NCBirdfan

NCBirdfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,624 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:15 PM

You guys are a riot :D

Who's laughing now? :D 0-3 since I posted that...on their way to 1-161!  :o It's a good thing I signed up for the Indoor Curling Ticket (non-stop curling competition 7 days a week!). At least they know how to sweep a team. This team is done. Kaput! No way the Orioles can win another game this year! You can bank on it!

-----------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#19 Morgan208

Morgan208

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:23 AM

So far, what has cost us games is the starting pitching.

#20 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,201 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:26 AM

So far, what has cost us games is the starting pitching.

Yep and we can base the whole potential of the season on each pitcher's first start  <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users