4 replies to this topic

#1 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:09 AM

While I agreed that the Orioles shouldn't have moved their game to accommodate the NFL last September (the Ravens & Broncos could have played Wednesday night), wasn't the reasoning that the CBA would not allow them to move the game to 1pm?  The Orioles and White Sox had played night games in different cities the night before, and therefore, they couldn't schedule a day game in Baltimore.

And now, the Orioles played a night game in Baltimore last night, and are playing a day game in Detroit today.  Why is this even scheduled as a day game?

#2 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,960 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:45 AM

if I remember correctly, the O's didn't reschedule because of the demands it would have put on the players. I remember hearing comments about the demands it would put on the players, considering it would be deep into their season and they were expecting to be in a playoff hunt. but I don't remember hearing anything about CBA guidelines regarding day games following night games in different cities. I think it was just the O's decision to make, and they didn't want to do it. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#3 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:09 AM

I found this in the Basic Agreement (page 7):

Getaway games shall not be scheduled or rescheduled to start
later than 5 P.M. if either Club is required to travel for a day game,
scheduled the next day, between cities in which the in-flight time is
more than 11/2 hours.

http://mlb.mlb.com/p...cba_english.pdf

Is the flight to Detroit less than 1 1/2 hours?  I think it's right around 1:30-1:45.

Edited by Thirteen, 04 April 2014 - 11:11 AM.

#4 Tootsie

Tootsie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:47 PM

I found this in the Basic Agreement (page 7):

http://mlb.mlb.com/p...cba_english.pdf

Is the flight to Detroit less than 1 1/2 hours?  I think it's right around 1:30-1:45.

This says 1:04. Seems a little quick to me.

http://www.travelmat...o/Baltimore, MD

#5 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,672 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:58 PM

The Orioles were in Cleveland the night before, and the White Sox were in New York.  Cleveland is closer to Baltimore than Detroit for what that's worth.  CLE to BWI is about 1:10 non-stop.  Both flight routes were WELL under 1.5 hours.  BWI to DET can be estimated at 1:30 non-stop.  Fly a little faster and you can push it under 1:30.  :)

Truth is... the Orioles simply wanted no part of moving their game time to accomodate the Ravens.  Despite the fact that they would have likely drawn twice the "17,000 tickets sold" for the game they eventually played Thursday night... had they seen fit to make it part of some sort of Baltimore Sports festival day, and cross-promoted with the Ravens.  Offer discounted concessions or something to anyone with Ravens garb or a Ravens ticket. Have some Ravens players throw out the first pitch. Maybe bring back some '83 Orioles too. Market! And the NFL COULD have very easily played the game Wednesday night... with no ratings impact... and likely would have found a way to accomodate a "marquee" franchise if say... the Cowboys were opening as defending champs the same day the Rangers had a home game.  The fault lies everywhere with that one...

The Cardinals hosted a WS game AT THE SAME TIME that the Rams played a MNF game last year... and those two stadiums sit about 1/3 of a mile farther apart than the Orioles and Ravens stadiums.  In a crowded downtown setting.  Next time you're on I-95 look three 1/10th-of-a-mile markers ahead... and that's how much farther apart the St. Louis stadiums are than the Baltimore stadiums.  Virtually insignificant, right?  If the Orioles had wanted to be flexible, they could have moved the game up and there would have been about a 1% chance of a parking lot nightmare that evening if the game ran VERY long.  A chance most Baltimore fans would have gladly taken...  If the NFL wanted to be flexible, the game could have also been played Wednesday.  And Bisciotti could have fought the issue more... but instead agreed to other "favorable schedule concessions" to make up for it. 

Edited by Ravens2006, 05 April 2014 - 10:12 PM.

"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users