• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:50 AM

An article in SI yesterday claimed Chris Johnson is on the verge of signing a one year contract with the Jets for around $3M but he's still open to other offers.  With Ray Rice having a cap # of 4.8M, does it make sense to release Ray and add Johnson instead.  After last season, it would appear Rice has an uphill battle ahead of him.  And, with his recent shenanigans in Atlantic City, he would be hard pressed to find a contract elsewhere that amounts to much more than the veteran minimum. 

Is Chris Johnson and another 1.8M in cap space preferable to Rice?  Regardless, should Ozzie seize the advantages provided by Ray's performance decline and conduct difficulties to insist on contract renegotiation?  I am unclear on Rice's guaranteed money and outyear cap consideration but would you rather have Johnson or Rice?

#2 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,034 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

An article in SI yesterday claimed Chris Johnson is on the verge of signing a one year contract with the Jets for around $3M but he's still open to other offers.  With Ray Rice having a cap # of 4.8M, does it make sense to release Ray and add Johnson instead.  After last season, it would appear Rice has an uphill battle ahead of him.  And, with his recent shenanigans in Atlantic City, he would be hard pressed to find a contract elsewhere that amounts to much more than the veteran minimum. 

Is Chris Johnson and another 1.8M in cap space preferable to Rice?  Regardless, should Ozzie seize the advantages provided by Ray's performance decline and conduct difficulties to insist on contract renegotiation?  I am unclear on Rice's guaranteed money and outyear cap consideration but would you rather have Johnson or Rice?

If I understand the cap situation correctly, it's not simply a matter of cutting Rice and saving 1.8M by signing Johnson. I think Rice's dead money adds up to millions, so you don't recoup 4.8M at all by cutting Rice. If that were the case I think Rice would have already been long gone.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan, 06 April 2014 - 01:01 PM.

#3 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,352 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:39 PM

If I understand the cap situation correctly, it's not simply a matter of cutting Rice and saving 1.8M by signing Johnson. I think Rice's dead money adds up to millions, so you don't recoup 4.8M at all by cutting Rice. If that were the case I think Rice would have already been long gone.

Yep $5.5M in dead money, you're correct there's no savings in cutting Rice

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#4 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,034 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

Yep $5.5M in dead money, you're correct there's no savings in cutting Rice

Thanks for the correct info. (I think, IIRC, I'd read one of your earlier posts in which you laid it out, but I couldn't remember for sure.)

#5 Berto

Berto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:53 PM

I was following this with hopes Ozzie could surprise us all but I know it wouldn't happen. Johnson>>>>>Rice. CJ2K is a workhorse that doesn't get that label and also doesn't get the credit he deserves in other areas. I would love him as a Raven....BTW I'm still pissed about the cutting of Bobby Rainey>>>>>Justin Forsett smh. I remember when I was on here a few years back hoping we landed Lynch when no team wanted him and everyone calling him washed up...I still cant get that play out of my head when he ran all over us and broke RayRays ankles. I have CJ2K playing at a very high level for a few more years while Rice I hate to say will have probably a few more mediocre years followed by a release. History shows RBs tend to slow down not pick up after down years, I hope Rice can bounce back like a Cory Dillion or a Egdrin James but the way he looked last year was pitiful and people should stop blaming it totally on the oline and the injury there was some plays that left fans like wtf was that?  

#6 Berto

Berto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:56 PM

In no way am I saying he sucks or that we should cut him (Rice). Im behind him all the way but from a team first perspective CJ2K would be a nice addition.

#7 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

Though I appreciate the relevance of the dead money, it's still dead even if Rice flops again in 2014.  Do you keep a guy who can't gain two yards because he's got you in a bind?  What do you do with little runners when they no longer can break tackles?  Do you keep them under contract and allocate a roster spot? 

With Rice's recent behavior and performance, would you at least exert some pressure toward a contract renegotiation?  And regardless, who starts at RB for the games when Rice is either suspended or incarcerated?

IMO, Johnson is an opportunity worth exploring, and Rice is a contract in need of correction.

#8 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,034 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:39 PM

Though I appreciate the relevance of the dead money, it's still dead even if Rice flops again in 2014.  Do you keep a guy who can't gain two yards because he's got you in a bind?  What do you do with little runners when they no longer can break tackles?  Do you keep them under contract and allocate a roster spot? 

With Rice's recent behavior and performance, would you at least exert some pressure toward a contract renegotiation?  And regardless, who starts at RB for the games when Rice is either suspended or incarcerated?

IMO, Johnson is an opportunity worth exploring, and Rice is a contract in need of correction.

All of your points OTHER THAN the financial picture you painted are worthy. I was just responding to the cap issue.

#9 Berto

Berto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:39 PM

Though I appreciate the relevance of the dead money, it's still dead even if Rice flops again in 2014. Do you keep a guy who can't gain two yards because he's got you in a bind? What do you do with little runners when they no longer can break tackles? Do you keep them under contract and allocate a roster spot?

With Rice's recent behavior and performance, would you at least exert some pressure toward a contract renegotiation? And regardless, who starts at RB for the games when Rice is either suspended or incarcerated?

If everyone thought Blount was a good signing Johnson is far more superior. I just did some research on the topic n it turns out it's not even official until tomorrow so he won't be signing until then. Either way u know there's discussions going on. Not sure about our cap but does anyone know if we could even afford him?

#10 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,352 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:50 PM

If everyone thought Blount was a good signing Johnson is far more superior. I just did some research on the topic n it turns out it's not even official until tomorrow so he won't be signing until then. Either way u know there's discussions going on. Not sure about our cap but does anyone know if we could even afford him?

We have about $6M in cap space so we have the money

#11 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:41 PM

I think it'd be a lot cheaper and a much longer term solution to just draft a back with upside. I'll pass on the 28 year old lean - framed runner with 6 years of wear and tear on his legs.

Edited by Slidemaster, 11 April 2014 - 03:42 PM.

The kids are alright.

#12 Berto

Berto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

I think it'd be a lot cheaper and a much longer term solution to just draft a back with upside. I'll pass on the 28 year old lean - framed runner with 6 years of wear and tear on his legs.

Ur probably right in the sense that we could draft one of those nice rbs in the draft, but that would require drafting one in the 2nd 3rd round. N lets not kid ourselves rookie rbs have a learning curve just like any other position. CJ is a dynamic player and isn't that old. Whatever the case IMO we should use those early picks on wr,ol,s not in that order.

#13 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,921 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:10 PM

I think Johnson would have had enormous upside potential, but was a risk. He is a proven good back. He has struggled the past two years, but Tennessee has lacked any weapons in the passing game so that Johnson was keyed on. The addition of Johnson to the Ravens given what potential they have in the passing game would have been a big plus. Johnson is a guy that opposing DC's have to game plan for. There is also the concern about his knee surgery. He seems like a bust or jackpot potential. But there is no sense in worrying about it now. He signed with the Jets yesterday for 3m.
You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

#14 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,352 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:14 AM

The Jets are a good fit for him. He can take some pressure off of Geno if Vick doesn't take his spot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users