• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Saticon3

Saticon3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,644 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:24 PM

This has probably all been said before but.......
I recently moved from Pasadena, MD to Jacksonville, FL and have been struck by such things as the local concern of the Jags struggling to fill the stadium and avoid blackouts-- the jag's owner writes a check to the NFL for every unsold non-premium seat to avoid them currently- and have remodeled the stadium to create LESS seats but more premium ones or at least different type ones that they can call premium.

Its just a big culture shock to me to hear about worrying about filling the stadium on game days after being a Ravens PSL holder since the Ravens came to be and been a part of Ravens fever since day one.

Yet, the folks out and about all talk up the team  even in the off-season there is buzz all around about the Jags,  I usually wear Ravens shirts and there is never an outing that I don't draw comments, friendly rivalry type-- and the town seems actually more sports-nuts than Baltimore overall, maybe its just they're so much into the colleges the NFL takes a back seat.

Edited by Saticon3, 07 April 2014 - 04:27 PM.

#2 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,593 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:17 PM

What do tickets cost there? I have to say if Baltimore was near the ocean I'd probably go to a lot less Ravens games

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#3 Saticon3

Saticon3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,644 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

not sure, ken, but recalling one of the articles in the local paper here, ticket prices are among the lowest in the league. they are creating "innovative" seating that cost more but offer - such as - bar rail seats, pool cabana seats, among some other wrinkles- and one area that will not actually be club seats, but those ticket holders will have access to club area amenities. all these are geared to single game sales as well, there is no wait list for season tix, they haven't sold a lot of them either.

#4 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,593 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:21 PM

In that case I don't get it. I'd be at every Ravens home game if good seats were affordable. You have to hunt for a decent priced Ravens ticket if you're not a PSL owner. And as much I love the Ravens, even if there weren't a waitlist for PSLs I still couldn't put out that kind of money with two kids still in the house. 

#5 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:11 PM

This has probably all been said before but.......
I recently moved from Pasadena, MD to Jacksonville, FL and have been struck by such things as the local concern of the Jags struggling to fill the stadium and avoid blackouts-- the jag's owner writes a check to the NFL for every unsold non-premium seat to avoid them currently- and have remodeled the stadium to create LESS seats but more premium ones or at least different type ones that they can call premium.
Its just a big culture shock to me to hear about worrying about filling the stadium on game days after being a Ravens PSL holder since the Ravens came to be and been a part of Ravens fever since day one.

Yet, the folks out and about all talk up the team even in the off-season there is buzz all around about the Jags, I usually wear Ravens shirts and there is never an outing that I don't draw comments, friendly rivalry type-- and the town seems actually more sports-nuts than Baltimore overall, maybe its just they're so much into the colleges the NFL takes a back seat.

Let me know when Jags fans quit on the team so much they leave town like the Colts.

Ravens are one Ozzie Newsome away from a half empty stadium...don't kid yourself..look at Camden Yards the last 15 years. Baltimore fans are as fair weather as it gets.

Guess you were blacked our drunk and don't remember all the empty seats at Memorial Stadium in 1996 and 1997.

Edited by Brohan, 07 April 2014 - 07:13 PM.

#6 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,593 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:22 PM

...don't kid yourself..look at Camden Yards the last 15 years. Baltimore fans are as fair weather as it gets.

Orioles attendence was 2.3M last season. The best season since 2005. Guess why?

#7 Marchetti

Marchetti

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

Let me know when Jags fans quit on the team so much they leave town like the Colts.

baltimore fans didn't quit on the colts, they boycotted and rejected the owner who tortured the fans for over a decade.

Unitas was so outraged that he cut all ties to the relocated team. Other prominent old-time Colts followed his lead. After the NFL returned to Baltimore as the Ravens for the 1996 season, Unitas and most of the other old-time Colts regarded THE RAVENS as the TRUE SUCCESSORS of the Baltimore Colts.

"I'll show you how to field a respected, competetive baseball team
if you show me how to be a more effective dictator
!"
--Fidel Castro to Peter Angelos

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

:cool:

i don't get it.

#8 Saticon3

Saticon3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,644 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:41 PM

Guess you were blacked our drunk and don't remember all the empty seats at Memorial Stadium in 1996 and 1997.

I don't, but I don't drink. Maybe my memory just fails me or perhaps I was just taken in by my first live NFL experiences, but my recollection is that Memorial Stadium was full or very nearly full for the two years The Ravens played there-- granted , it was mostly full of Steeler fans  when the Steelers played in town, but full it was, I certainly don't recall any TV blackouts-- of course the 12 year absence of the NFL would factore in to that as well.

#9 Saticon3

Saticon3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,644 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:44 PM

Ravens are one Ozzie Newsome away from a half empty stadium...don't kid yourself..look at Camden Yards the last 15 years. Baltimore fans are as fair weather as it gets.

Perhaps you were too drunk to remember the crowds, all Memorial Stadium Ravens games were sellouts:

http://www.baltimore...ll-history.html

"The Ravens concluded their inaugural season with a 4-12 record following a 24-21 loss to the Houston Oilers. The Ravens were 4-4 at home, but 0-8 on the road. The team sold out all 10 home games, including the 2 preseason games."

"Baltimore defeats Tennessee, 21-19, in the final game at Memorial Stadium. 13 of the 16 regular season games played by the Ravens at Memorial Stadium were televised and all were sold out."

Edited by Saticon3, 07 April 2014 - 09:48 PM.

#10 HAIL2BNG

HAIL2BNG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,003 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:05 AM

baltimore fans didn't quit on the colts, they boycotted and rejected the owner who tortured the fans for over a decade.

HA HA HA HA, and you same people will try to mock Redskins fans who leave early. The excuses and hypocrisy are astounding.

Jacksonville is a college sports town. Its also a transient city so most people already have a team. It was a bad choice and it would make sense if they left.

Its no surprise that the SSA is a mess when they hire economists with pea brains.

#11 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,478 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:01 AM

Jacksonville is a college sports town. Its also a transient city so most people already have a team. It was a bad choice and it would make sense if they left.

maybe I'm an exception to the norm. but I just like going to live sporting events. if I lived in the Jax area, Id go to a couple of games a year, even if it was just to see the opposing team.

honestly though, this is just a poorly run organization. the NFL seems to be designed to give floundering teams a chance to turn it around quickly. they're just lost. that city implored the team to sign Tebow. he wouldn't have made much of a difference in the teams W-L record, but he would have been a draw that people seemed to really want. that alone seems worth the money to bring him in.   

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#12 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:23 AM

All of the above points (to which the thread title refers) to the very bad decision by the NFL to grant Jacksonville the franchise instead of Baltimore. You know, it has worked out OK for us, but the years lost in the wilderness seeking a team I will always believe were the result of Tagliabue being tight with Jack Kent Cooke who didn't want another team so close to the Redskins. The remark about the museum just underlined the contempt that Tags had for Baltimore's market. Any problems the NFL suffers as a result of that bonehead decision are richly deserved.

#13 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,593 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:36 AM

Perhaps you were too drunk to remember the crowds, all Memorial Stadium Ravens games were sellouts:

http://www.baltimore...ll-history.html

"The Ravens concluded their inaugural season with a 4-12 record following a 24-21 loss to the Houston Oilers. The Ravens were 4-4 at home, but 0-8 on the road. The team sold out all 10 home games, including the 2 preseason games."

"Baltimore defeats Tennessee, 21-19, in the final game at Memorial Stadium. 13 of the 16 regular season games played by the Ravens at Memorial Stadium were televised and all were sold out."

I believe he's talking about the Colt's final seasons in Baltimore

#14 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,593 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:37 AM

All of the above points (to which the thread title refers) to the very bad decision by the NFL to grant Jacksonville the franchise instead of Baltimore. You know, it has worked out OK for us, but the years lost in the wilderness seeking a team I will always believe were the result of Tagliabue being tight with Jack Kent Cooke who didn't want another team so close to the Redskins. The remark about the museum just underlined the contempt that Tags had for Baltimore's market. Any problems the NFL suffers as a result of that bonehead decision are richly deserved.

I always say if we were awarded the franchise instead of Jacksonville we wouldn't have gotten Ozzie, so I'll take it

#15 Saticon3

Saticon3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,644 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:42 PM

I believe he's talking about the Colt's final seasons in Baltimore

I might have thought that, Ken, but he specified 1996 and 1997, which were The Ravens years at Memorial Stadium.:

"Guess you were blacked our drunk and don't remember all the empty seats at Memorial Stadium in 1996 and 1997."

#16 Saticon3

Saticon3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,644 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:43 PM

I always say if we were awarded the franchise instead of Jacksonville we wouldn't have gotten Ozzie, so I'll take it

Agree with that!

#17 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,593 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:43 PM

I might have thought that, Ken, but he specified 1996 and 1997, which were The Ravens years at Memorial Stadium.:

"Guess you were blacked our drunk and don't remember all the empty seats at Memorial Stadium in 1996 and 1997."

He must have his years confused maybe?

#18 HAIL2BNG

HAIL2BNG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,003 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:34 PM

Excellent point.

Its no surprise that the SSA is a mess when they hire economists with pea brains.

#19 RIKMAN

RIKMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,870 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:56 PM

Agree. The fact we have a franchise here despite Tags, along with one of the better front offices that always has the team in the hunt...is the karma I mentioned in another post that sticks it to the no fun league every year!

Go Ravens
Baltimore Sports fan since 1965!:cool:

Confusing the delusional with fact since 2005!

#20 Nightman

Nightman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:52 PM

Every Ravens fan wears Hail2Bng's scorn like a badge of honor.  Talk about hypocrisy, what stadium did they take out sections and seats to avoid games getting blacked out?

FedEx Field where some seats were ripped out and some were converted into standing room sections.  I could say the same about Washington's baseball history, there weren't many people at the last Senators games at RFK, they hated Bob Short, like the Colts fans dislike Irsay.  Except down there a former Redskins owner was partially to blame for them not getting a team sooner. Edward Bennett Williams bought the O's and the local metropolitan area was brainwashed on them, unlike Baltimore where there were few converts to the Skins.

I live down in enemy territory in Rockville and for the last two years all the Ravens games on Fox and CBS have all been shown on local TV. Wasn't like that in the early days. The DC radio affiliate is on a better signaled FM station that their owners AM 980 and the two peashooter FM relays.  Snyder tried to trade his signals and cash to buy WAVA, a Christian talk station and was rejected.  Back when he was trying to sell Caps road trips to Philly by putting flyers underneath all the windshields in the Captial Centre parking with no takers, Steve Bisciotti was making $1 million from a business started in his garage which became Aertotek.  He's aggressively marketing the team down here, ripping up the Gentlemen's agreement the Modell had with the DC football team.

Edited by Nightman, 08 April 2014 - 10:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users