• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 West Chester Raven

West Chester Raven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:18 PM

I'm just thinking about our team and we really don't have any bona-fide stars. Perennial pro-Bowl types that are nationally recognized as the best at their position. 

We have solid players at many positions, but the cupboard is a bit bare when it comes to true Stars. Maybe it won't matter, but maybe we're becoming a bit thin. 

Who is carrying the team on either side of the ball any more? Do we have any anchors left? 

#2 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,539 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:26 PM

Playmakers, especially on offense, have always been an endangered species on the Ravens. And as the D aged, they weren't immune either.

#3 West Chester Raven

West Chester Raven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:26 AM

Playmakers, especially on offense, have always been an endangered species on the Ravens. And as the D aged, they weren't immune either.

Yep. I am sure the Marketing/PR people over at The Castle are wondering who the "flagship" players are that they can sell in the public and to the public. 

#4 raven1959

raven1959

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:58 AM

Suggs, Ngata.  Tucker coming on

#5 RavingManiac

RavingManiac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:03 AM

This is exactly why I am not on board with everyone else on hear thinking our offense is going to tear it up this upcoming year. People on here are so excited we got Steve Smith and Owen Daniels. I just don't see these two guys as difference makers that will propel us to an 11-5 season or so. I am predicting a 9-7 upcoming season as of now. We really need to hit it big in the draft to get us to the playoffs. Ngata, Ray Rice and Flacco are getting paid like true stars but are not performing as such. 

#6 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

You can dispute the word "elite" if you want, but Joe Flacco is undoubtedly a star on the Ravens. I admit he is not a showy, high-profile, look-at-me guy who normally shoulders the mantle of "star," but this is more reason why he is a star for Baltimore, which is characterized as kind of a blue-collar, no-nonsense town, who's stars have included people like Cal Ripken, Johnny Unitas, Eddie Murray, Juan Dixon, Lenny Moore, Brooks Robinson - not flashy guys personally but all with championships on their resumes. (I don't leave Ray Lewis and Ed Reed out because they weren't stars, but because they were flashy high-profile guys.) I would bet of active players' jerseys worn around town, #5 is most prominent. Probably closely followed by Torrey Smith's, who is clearly also a star. Ray Rice obviously is a fallen star.

#7 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,593 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

I'm just thinking about our team and we really don't have any bona-fide stars. Perennial pro-Bowl types that are nationally recognized as the best at their position. 

We have solid players at many positions, but the cupboard is a bit bare when it comes to true Stars. Maybe it won't matter, but maybe we're becoming a bit thin. 

Who is carrying the team on either side of the ball any more? Do we have any anchors left? 

You don't need stars to win games

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#8 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,593 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:42 PM

We really need to hit it big in the draft to get us to the playoffs.

You do realize we only missed the playoffs by one game right?

#9 West Chester Raven

West Chester Raven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

You don't need stars to win games

Yes, you do.

#10 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,539 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:49 PM

Yes, you do.

^ This. Anyone who doesn't recognize that reality truly does not understand the game of football. And while you don't need a team full of Pro Bowlers, you definitely DO need a few outstanding playmakers. And that's what the Ravens are lacking, unless or until some players step up and show that they are capable of actually taking over games. It happened, somewhat, in 2012. That's a fact. And it needs to happen again if the Ravens are going to be contenders, vs pretenders. All this crap about missing the playoffs by one game is just that -- crap. The Ravens missed the 2013 season by a country mile. They were only close because the league is so watered down.

#11 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,593 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

Yes, you do.

No you don't. Who are the stars on the Seahawks? And don't say Russell Wilson because statistically he's no more a star than Flacco

#12 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,539 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:55 PM

No you don't. Who are the stars on the Seahawks? And don't say Russell Wilson because statistically he's no more a star than Flacco

This is classic! The Seahawks have SO MANY PLAYMAKERS on defense THAT THE WHOLE TEAM DESERVED the MVP of the Superbowl. Dude...honestly...sometimes, the very things you say show just how little you really know about the subject matter at hand. The problem with Seattle isn't lack of playmakers; it's not being able to keep the whole team together BECAUSE they have so many playmakers! And they're all going to want to be paid. Good lord, man. What goes on inside that brain of yours?

#13 gordon89

gordon89

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:28 PM

"We really need to hit it big in the draft to get us to the playoffs." 

yeah, to the playoffs in 2017.

#14 gordon89

gordon89

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:34 PM

You do realize we only missed the playoffs by one game right?

irrelevant.

#15 gordon89

gordon89

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:00 PM

stars and playmakers. not always mutually inclusive, e.g. corey graham is not a star but is certainly a playmaker. ray lewis/ed reed 2012 were stars but not much as playmakers. i'll take a playmaker any day; i'll only take a star if he's a playmaker.

"while you don't need a team full of Pro Bowlers, you definitely DO need a few outstanding playmakers."

wasn't this the distinction bmore_ken was trying to make?

#16 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,539 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:15 PM

stars and playmakers. not always mutually inclusive, e.g. corey graham is not a star but is certainly a playmaker. ray lewis/ed reed 2012 were stars but not much as playmakers. i'll take a playmaker any day; i'll only take a star if he's a playmaker.

wasn't this the distinction bmore_ken was trying to make?

Corey Graham? COREY effin GRAHAM?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by OriginalColtsFan, 08 April 2014 - 11:56 PM.

#17 gordon89

gordon89

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:32 PM

Graham is NOT a playmaker. At least not the way I'm using it. ED REED was a playmaker IN HIS DAY. RAY LEWIS was a playmaker IN HIS DAY. Jamal Lewis was a PLAYMAKER. At certain times in his career, Todd Heap was a playmaker. So I think your use of Graham vs Reed and Lewis is way off.

And no...that's not the way I was reading Ken at all.

graham IS a playmaker. at least the way i'm using it. and many observers of his play in the 2012 divisional playoffs, the super bowl, and throughout his time with the ravens would agree. moreover, i wasn't comparing graham to lewis/reed. so, i think you're way off in your criticism.

#18 gordon89

gordon89

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:36 PM

This is classic! The Seahawks have SO MANY PLAYMAKERS on defense THAT THE WHOLE TEAM DESERVED the MVP of the Superbowl. Dude...honestly...sometimes, the very things you say show just how little you really know about the subject matter at hand. The problem with Seattle isn't lack of playmakers; it's not being able to keep the whole team together BECAUSE they have so many playmakers! And they're all going to want to be paid. Good lord, man. What goes on inside that brain of yours?

"The Seahawks have SO MANY PLAYMAKERS...THE WHOLE TEAM DESERVED the MVP of the Superbowl." again, wasn't this the point bmore_ken was trying to make? stars not needed but playmakers yes. sometimes i wonder what goes on inside your brain. go back and CAREFULLY read this whole thread again. people are using stars and playmakers as synonyms. someone with your supposedly "intellect & insight" should be able to clarify the distinctions and bring them to the fore w/o insulting others.

#19 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,539 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:46 PM

"The Seahawks have SO MANY PLAYMAKERS...THE WHOLE TEAM DESERVED the MVP of the Superbowl." again, wasn't this the point bmore_ken was trying to make? stars not needed but playmakers yes. sometimes i wonder what goes on inside your brain. go back and CAREFULLY read this whole thread again. people are using stars and playmakers as synonyms. someone with your supposedly "intellect & insight" should be able to clarify the distinctions and bring them to the fore w/o insulting others.

Do you even know what a playmaker is? A PLAYMAKER is a player who can TURN A GAME AROUND. Like ED REED'S int's that he returned for TDs. HE'S A PLAYMAKER. HE'S A GAME CHANGER! The same with Lewis. He could plug a hole at a critical time in a game, force a fumble that turned a game around, etc. WHAT THE HELL DOES COREY GRAHAM have to do with any of that? Focus on your OWN reading and comprehension skills before trying to tell ME about it.

The Seahawks had so many play makers they could get guys suspended AND NOT EVEN SKIP A BEAT. They SHUT DOWN playmakers, which makes THEM playmakers. Or are you confused about that as well? Good lord. Stop wasting my time with your utter nonsense.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan, 08 April 2014 - 10:47 PM.

#20 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,539 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:48 PM

graham IS a playmaker. at least the way i'm using it.

LOL. Well...because it's the way YOU'RE using it, it MUST make it so.

(Thanks for the comic relief.)

But here's the REAL irony when it comes to you, of all people. All you did was whine for an entire year about the loss of Boldin. Now...a GOOD argument could be made that BOLDIN was a real PLAYMAKER. (Graham...please....I'm laughing too hard to even take that seriously.) But BOLDIN...now there, a case could be made. In fact, genius, YOU made that case. Ad nauseam.  So if you have a working brain, why not use YOUR OWN ARGUMENT, and be consistent, eh? Which PLAYMAKER took Boldin's place? NO ONE. You made that abundantly clear, didn't you? Or do you now have amnesia about that? So the POINT of this thread is that (other than your lame example of Corey Graham), the Ravens are lacking almost entirely in PLAYMAKERS. But then you come along, with even more genius logic, and insist: "Ken is right in what he's saying". Despite the fact that for over a year all you DID was whine about the LACK of a playmaker of Bolidn's ability. Dude. Are you drunk?

Edited by OriginalColtsFan, 08 April 2014 - 11:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users