omarrahman

terps open up 3 scholarships for this season

17 posts in this topic

turgeon got a break when nick faust, and shaq cleare left today. roddy peters split also. he would have been a nice backup ultimately. faust could never leave the aau courts behind and cleare was the worst player offered at md in decades. the big 7 1 dude now gets a ride and turdge has one more for next year. with trimble and dion wylie coming in, plus the twin towers[2 7 footers], i like the way the team is shaping up.

turgeon got a break when nick faust, and shaq cleare left today. roddy peters split also. he would have been a nice backup ultimately. faust could never leave the aau courts behind and cleare was the worst player offered at md in decades. the big 7 1 dude now gets a ride and turdge has one more for next year. with trimble and dion wylie coming in, plus the twin towers[2 7 footers], i like the way the team is shaping up.

You like the way the team is shaping up? Turgeon is a godawful coach. It doesn't matter how many kids he brings in, he's a HORRIBLE X and O coach. And he probably will have some serious issues recruiting the Bmore area, not only with Fausy leaving but with there being a strong possibility that Bino takes over the Coppin job. MD basketball is A MESS!

the real pronblem at md. is  anderson.  he is the one who gave turgeon the eight year deal. the terps r stuck with him unless a white knight comes forward and buys him out. 

You like the way the team is shaping up? Turgeon is a godawful coach. It doesn't matter how many kids he brings in, he's a HORRIBLE X and O coach. And he probably will have some serious issues recruiting the Bmore area, not only with Fausy leaving but with there being a strong possibility that Bino takes over the Coppin job. MD basketball is A MESS!

I don't think Turgeon forgot how to coach overnight. He took Wichita St to the sweet 16 about 9 years ago and never had below 24 wins with Texas A&M. I think us Terp fans have been spoiled by one of the great X and O coaches in Gary Williams. I agree the Faust situation may hurt recruiting in the Bmore area, but since Faust has gone there all of the top players have went elsewhere, so its not like he was getting Baltimore's best in the first place.

I don't think Turgeon forgot how to coach overnight. He took Wichita St to the sweet 16 about 9 years ago and never had below 24 wins with Texas A&M. I think us Terp fans have been spoiled by one of the great X and O coaches in Gary Williams. I agree the Faust situation may hurt recruiting in the Bmore area, but since Faust has gone there all of the top players have went elsewhere, so its not like he was getting Baltimore's best in the first place.

True, he did take Wichita St. to a sweet 16 but coaching a Mid Major isn't the same as coaching at a top tier school. Some girly a have the chops and some just don't. Look at Mike London at Virginia football. He was a star at Richmond and he might be the worst College Coach in America. Turgeon is very similar to me. Both are great recruiters that seem very much so over their heads in game.

I agree with Omar, Anderson is the real problem. First for not hiring Sean Miller and second for signing Turgeon to that contract!

Even though John Graham hasn't done much, I hope he remains on the team. 

the real pronblem at md. is  anderson.  he is the one who gave turgeon the eight year deal. the terps r stuck with him unless a white knight comes forward and buys him out.

So your excited about the future, but you don't like the coach having a long term deal....on what planet does that make sense?

I agree that Turgeon is unlikely to have turned into a bad coach overnight. He was dealt somewhat of a bad hand in Faust, and Cleare had promise of being way better than he turned out. You can say he's a bad game coach if you like, but he is not the one who makes decisions on the court. When the coach tells a kid what to do and he doesn't do it, who is at fault? I give him credit for cutting his losses with these three (I doubt they just walked into his office and asked to leave; I imagine he told them where they stood and they saw no future at MD).

Turgeon has had a bad hand dealt to him from day one. Our former Basketball Coach since the NCAA Championship got an F on recruiting. It's not the current coach going into the BIG 10's fault, it's the Athletic Department who have caused this mess. To win you have to recruit great players.

Turgeon has had a bad hand dealt to him from day one. Our former Basketball Coach since the NCAA Championship got an F on recruiting. It's not the current coach going into the BIG 10's fault, it's the Athletic Department who have caused this mess. To win you have to recruit great players.

Yeah it is. Turgeon just isn't good and neither are his recruits.

Yeah it is. Turgeon just isn't good and neither are his recruits.

His recruits were all good in high school. He hasn't developed them. Turgeon stinks and that's the bottom line. This might not even be the last transfer. UMD basketball is a mess!

The exodus of his own recruits worries me more than the exodus of Friedgen's guys under Edsall.

I don't "know" basketball well enough to have a confident idea of whether the guy's a "good coach" or not... but I can say this... every single time the Terps have been in a "last shot to win" situation in his time here, whatever happens never has the appearance of a designed play to me.  Never seems like they have a series of options and a guy with the ball reading which way to go.  It ALWAYS looks like an unplanned free-for-all... often with whoever just happened to get the ball first dribbling in to traffic and forcing a bad shot earlier than necessary.

Whether that's an accurate impression or not... it leaves me thinking he's probably NOT a good Xs and Os coach.

The upside is that Anderson can not pretend that the ship is not sinking.

Who wants to bet some of the incoming recruits will back out?*

*can they?

Seth Allen gone.

That's a killer.

The other, not hat big a deal. Losing Allen is huge. 

Turgeon recruited every player that got significant minutes last season. Either the recruits were overrated, he cant coach, or both.

What are you talking about? These are his players quitting.