Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Is Hank Aaron a HoFer without the home runs?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:38 AM

An interesting article:

http://fivethirtyeig...-hall-of-famer/

Short answer:  Hells yeah.

#2 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:50 AM

based on what he writes about in this article, I agree that he would still be a HOFer. but it's silly to say that all the focus and praise of his power is an injustice. Ripken is known for the streak, and that's his legacy. that doesn't mean no one recognizes his HOF credentials. I say that because the streak alone would not have gotten him to Cooperstown any more than it would have gotten Gehrig to Cooperstown.   

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#3 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,613 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

Interesting article.

I think this is the clearest example of why Bonds should still be considered for the HOF despite his PED use while McGwire and Sosa should be left out. Bonds was a more complete package while McGwire and Sosa would've been pretty average without the homeruns. 

"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#4 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:10 AM

Interesting article.

I think this is the clearest example of why Bonds should still be considered for the HOF despite his PED use while McGwire and Sosa should be left out. Bonds was a more complete package while McGwire and Sosa would've been pretty average without the homeruns. 

I agree. I don't want to see Bonds get in, but he was clearly a HOF talent. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#5 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:55 AM

Turn all of those home runs into singles, and he's still tied with Craig Biggio in 33rd place in total bases.

This has always been one of my favorite baseball stats:  Hank Aaron has almost a 1.12 MILE lead over Stan Musial in total bases.

Edited by Thirteen, 11 April 2014 - 10:55 AM.

#6 Navypost

Navypost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:09 PM

Without a doubt.

#7 SNAFU

SNAFU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,289 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:49 PM

Well, even if you took all of Aaron's homers away, he would still have at least one homer. An inside-the park-homer, hit on May 10, 1967 against the Philadelphia Phillies off of pitcher Jim Bunning hit to center field.

I don't have an 'ignore' list. I don't need no stinkin' list to remind me who I've ignored! I ignore the old-fashioned way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users