4 replies to this topic

#1 DreadPirateRoberts

DreadPirateRoberts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

Saw this come across Twitter feed of a MoCo athletic director:

Update from the MPSSAA Board of Control meeting: ALL teams will be seeded in sections for playoffs in 2014-15 fall & winter open tourneys.

Great news, should help even out the unfairness of a 5th place team playing on the road at a 12th place team just because of a blind draw.

#2 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,597 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:05 PM

This is the only fair way to handle things after that chaos from this past year. For all those who thought my fuss was unwarranted I have to say I told you so. I'm glad there are many out there that feel the same way I do as sometimes a little fuss goes a long way. Now the playoffs will be a lot more fair and the teams with the better record will get their just do.

Kudos to the MPSSAA for finally getting it right. I can rest my case.

Edited by 85Knight, 11 April 2014 - 11:13 PM.

#3 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:33 AM

The players and teams get it right, not the seeding rules or who goes where to play.  Like nearly every season, the best teams win.  It happened this past season under the so-called whacked setup and it will be the same under the scheme you hold near and dear and think is only fair.  You make a big to do about absolutely nothing in Maryland high school basketball.  It just makes you feel good.  How did the great thoughtful seeding work in the NCAA basketball tournament!! 

#4 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,597 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:47 AM

The players and teams get it right, not the seeding rules or who goes where to play.  Like nearly every season, the best teams win.  It happened this past season under the so-called whacked setup and it will be the same under the scheme you hold near and dear and think is only fair.  You make a big to do about absolutely nothing in Maryland high school basketball.  It just makes you feel good.  How did the great thoughtful seeding work in the NCAA basketball tournament!! 

Anybody who watched the playoffs knows that this is entirely not true. Do you honestly think they are changing the format for the helluva it or because they think things were out of whack and they are trying to improve them? If you think I am the only one who thought the seeding was unfair you are sadly mistaken.

You say the teams got it right? The classification that was effected the most was the 1a where Lake Clifton, New town and Joppatowne had to go on the road and play teams with worse records. Can we say with any certainty that Lake would have lost to Edmondson at home or that New Town would have lost to Central? Both games were close and even involved some questionable officiating that we know happens on the road in the playoffs. Edmondson benefited from this crazy setup and won the championship even though they had already lost to Lake and New Town earlier in the season. Edmondson might be the toughest gym to play in in the entire state and they took advantage of it but I don't think people feel like they were the best team in the 1a this year.

By luck of the draw Potomac and Wise were sec. II teams and got the home court advantage that they deserved and earned in the regular season but City had to play the region championship on the road. Don't think that just because City beat Reservoir that it wasn't a big deal. There was a lot said about an undefeated nationally ranked team not being able to play the region championship game in front of their home fans. If you didn't hear the hoopla then you weren't paying attention.

Even if the best teams make it to the championship it doesn't take away from the integrity being lost in the earlier rounds with random seeding and predetermined home courts. It took a lot of madness this year and a lot of complaining for the MPSSAA to wake up and get it right. It might not ever be perfect but seeding every team by record is the best way to go. I'm not sure what your comments about the NCAA tournament meant but everyone knows that the seedings this year were way out of whack. 

#5 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:51 PM

All what I am saying is that in the end, NO MATTER HOW the playoff draw is done, the best teams win the vast majority of the time.  And when they don't, it's the same as if the most objective and thoughtful seeding ever had been done.  In other words, it just doesn't make any difference because upsets happen in sports no matter where the events take place.  The best teams win whether games are played on the road, at home, in the best venue, or in a telephone booth.  What "higher seed" lost to whom in the earlier rounds is moot.  No one cares about any team but the championship winner in the end.  And there will only be four in Md high school basketball.  Nearly all others will be quickly forgotten, another cruel aspect of sports.

Seeding is a scheme stolen from tennis to help insure that matches people really want to see are not thwarted in the early rounds leaving little or no interest in later rounds of the better playing the not so better.  That's not the issue in Maryland high school basketball.  So if last season's scheme was done to save travel / tournament cost then that to me soundly trumps say Manchester Valley traveling four/five hours to play AlCo due to season play records, especially when they probably had no common opponents to truly draw seeding and it was all about Ws and L's.

You think only in terms of the confines of Baltimore City and not the broader issue of the state and state of high school sports.  You just may be right, Edmondson won it all and may not have been the best 1A.  But they probably beat the better 1A team for the title, AlCo - an outback western MD team second only to Dunbar I believe in state basketball titles, and on a neutral floor.  Go figure!  But your Baltimore confine thinking would probably say Lake Clifton, New Town or Joppa were the better 1A teams over Edmondson and thus those teams were handcuffed by the playoff scheme, right!

With respect to my NCAA basketball tourney comment, those teams were "seeded" and they pretty much played all the tourney games in pre-planned venues and not in the home and opponent's venue by seeding as you prefer and think is so fair.  I don't think it's at all fair and sporting for some undefeated power to play some .500 team in the power's venue and then get to repeat it as a #1 seed until the final title game.  There's nothing sporting and fair about that in a single game elimination tourney in my opinion.  That's a stacked deck to me.

Edited by DayWalker, 13 April 2014 - 09:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users