JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:12 PM

Yeah,

I know it doesn't feel like it but boy was I surprised when I checked the stats...

Chicago White Sox 285

NY Yankees 274

Orioles 263

Rangers 258

Red Sox 254

Just does not seem like we're hitting that well. I guess no one's hitting at the moment.

And... wait for it.

Runners in Scoring Position

Seattle 310

Orioles 293

White Sox 290

#2 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:30 AM

Yeah,

I know it doesn't feel like it but boy was I surprised when I checked the stats...

Chicago White Sox 285

NY Yankees 274

Orioles 263

Rangers 258

Red Sox 254

Just does not seem like we're hitting that well. I guess no one's hitting at the moment.

And... wait for it.

Runners in Scoring Position

Seattle 310

Orioles 293

White Sox 290

Numbers padded by yankee blow-out where we had 20 hits and 14 runs.  I think we have one other game where we scored 5 runs.  This is a poor offensive team I don't care what the numbers say.  Lousy on-base % , no speed and no way to manufacture runs.  Lough and Lombo only guys who can scratch out a run and they are part-timers.  Until we start bombing the long ball, we are going to suck.

#3 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,896 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:52 AM

This team can hit, they just can't get on base. Overall, I've been impressed with the collection of talent on the field. I'm hoping that the pitching catches up.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#4 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,378 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:53 PM

9th in MLB in batting average but 19th in runs scored.

Edited by Rob, 13 April 2014 - 04:06 PM.

#5 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,333 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:36 AM

I am not up on statistics, so I'm not sure what stat covers this (hitting with men in scoring position? Is that a stat that is kept?), but the Orioles just have trouble stringing hits together. I don't know what causes this. Is it their approach at the plate? Always swinging for the fences? Are they pressing too hard when guys are out there? Are they not pressing hard enough? We have good hitters, just not good clutch hitters. This seems like it has been this way for years (maybe all teams' fans feel this way). As good a hitter as Cal Ripken was, I used to think he was poor in the clutch (is he the all-time leader in hitting into double plays?) I have no idea what the answer is, but it is a problem for sure.

#6 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,853 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

before the last Blue Jays game, the MASN guys were talking about the approach used to beat Buehrle. They mentioned that he won't throw strikes if you will swing at balls. he started off throwing strikes and they jumped all over him in the first inning. so he adjusted his game and stopped throwing 1st pitch strikes. it seems like the O's hitters never counter adjusted. they kept going after that 1st pitch like it would be the only cookie they'd see, and their 1st inning run was the run they scored off of him. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#7 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,474 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:08 PM

Jones swung at the first pitch I think his first two times up yesterday. For some reason I found that infuriating. He made outs both times too. It just seems logical to see more pitches unless he's getting fat fastballs right down the middle. If he is and he's missing them like he is, he's not a very good hitter.

Edited by TheJudgement, 14 April 2014 - 12:08 PM.

#8 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,853 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:54 PM

Jones swung at the first pitch I think his first two times up yesterday. For some reason I found that infuriating. He made outs both times too. It just seems logical to see more pitches unless he's getting fat fastballs right down the middle. If he is and he's missing them like he is, he's not a very good hitter.

his first inning AB made perfect sense to swing at the first pitch, because the guys ahead of him were getting on MB right out of the gate. I won't say they had him on the ropes, but he was definitely back on his heels. AJ just didn't square up the ball. I don't remember the specifics of his 2nd AB though.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#9 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,474 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

Where's the power ?
Last year's league leading homerun team sure is not showing it this year.

#10 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,474 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

Orioles next to last in all of mlb in home runs. Only KC has less.

#11 where's earl

where's earl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,120 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:22 AM

It's April 20th, Manny and JJ have missed some games, repost in July. Bear in mind we have the toughest schedule in all of baseball in April. Hitters slump and always at the worse time. All will be well soon.

Show me a good loser in professional sports, and I'll show you an idiot." Leo Durocher
"I would rather beat the Yankees regularly than pitch a no hit game."
Bob Feller
"You win pennants in the off season when you build your teams with trades and free agents."
Earl Weaver

#12 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,474 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:32 AM

It's April 20th, Manny and JJ have missed some games, repost in July. Bear in mind we have the toughest schedule in all of baseball in April. Hitters slump and always at the worse time. All will be well soon.

Collective slumps are kind of weird to me. You have some good points. Adam Jones, JJ, and Chris Davis have shown no power yet. Matt Weiters and N. Cruz a little better.

#13 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,474 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:06 PM

I know very little about Delmon Young. Is he supposed to be a power hitter?

#14 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,853 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:30 PM

Where's the power ?
Last year's league leading homerun team sure is not showing it this year.

it's interesting that you're pointing out the lack of HRs. for the past two seasons, most folks on this board have been complaining that the O's are a 1 dimensional team that does nothing but his solo homers. Thorne said the O's lead the league in getting hits with RISP. and they have ben getting multiple extra base hits in most games.

#15 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,896 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:08 PM

The O's are going to be fine. They have a long lineup, and the team will heat up with the weather.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#16 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,474 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:23 PM

it's interesting that you're pointing out the lack of HRs. for the past two seasons, most folks on this board have been complaining that the O's are a 1 dimensional team that does nothing but his solo homers. Thorne said the O's lead the league in getting hits with RISP. and they have ben getting multiple extra base hits in most games.

I'm into balance! They are next to last hitting homeruns in the whole major leagues.

#17 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:48 PM

The home runs will come tonight...

While I don't necessarily think the O's are destined to lead the league in homers again, it's insane to think that the same team would go from first to last in homers over the course of an offseason.

#18 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:08 AM

bump!

The fact that these guys are consistently putting up five and seven and 11 runs on the board without the long ball speaks volumes. the home runs will come. When Manny comes back, and if they platoon Schoop and lombardozi at 2nd, you're going to see the best one through nine in the majors.

Edited by JoyinMudville, 25 April 2014 - 04:09 AM.

#19 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,853 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:04 AM

bump!

The fact that these guys are consistently putting up five and seven and 11 runs on the board without the long ball speaks volumes. 

can you clarify what you mean? Schoop hit a HR last night. 3 O's hit a HR Wed. night, one was Cruz's grand slam.  

#20 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,474 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:02 PM

It's getting better!!! Go O's!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users