Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Is it just me?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Poll: As an Orioles fan, who do you dislike more? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Red Sox or Yankees?

1. Red Sox (7 votes [43.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.75%

2. Yankees (5 votes [31.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

3. Hate 'em both equally (2 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. I don't really hate either one (2 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

or is anyone else starting to detest the Red Sox more than the Yankees?

#2 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,690 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:00 AM

I don't get hating a sports team

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#3 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,488 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:29 AM

I don't hate either teams. for me, the annoyances are their fans and how the baseball industry drives their chosen teams down the throats of baseball fans. I feel like a duck being force fed in preparation of becoming foie gras 

to clarify, yankee fans don't bug me. as a whole, they have the conceit that comes with success. in my experience, they start off brash, but they quickly settle into regular fan to fan conversations.

Boston fans are a whole other creature. they are so overwhelmed by their inferiority complex that comes from licking yankee arse for a century, that they have to dump on everyone to feel a sliver of self respect. so it's a non stop assult of how great they are, even before they won the recent WS championships.

ESPN should just change their name to YENESN. I get it, ratings matter, but there are 28 other teams. that's why I haven't turn on that channel in years. MLB & NFL networks have freed me from the daily servings of yankeesox pancakes   

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#4 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,401 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:47 AM

MLB Network has the best baseball coverage by far.

I agree that ESPN is too biased towards the Red Sox and Yankees.
"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#5 HAIL2BNG

HAIL2BNG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,003 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:05 AM

Yankee fans are insufferable. They deserve to have their arm pit hairs plucked one by one while watching the 7th game of the 2004 ALCS over and over.

Its no surprise that the SSA is a mess when they hire economists with pea brains.

#6 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,488 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

Yankee fans are insufferable. They deserve to have their arm pit hairs plucked one by one while watching the 7th game of the 2004 ALCS over and over.

good stuff  :D

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#7 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:09 AM

I get what Ken says - hate is not really a concept that needs to be applied to sports teams. But I voted above that I hate the Yankees more. Of all teams in sports I dislike the Yankees the most. I was raised that way, long before I moved to this area. As a little kid back in the Stengel/Mantle/Berra era, my dad and all the sports fans in my family detested the Yankees, because they were ALWAYS the team to beat, and so seldom beaten. One of my favorite things about the Orioles when I came here (this was the late '70s) was that they regularly kicked Yankee butt. I have an aversion to teams that are anointed by the media and people who don't especially follow sports, but are front runners. My perceptions change slowly, so even though I can sense the arrogance of the Red Sox people, I still want them to beat the Yankees.

#8 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,326 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:03 PM

I used to hate the Yankees more than any other team. But then, I started to respect their commitment to winning. The Red Sox became my most hated team with that damn Millar "cowboy up" bullcrap and then the beard crap.

Now, the Red Sox are easily my most hated team.

#9 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,401 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

It was easier for people to hate the Yankees when they were the team that could outspend any team to get the top free agents.

Now there's the Red Sox, the Tigers, the Dodgers, the Angels, etc. Heck, even the Mariners managed to outspend the Yankees this past off season.

As a Yankee fan, I take comfort in knowing that the owners will spend money to improve the team. But we're past the era where the Yankees could buy championships by outspending every other team...
"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#10 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:42 PM

MLB Network has the best baseball coverage by far.

I agree that ESPN is too biased towards the Red Sox and Yankees.

I wonder if it is because they're head quartered in Connecticut. Giants/dodgers is becoming a much more intense rivalry.

#11 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,763 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:27 PM

I wonder if it is because they're head quartered in Connecticut. Giants/dodgers is becoming a much more intense rivalry.

Yeah, I can't say I remember a Yanks or Sox fan getting killed at the opposing team's stadium.

I remember the 90's when ESPN used to follow all MLB teams. It was interesting and fun. I remember all the coverage the Royals got when they had Bo.
Now, the best player in baseball plays in LA, but compared to "Boston Strong", you don't hear a thing.

I don't hate either team, but I'm right there about some of the obnoxious fans. There was a time when Yanks' fans were the worst, but Boston has taken over that spot.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#12 Phineas Finn

Phineas Finn

Bewildered/Befuddled Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,961 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:45 AM

to clarify, yankee fans don't bug me. as a whole, they have the conceit that comes with success. in my experience, they start off brash, but they quickly settle into regular fan to fan conversations.

In our section on Sundays, a significant number of Yankee fans keep score -- since my wife and I do as well, we've come to appreciate the Yankee fans while we've grown tired of Boston fans and their attitude.

Edited by Phineas Finn, 15 April 2014 - 09:57 AM.

Over 10,000 posts -- who would of thought you could stuff that much crap into one little cyber bag?
This is the day that the Lord has made
. Let us rejoice and be glad in it!
Psalm 118:24

#13 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,488 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:16 AM

In our section on Sundays, a significant number of Yankee fans keep score -- since my wife and I do as well, we've come to appreciate the Yankee fans while we've grown tired of Boston fans and their attitude.

again, this is just my experience. when I sit near yankee fans at the game, or at a sports bar type of place, they bust on the O's a little. I've come to see it as an ice breaker. maybe it's their way of feeling out the local fan(s) to see what their personality is like. since I can give it and take it, conversations usually start up. some usual comments run along the lines of, "That Markakis is a good player, we sure could use a guy like that".

Red Sox fans are ridiculous, they say things like, "Chris Davis, tuh. You with you had Napoli. But you don't because he's awesome and Davis sucks, and you suck"   

#14 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,192 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:29 PM

again, this is just my experience. when I sit near yankee fans at the game, or at a sports bar type of place, they bust on the O's a little. I've come to see it as an ice breaker. maybe it's their way of feeling out the local fan(s) to see what their personality is like. since I can give it and take it, conversations usually start up. some usual comments run along the lines of, "That Markakis is a good player, we sure could use a guy like that".

Red Sox fans are ridiculous, they say things like, "Chris Davis, tuh. You with you had Napoli. But you don't because he's awesome and Davis sucks, and you suck"   

I had some Red Sox fans behind me stand up and clap and yell and cheer because Youklis hit into a 1-out fielder's choice.  You'd think it was a walkoff grand slam.  Jerks.

Fans that are actually from the Boston area tend to be ok.  It's the so-called "Red Sox Nation" aka front-runner fans that I don't like.

#15 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,488 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:48 PM

I had some Red Sox fans behind me stand up and clap and yell and cheer because Youklis hit into a 1-out fielder's choice.  You'd think it was a walkoff grand slam.  Jerks.

Fans that are actually from the Boston area tend to be ok.  It's the so-called "Red Sox Nation" aka front-runner fans that I don't like.

ahh yes, the local bandwagon, front runner fans. they're just laughable. they have this idea of how a NY/Bostan fan should behave, then they portray a cartoonish version of that persona. it's funny.   

#16 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

Way back when - probably somewhere between 81 and 83 my friend and i were sitting in the upper deck at Memorial Stadium when Carl Yazstremski (spelling?) was introduced.  A few O's fans behind us booed.  My buddy and I turned around and asked them how in the hell they could boo Yaz. "He's on the other team", they replied.  We responded with something like: But it's Carl Yazstremski guys, you don't boo one of the all-time greats.

My point is, that was in our house and we still respected the opponent.  I would expect opposing fans visiting ouir place to show the same level of respect.  I have not seen anywhere close to that from Bosox fans when I've been down there with one exception: at Brooks' day in 2012, two Bosox fans sitting next to us were very respectful during the ceremony and during the game.  Of course, they were already eliminated and the O's won handily (IIRC) so that may have mellowed them some.

On a side note, tonight was supposed to be my first O's game this year. Damned weather. :(

#17 where's earl

where's earl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,120 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:29 AM

It's about their fans and the way they mouth off. I moved to south Fla. and before I got here was neutral about the Heat, now I hope they never win again, their fans are totally rude and obnoxious.

Show me a good loser in professional sports, and I'll show you an idiot." Leo Durocher
"I would rather beat the Yankees regularly than pitch a no hit game."
Bob Feller
"You win pennants in the off season when you build your teams with trades and free agents."
Earl Weaver

#18 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:42 AM

It's about their fans and the way they mouth off. I moved to south Fla. and before I got here was neutral about the Heat, now I hope they never win again, their fans are totally rude and obnoxious.

Seahawks fans are the newest obnoxious jackholes in the NFL.

#19 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:31 PM

Red Sox fans are insecure. Yankee fans aren't!

#20 bawlmer_fan

bawlmer_fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:54 PM

Taking their chants to other stadiums is utterly obnoxious. Boston fans' thinking they've broken out of the Yankees' shadow are oblivious that they copy New York's chant.

For the record, i also loathe "Let's Go O's" for the same reason (taken from "Let's Go Mets").

Need to bring back and stick to Wild Bill's chant. … I don't care how long it is!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users