14 replies to this topic

#1 eaglesinsider

eaglesinsider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:23 PM

http://www.baltimore...0,7786058.story

Bold Prediction: This won't be his last college. I thought he'd have a hard time playing for a CAA school but was a perfect fit in the Ivy/Patriot due to intelligence and where he wouldn't be in over his head ability-wise. My guess is Michigan State found themselves thin at QB going into next year (didn't sign one on signing day) and needed an arm and found one who wanted the BCS-caliber label desperately enough to buy what they were selling.

#2 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,019 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:24 AM

He's a good kid, I'm excited for him. Knowing now the mess that was going on at CHC last year, I don't think you can hold it against the kid for wanting to be out of that mess. Especially with the commute he was making, he obviously wasn't happy. He's fortunate to be able to chase his dream.

#3 eaglesinsider

eaglesinsider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:15 AM

He's a good kid, I'm excited for him. Knowing now the mess that was going on at CHC last year, I don't think you can hold it against the kid for wanting to be out of that mess. Especially with the commute he was making, he obviously wasn't happy. He's fortunate to be able to chase his dream.

I've just seen this too many times. After signing day, if an FBS school is short on players, they have very few options because anyone who has signed a LOI is off the board. This eliminates players receiving ANY scholarship money at the DI-FBS, DI-FCS or DII levels. This leaves the following possibilities:

1. FBS walk-ons

2. Ivy League/Pioneer League recruits (non-scholarship leagues)

3. FCS walk-ons

4. D-II walk-ons

5. D-III recruits (no scholarships)

Those are your only choices if you need a player at this point in the year. Not exactly the most competitive field. Like I said, I've seen this many times before and I can't remember a kid from this group ever getting on the field.

#4 BigCountryToo

BigCountryToo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:31 PM

EI- Glad the last signing day for LOI is April 1. I would hate for him to fall into that group of kids never to get on the field.

#5 eaglesinsider

eaglesinsider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:35 PM

EI- Glad the last signing day for LOI is April 1. I would hate for him to fall into that group of kids never to get on the field.

Me too. I wish him the best. My rant was more directed at the FBS schools. My point was once you sign that LOI, no other college can sign you, since 95% of FBS eligible players sign on NSD, there are very few options left after that.

#6 dunkone

dunkone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:25 PM

wish the kid luck...at least he will be a preferred walk-on which will most likely mean he will have the chance to start camp with the team in august...you are only young once why not at least give it a shot....no regrets...I believe the Spartans are actually one of the big D1's who will  give their walk-ons a true chance to show what they can do.

#7 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:48 AM

I've just seen this too many times. After signing day, if an FBS school is short on players, they have very few options because anyone who has signed a LOI is off the board. This eliminates players receiving ANY scholarship money at the DI-FBS, DI-FCS or DII levels. This leaves the following possibilities:

1. FBS walk-ons

2. Ivy League/Pioneer League recruits (non-scholarship leagues)

3. FCS walk-ons

4. D-II walk-ons

5. D-III recruits (no scholarships)

Those are your only choices if you need a player at this point in the year. Not exactly the most competitive field. Like I said, I've seen this many times before and I can't remember a kid from this group ever getting on the field.

I thought the young man had like 7 D1 offers according to his Dad, maybe I'm wrong.  Tell you though it's a tough thing to go through for a kid.  With my boy missing his sr he had to struggle with several "preferred walk-on" offers to BCS schools, or go with one of the FCS scholarships.  Hard to explain to young 18 yr old on why you take the full ride and give up a chance to play on tv and in front of 70+ thousand.

#8 eaglesinsider

eaglesinsider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:24 AM

I thought the young man had like 7 D1 offers according to his Dad, maybe I'm wrong.  Tell you though it's a tough thing to go through for a kid.  With my boy missing his sr he had to struggle with several "preferred walk-on" offers to BCS schools, or go with one of the FCS scholarships.  Hard to explain to young 18 yr old on why you take the full ride and give up a chance to play on tv and in front of 70+ thousand.

Rivals shows offers from Cornell (Ivy), Bucknell (Patriot), Bryant (NEC), Eastern Kentucky (OVC), Toledo (MAC) and William & Mary (CAA). I though Kuhns was a potential 3-yr starter and 1-2 yr All-Conference guy in the Ivy, Patriot or NEC.

I always tell people that I've never met anyone who regretted playing at a level they could have success at, be it FCS, D-II or D-III. I know a ton of FBS guys who were either walk-ons or even scholarship guys who never saw much playing time who regret not going to a lower level and getting on the field.

I agree though, hard to tell a kid that and get them to understand.

#9 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,019 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:06 AM

Rivals shows offers from Cornell (Ivy), Bucknell (Patriot), Bryant (NEC), Eastern Kentucky (OVC), Toledo (MAC) and William & Mary (CAA). I though Kuhns was a potential 3-yr starter and 1-2 yr All-Conference guy in the Ivy, Patriot or NEC.

I always tell people that I've never met anyone who regretted playing at a level they could have success at, be it FCS, D-II or D-III. I know a ton of FBS guys who were either walk-ons or even scholarship guys who never saw much playing time who regret not going to a lower level and getting on the field.

I agree though, hard to tell a kid that and get them to understand.

But this isn't a preferred walk on situation. Per the article, it says that State offered him.

#10 eaglesinsider

eaglesinsider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:30 PM

But this isn't a preferred walk on situation. Per the article, it says that State offered him.

The Sun article is misleading, Michigan State offered him a chance to be a preferred walk-on (which every other article mentions):

http://www.mlive.com...l_adds_p_1.html

http://news.rotowire...69737-spcfb.htm

http://www.lansingst...ontinue-develop

Irregardless even if it was a scholarship situation, if a big school is scholarshipping someone this late, it's because they lost out on the guy they wanted (MSU lost a QB recruit to VT) and need a rep-saver.

#11 CHCCAPTAIN87

CHCCAPTAIN87

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:33 PM

Its a big difference offering a preferred walk on and a scholarship. My boy was offered a preferred walk on for Towson but he decided to go to Wilkes University where they offered scholarship for grades. 

#12 QB1SDAD

QB1SDAD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:16 PM

MSU Just got a Verbal from 4**** class of 15.

#13 TheGuru

TheGuru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:27 PM

The Sun article is misleading, Michigan State offered him a chance to be a preferred walk-on (which every other article mentions):

http://www.mlive.com...l_adds_p_1.html

http://news.rotowire...69737-spcfb.htm

http://www.lansingst...ontinue-develop

Irregardless even if it was a scholarship situation, if a big school is scholarshipping someone this late, it's because they lost out on the guy they wanted (MSU lost a QB recruit to VT) and need a rep-saver.

For a guy who always extols the virtue of a McDonogh education, you used words that don't exist in the English language: irregardless and scholarshipping (as a verb). I learned in middle school that the correct word is REGARDLESS and this is the 1st time ever in my life that I saw that verb used in any story, sports-related or not.

#14 eaglesinsider

eaglesinsider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:46 PM

For a guy who always extols the virtue of a McDonogh education, you used words that don't exist in the English language: irregardless and scholarshipping (as a verb). I learned in middle school that the correct word is REGARDLESS and this is the 1st time ever in my life that I saw that verb used in any story, sports-related or not.

I did not know that a message board is formal writing. Irregardless is a commonly accepted word that is oft used in some American dialects when one is speaking informally. If I was writing a paper or book, then and only then is irregardless unacceptable, which is probably what your middle school teacher was referring to. Scholarshipping is oft used informally in athletics circles as well, although I probably should refrain from using slang that the lesser-informed my have not heard before.

Do not fear, I will keep an editor on retainer so as not to offend the sensibilities of the "Grammar Nazis" (or maybe "Grammar Inquisitioners" would fit better in the case of a Calvert Hall College High School graduate). He will proof all of my postings before they are publicized. Please accept my sincerest apologies both for my erring in grammatical correctness on such a formal platform and for the impeding second consecutive losing season for the football-playing Cardinals of Calvert Hall College High School.

Edited by eaglesinsider, 22 April 2014 - 07:46 PM.

#15 TheGuru

TheGuru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

I did not know that a message board is formal writing. Irregardless is a commonly accepted word that is oft used in some American dialects when one is speaking informally. If I was writing a paper or book, then and only then is irregardless unacceptable, which is probably what your middle school teacher was referring to. Scholarshipping is oft used informally in athletics circles as well, although I probably should refrain from using slang that the lesser-informed my have not heard before.

Do not fear, I will keep an editor on retainer so as not to offend the sensibilities of the "Grammar Nazis" (or maybe "Grammar Inquisitioners" would fit better in the case of a Calvert Hall College High School graduate). He will proof all of my postings before they are publicized. Please accept my sincerest apologies both for my erring in grammatical correctness on such a formal platform and for the impeding second consecutive losing season for the football-playing Cardinals of Calvert Hall College High School.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users