• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:59 AM

I find it quite amazing that Duquette acquired 4 key contributors to this year's team straight out of the bargain bin.  Young and Meek were minor league signings.  And he flipped to prior minor league signings (Valcencia and A. Gonz) for Lough and Lombardozzi.  The guys he picked up still have a lot of tread on their tires being in the 25-30 range .  I don't know what their combined salaries are, but it can't be much.  This is akin to an NFL GM finding gold in a seventh round draft pick or a free agent college kid.  Duquette is good, he is really good!

#2 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,963 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:24 AM

Young 1,000,000 with 750,000 in incentives.
Meek 800,000
Lombardozzi 517,500
Lough 510,500

So 2,828,000 plus whatever additional Young gets.

#3 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:35 AM

DD has done an amazing job of finding quality players in unlikely places. I made jokes when he was brought in, and I ate that crow. I don't question his moves any longer.  

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#4 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,318 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

Wasn't he part of the expos? Explains it. Remember how the expos were everyone's minor league team for talent?

#5 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

Wasn't he part of the expos? Explains it. Remember how the expos were everyone's minor league team for talent?

he was, he knows how to succeed on a budget.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#6 demopublican

demopublican

20,758 posts 1 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,028 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

Could be a special year. DD is our new Ozzie
"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#7 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:01 PM

Could be a special year. DD is our new Ozzie

a couple of analysts picked he O's to go to the world series. I don't put much stock in pre-season predictions, but it's a nice change of pace from predicted to finish in the basement of the AL east

Edited by weird-O, 19 April 2014 - 01:01 PM.

#8 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,744 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:58 PM

He's a thrift store shopper that knows what he's looking for...and he's constantly looking. He probably would have kept Bautista when the O's had him a few years back. He also has Buck, who knows how to get the most out of players.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#9 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,445 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:13 PM

Lough's 28, decent AVG but no power.  He's very likely never going to be an every day player.  A pinch runner / defensive replacement / 4th or 5th OF.  Lombardozzi is more or less the same guy, but younger.   Delmon Young is 28 (i.e. not exactly a prospect and unlikely to get any better at this point) with a little power, no speed, not much glove, and no OBP.  Meek is 30, has a few really good seasons on his resume (most recently 4 years ago) and has pitched about 8 good innings so far.  These guys are mostly backups / role players at best.  Granted, you need them to produce, but they're not exactly front-line "plus" players as of yet...  but if this team contends and/or makes the post-season, you chances are very high that they'll be WAY down the list of reasons why...

The vast majority of the pieces that have made this team competitive the last 2+ years were acquired by prior management. 

Edited by Ravens2006, 19 April 2014 - 04:16 PM.

"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users