• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 beasley1915

beasley1915

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:46 PM

It would b interesting to know what the O's offered him long term this past off season if they did indeed do so. I'm sure it was a nic sum and he and his agent said no but if he keeps going down this path he's on which I don't even know if it could be considered average he's going to be getting considerably less.

#2 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,138 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:43 AM

DD vaguely referenced an offer. When Davis was asked about it during fanfest, he jokingly commented, "how much was it for?" if there was an offer, neither side has discussed it publicly. 

personally, I'm not worried about his offense. the season is only 3 weeks old. plus, he has multiple extra base hits and increased plate discipline. no one wants to come to a 50+ HR hitter. so he's willing to take the walk. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#3 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,553 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:17 AM

DD vaguely referenced an offer. When Davis was asked about it during fanfest, he jokingly commented, "how much was it for?" if there was an offer, neither side has discussed it publicly.

personally, I'm not worried about his offense. the season is only 3 weeks old. plus, he has multiple extra base hits and increased plate discipline. no one wants to come to a 50+ HR hitter. so he's willing to take the walk.

I've noticed that too. I assume Davis isn't seeing many good pitches these days. I wouldn't worry as long as he keeps getting on base.

I wonder why Cruz isn't batting behind Davis. It seems like that would be the logical way to get pitchers to throw strikes against Davis
"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#4 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,450 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:18 AM

It would b interesting to know what the O's offered him long term this past off season if they did indeed do so. I'm sure it was a nic sum and he and his agent said no but if he keeps going down this path he's on which I don't even know if it could be considered average he's going to be getting considerably less.

His career averages says he's going to get paid big time, be it by us or someone else. It's only April. Miguel Cabrera is hitting .220 with 1 homer and 7 RBI. Just sayin'

Edited by bmore_ken, 21 April 2014 - 08:19 AM.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#5 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,138 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:47 AM

I wonder why Cruz isn't batting behind Davis. It seems like that would be the logical way to get pitchers to throw strikes against Davis

I've wondered that too. I've concluded (from other comments that Buck has made) that he wants to get the maximum plate appearances out of the guys who are seeing the ball well. with Wieters hitting well, he's probably providing enough protection to Davis. the alternative is to let Lough hit near the top of the line up, but he's not doing much with his PAs, so Buck is probably making the right decision.

on the other hand, I feel like Lough - Lombo - Flaherty is just an easy 1-2-3 inning for every pitcher. Lough would probably see better pitching if he had the hammers right behind him.  

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#6 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,866 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:59 PM

on the other hand, I feel like Lough - Lombo - Flaherty is just an easy 1-2-3 inning for every pitcher. Lough would probably see better pitching if he had the hammers right behind him.  

Maybe that's why the bottom of the order has delivered big time for this club this year. Each of those guys has had some serious clutch hits/games so far this year.

#7 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,138 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:28 PM

Maybe that's why the bottom of the order has delivered big time for this club this year. Each of those guys has had some serious clutch hits/games so far this year.

you're right, Lough has had some clutch hits, and Flaherty has made the most of the few times he's put the ball in play. but by and large, they've been really bad. RF is hitting .209 and DL is hitting .135. I don't mean to impugn Lombo. he's a great utility guy, but he's easier to exploit when he's surrounded by guys who are have struggled to reach, or have yet to reach, the Mendoza line.  

#8 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,866 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:32 PM

you're right, Lough has had some clutch hits, and Flaherty has made the most of the few times he's put the ball in play. but by and large, they've been really bad. RF is hitting .209 and DL is hitting .135. I don't mean to impugn Lombo. he's a great utility guy, but he's easier to exploit when he's surrounded by guys who are have struggled to reach, or have yet to reach, the Mendoza line.  

I refuse to accept Flahtery as an everyday major leaguer.

#9 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,138 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:31 PM

I'm with you

#10 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,288 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:49 PM

He was in the very early going. The lineup has actually been juggled around quite a bit so far this year. Last year when I would make the game threads I could pretty much guess the entire lineup based on righty or lefty pitcher. This year it's much more fluid.

#11 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,166 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:47 PM

What a difference a year makes:

58 ab
10 r
22 h
6 2b
0 3b
7 hr
21 rbi
.379 avg

60 ab
11 r
15 h
4 2b
0 3b
1 hr
9 rbi
.250 avg

#12 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,553 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:15 PM

What a difference a year makes:

58 ab
10 r
22 h
6 2b
0 3b
7 hr
21 rbi
.379 avg

60 ab
11 r
15 h
4 2b
0 3b
1 hr
9 rbi
.250 avg

He seems to be doing pretty well for a guy who's off to a slow start. Except for the batting average and homeruns, there's not a huge difference. 

Just be glad the Orioles don't have Prince Fielder

"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#13 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,866 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:07 PM

He seems to be doing pretty well for a guy who's off to a slow start. Except for the batting average and homeruns, there's not a huge difference. 

Just be glad the Orioles don't have Prince Fielder

Nobody's pitching to him and everything seems to be tight inside. He'll make the adjustment.

#14 Struds

Struds

Moderate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:54 AM

Nobody's pitching to him and everything seems to be tight inside. He'll make the adjustment.

Yeah, I'd rather he struggle now then down the stretch.

#15 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,224 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:35 AM

For the first time, I do too. He hasn't utilized that beautiful swing the way I thought he would.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users