#1 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:08 PM

The O's are calling TJ McFarland up from Triple A to help with the bullpen. Someone needs to go down or be released. My hunch is Steve Pearce is about to be dfa'd or that Hardy is going to go on the 15 day.

#2 demopublican

demopublican

20,758 posts 1 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,337 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:16 AM

15 days without Hardy would not be good.
Does any of this help us sign him long term or make it clear that we shouldn't?
"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#3 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,485 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:45 AM

we've seen what the O's look like w/o Hardy. are you comfortable with Schoop playing 3B fulltime? if they don't extend Hardy, Manny moves to SS, and 3B becomes a pit of errors and miscues. the alternative is to find a rock solid FA to bring in and play 3B next season. 

here's the list 

Third Basemen

Yuniesky Betancourt (33)
Wilson Betemit (33)
Alberto Callaspo (32)
Eric Chavez (37)
Jack Hannahan (35) – $4MM club option with a $2MM buyout
Chase Headley (31)
Casey McGehee (32)
Donnie Murphy (32)
Nick Punto (37) – $2.75MM club/vesting option with a $250k buyout
Aramis Ramirez (37) – mutual option
Hanley Ramirez (31)
Pablo Sandoval (28)
Ty Wigginton (37)
Kevin Youkilis (36)

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#4 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:48 AM

I had that same thought; could his value have dropped enough due to these injuries that we will be able to afford him?  I hope so, because like Weirdo says, the O's without Hardy is not an comfortable thought.

#5 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,762 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

Hardy has been injured this year, but he's been pretty reliable for the O's. Schoop just needs to go down and have some more time to refine his game. Once he gets completely comfortable, he will be fine.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#6 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,485 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:45 AM

Schoop just needs to go down and have some more time to refine his game. Once he gets completely comfortable, he will be fine.

maybe it's just that he isn't experienced enough at 3B to play it at the MLB level. he was Manny's DP partner in Bowie, and he seems to be doing well enough at 2B. losing Manny & Hardy simultaneously has been a drain on the D. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#7 joe cool

joe cool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:13 AM

we've seen what the O's look like w/o Hardy. are you comfortable with Schoop playing 3B fulltime? if they don't extend Hardy, Manny moves to SS, and 3B becomes a pit of errors and miscues. the alternative is to find a rock solid FA to bring in and play 3B next season. 

here's the list 

Third Basemen

Yuniesky Betancourt (33)
Wilson Betemit (33)
Alberto Callaspo (32)
Eric Chavez (37)
Jack Hannahan (35) – $4MM club option with a $2MM buyout
Chase Headley (31)
Casey McGehee (32)
Donnie Murphy (32)
Nick Punto (37) – $2.75MM club/vesting option with a $250k buyout
Aramis Ramirez (37) – mutual option
Hanley Ramirez (31)
Pablo Sandoval (28)
Ty Wigginton (37)
Kevin Youkilis (36)

Wow that is an ugly list, the only 2 I would consider from that list would be Sandoval, he has decent but not great numbers in 6 years, or Hanley Ramirez, who has put up good numbers but is now in his 30s and will start declining soon. Hanley Ramirez would be a decent pick up but he’ll probably want BIG money and a long term contract, so Sandoval may be a better option, even though he is struggling badly so far this season, he is younger and will give you similar numbers.  

If you guys move Machado, assuming he comes back healthy, to short then Sandoval or Ramirez could be a decent 3rd base option, unless a trade can be worked out with another team which looks tough at this time.   :cool:

GO YANKS:cool:

It is great to be back home!!!

Go Yankees, Go Giants, Go NY Where Champions Are Born!!!;)

#8 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,485 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

Wow that is an ugly list, the only 2 I would consider from that list would be Sandoval, he has decent but not great numbers in 6 years, or Hanley Ramirez, who has put up good numbers but is now in his 30s and will start declining soon. Hanley Ramirez would be a decent pick up but he’ll probably want BIG money and a long term contract, so Sandoval may be a better option, even though he is struggling badly so far this season, he is younger and will give you similar numbers.  

If you guys move Machado, assuming he comes back healthy, to short then Sandoval or Ramirez could be a decent 3rd base option, unless a trade can be worked out with another team which looks tough at this time.   :cool:

word around the MLB campfire is that Hanley Ramirez wants to be a yankee, and the yankees want him too. they'll move him back to short  to replace Jeter next year. his defense sucks, but he's an offensive presence, so he fits in with NY's philosophy of power before defense.

Sandoval is too uneven of a player. his weight problems and fluctuating production are fine when he's under team control, but he's a risky proposition as a big $$$ FA. there's no way the O's would go after him. I don't think he'll leave SF, unless they have someone to replace him from their farm system..  

#9 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,188 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:26 PM

word around the MLB campfire is that Hanley Ramirez wants to be a yankee, and the yankees want him too. they'll move him back to short  to replace Jeter next year. his defense sucks, but he's an offensive presence, so he fits in with NY's philosophy of power before defense.

Sandoval is too uneven of a player. his weight problems and fluctuating production are fine when he's under team control, but he's a risky proposition as a big $$$ FA. there's no way the O's would go after him. I don't think he'll leave SF, unless they have someone to replace him from their farm system..  

Hanley Ramirez would be perfect for the Yankees.  Expensive, aging and injury prone. 

#10 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,485 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:31 PM

Hanley Ramirez would be perfect for the Yankees.  Expensive, aging and injury prone. 

yep, he fits the profile. 

#11 joe cool

joe cool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:09 PM

You may be right on Hanley but I would take him over Afraud anytime, unfortunately that POS will be back next season to bring more misery to Yankees fans everywhere, he is not man enough to do the right thing and just go away!!LOL :lol:   

GO YANKS:cool:

It is great to be back home!!!

Go Yankees, Go Giants, Go NY Where Champions Are Born!!!;)

#12 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:15 PM

The O's are going to sign Hardy for three years.

Schoop belongs at 2nd.

He's played a total of about 20 some games at 3rd. I'm a big proponent of "if it's not broke, don't fix it" mentality and an infield of Davis, Schoop, Hardy, Machado is the best in the game both offensively and defensively.

If you need to free up money for Hardy, don't resign Markakis.

#13 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,485 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:01 PM

Fare thee well Steve Pearce.

He'll have no problem getting picked up by another team. then he'll come to town and kick the snot out of O's pitching.

#14 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,091 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:35 PM

They don't need Pearce at all, no surprise here.

#15 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

It's been cold and that hasn't helped Hardy.

#16 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,188 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:16 AM

You may be right on Hanley but I would take him over Afraud anytime, unfortunately that POS will be back next season to bring more misery to Yankees fans everywhere, he is not man enough to do the right thing and just go away!!LOL :lol:   

Arod is forever.

#17 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:51 AM

Arod is forever.

What's going to happen to Solarte when Arod comes back?

#18 Agrippa

Agrippa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:23 PM

yep, he fits the profile.

definitely not Oriole material now, too young, too healthy. Wait 6 years and he'll be starting in LF in Baltimore for an injured Nolan Reimold

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users