35 replies to this topic

#1 demopublican

demopublican

20,758 posts 1 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,070 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:20 PM

BOSTON -- The Boston Red Sox let it slide the first time, when Michael Pineda pitched with what appeared to be pine tar loaded on his arm in a game in New York on April 10.

Red Sox manager John Farrell said before Wednesday's game he hoped if Pineda were to use pine tar again, he'd be more discrete.

Sure enough, in the second inning, with the Red Sox leading 2-0, camera images on the NESN broadcast revealed a shiny substance caked on Pineda's neck. Shortly afterward, Farrell called time out, requested that home plate umpire Gerry Davis check it out and Pineda was ejected.

http://www.masslive....ed_for_app.html

Edited by demopublican, 23 April 2014 - 07:21 PM.

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#2 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,598 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:49 PM

I hate hypocrites

http://espn.go.com/b...bstance-to-ball

http://espn.go.com/b...orris-thinks-so

"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#3 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,976 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:28 PM

Ain't hypocritical. Pineda was being sooooo obvious. Plus he did it just the other week against the Red Sox and Farrell took heat for not saying anything after the loss. Pineda forced the issue by being a total fool.

#4 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,598 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:59 PM

Ain't hypocritical. Pineda was being sooooo obvious. Plus he did it just the other week against the Red Sox and Farrell took heat for not saying anything after the loss. Pineda forced the issue by being a total fool.

I agree that Pineda isn't very bright but given the recent history of the Red Sox, it's hypocritical...

#5 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,744 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:55 PM

For the longest time, I don't remember hearing much about this. All of the sudden, I'm hearing about all of the cheating again. Buchholz is a cheater - I have no doubt.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#6 demopublican

demopublican

20,758 posts 1 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,070 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:11 PM

Which is worse?  PED's or a little junk on the ball?

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#7 kelsey59

kelsey59

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,477 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:19 PM

It would have been less noticeable if he just would have taken a can of pine tar to the mound with him.

#8 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,598 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:57 AM

Which is worse? PED's or a little junk on the ball?

Pitchers and hitters use pine tar to get a better grip. There's no performance enhancement

#9 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,976 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:13 AM

I agree that Pineda isn't very bright but given the recent history of the Red Sox, it's hypocritical...

You'll notice that after Lester and Buchholz were seen they haven't been since. So either they stopped or they're hiding it better. And that's basically what Farrell said borh before and after the game. Hide it better and there's no problem. But when you're that blatant multiple times against the same team, what's he gonna do? Come on, he had no choice.

#10 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,598 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:45 AM

You'll notice that after Lester and Buchholz were seen they haven't been since. So either they stopped or they're hiding it better. And that's basically what Farrell said borh before and after the game. Hide it better and there's no problem. But when you're that blatant multiple times against the same team, what's he gonna do? Come on, he had no choice.

No disagreement. Someone in the Yankees' dugout should've stopped Pineda from going out to the mound with tar on his neck. I just get tired of Red Sox players getting caught doing stuff and never being punished.

According to MLB Network, Lackey had something on his wrist last night.

#11 Norman

Norman

Underachiever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,773 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:12 AM

Pineda's a dope for having it in such a visible spot after the hubbub from the last time it was spotted on him.  ESPN was zooming in on it...Farrell really couldn't ignore it this time.  ESPN spent the rest of the game trying to hype/create some retaliation.  They were getting so annoying I switched to the Boston feed.  The more important issue though is how does Girardi let him wear his hat crooked???? :mad:

#12 HAIL2BNG

HAIL2BNG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,000 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:47 AM

Pineda's a dope for having it in such a visible spot after the hubbub from the last time it was spotted on him.  ESPN was zooming in on it...Farrell really couldn't ignore it this time.  ESPN spent the rest of the game trying to hype/create some retaliation.  They were getting so annoying I switched to the Boston feed.  The more important issue though is how does Girardi let him wear his hat crooked???? :mad:

The funny part is I don't think Farrell wanted to do anything because he knows his guys do it too. Pineda left him no choice with the huge goop on his neck.

Its no surprise that the SSA is a mess when they hire economists with pea brains.

#13 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,389 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:54 AM

Pitchers and hitters use pine tar to get a better grip. There's no performance enhancement

Buck was asked about that situation. he said, hitters can use pine tar, I don't understand why pitchers can't. 

it seems logical to me. unless I'm mistaken, pine tar won't increase the effect of breaking balls. you need a slippery substance for that. I'm sure the issue isn't using pine tar. I bet the issue is that MLB is afraid pitchers will doctor up something that looks like pine tar, but will actually be more like Vaseline. and it's a valid concern, because you know they would. :D  

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#14 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,598 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:31 AM

Buck was asked about that situation. he said, hitters can use pine tar, I don't understand why pitchers can't.

it seems logical to me. unless I'm mistaken, pine tar won't increase the effect of breaking balls. you need a slippery substance for that. I'm sure the issue isn't using pine tar. I bet the issue is that MLB is afraid pitchers will doctor up something that looks like pine tar, but will actually be more like Vaseline. and it's a valid concern, because you know they would. :D

The green substance Lester had in his glove during the WS looked like Vaseline.

I think the rule bans all foreign substances because it's not exactly clear where to draw the line. The biggest problem I have is that it's selectively enforced. Of course that's because the managers, not the umpires, are basically the enforcers. It's tough to call pitchers on other teams out when you know your own guys do it. I agree that Pineda gave the Res Sox no choice.

#15 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,517 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:57 PM

Put me in the camp that just doesn't care. I'd rather pitchers know where 90+ mph projectiles are going than not.
The kids are alright.

#16 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,389 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:24 PM

Put me in the camp that just doesn't care. I'd rather pitchers know where 90+ mph projectiles are going than not.

I don't think anyone really cares. As Soulflower touched on, it's too complicated to address it by trying to add exceptions. it's just easier for everyone to ignore it  

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#17 Norman

Norman

Underachiever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,773 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:43 PM

10 game suspension....

#18 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,389 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:34 PM

10 game suspension....

that's kinda lame. but I guess MLB had to do something, no matter how small of a violation it really is.

#19 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,976 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:27 PM

Gaylord Perry:

"Of course pine tar is a performance enhancing substance.  Why do you think so many pitchers are using it? It absolutely helps your sinkers to sink better and breaking pitches to break better.”

Dwight Gooden:

Lets put to rest all this talk about pine tar to get a better grip on the ball to protect the hitters! Pine tar is used 2 make ur breaking pitches sharper and help ur sinker 4 more movement. You can blow in hour hand for a better grip when it’s cold. Enough already!”

#20 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,598 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:04 PM

Gaylord Perry:

Dwight Gooden:

Well that settles it.  :rolleyes:

Pine tar has been around a looooong time. If there were anything substantial to support those claims, the issue would've been settled a long time ago.

Most pitchers use it and most hitters don't care about it because they use it too :P  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users